[First Batch Shipped Out] FAQs of Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module for Snapmaker 2.0

So, I’m hoping we aren’t at the point where it is impossible to change the identifier that is related to the $50 Smart hot ends that we were given. Ideally it would be great to be able to go into Luban and update the hot end piece with information that you have changed the nozzle size.

For example, I use 1 mm nozzles quite often, but I don’t see 1mm nozzles even listed on their store page. How do we get the hot end to recognize that there is a 1mm nozzle on there? Same question for all the sizes of nozzles that they do not have listed on their store.

I suppose the real question that I should be asking, is what advantage or increase in time efficiency does that smart identifier give us? Would it allow us to slice something using the same printing profile, and the printer would adjust flow and possibly other settings accordingly? Or is it perhaps just a quick cursory glance that tells you, “hey, you have a 1mm nozzle installed, don’t print this .2mm file until you’ve changed nozzles” kind of thing?

I think, an open, programmable ID chip would have been the most versatile solution. The resistor is second-best, as it is easy to understand and with a bit of skill interchangable. The worst case would have been a closed source, proprietary chip. All this is however not too relevant, since you can override the auto-detected value in Luban, which is a minor inconvenience. The autodetect will save you a few clicks with the mouse - not much of an issue, not much gain. So all is good I would say.

Hallo zusammen, Mein Dual-Extruder ist jetzt auch schon seit einer Woche bei mir. Grundsätzlich wie immer eine super Verarbeitung und eine tolle Ergänzung zu meinem A350T. ABER: bereits nach der einrichtung förderte die linke Düse nicht mehr. Die Spannung für die Filamentzuführung war zu gering, da die Verriegelung immer wieder aufgebrochen ist. Support kontaktiert und erhalten eine Abhilfe im Form einen Blocks (STL). Auch wieder den alten Kopf angeschlossen und die beiden Blöcke gedruckt. Dann wieder den neuen Kopf angebaut, blockieren rein und “Automatisch” Kalibrieren. Nun, ich habe ein interessantes Loch auf meiner Druckoberfläche… Ich denke, wenn das alles wieder nur für 100% Bastler ist, geht der neue Kopf zurück. Ich habe die aktuelle Firmenware auf dem Snappi installiert. Ich bin gespannt, was der Support jetzt mit dieser Anfrage wird :slight_smile:

Hello everyone, My dual extruder has been with me for a week now. Basically, as always, great workmanship and a great addition to my A350T. BUT: already after setting up, the left nozzle was no longer pumping. The tension for the filament feed was too low because the lock kept breaking open. Contacted support and received a workaround in the form of a block (STL). Also reconnected the old head and printed the two blocks. Then put on the new head again, block in and “automatically” calibrate. Well I have an interesting hole on my print surface… I think if this is all just for 100% hobbyists again the new head is going back. I installed the latest firmware on the Snappi. I’m curious to see what support will do with this request

Hi, immerhin funktioniert bei Dir die Hälfte des Kopfes, bei meinem funktioniert das Einziehen des Filaments überhaupt nicht. Allerdings gehe ich hier tatsächlich von einem Defekt des Kopfes aus, da nicht das geringste zu sehen oder zu hören ist, wenn das Filament geladen wird. Ich dachte erst an einen Fehler in der Firmware (wäre nicht der erste…), aber das Problem wurde hier noch nie erwähnt (Hurra, Erster! :stuck_out_tongue:)
Mail an den Support ist geschrieben, aber bislang kam noch keine Antwort, was auch verständlich ist, wenn vermutlich hunderte von Leuten schreiben, dass die sehnlich erwartete Hardware einfach nicht funktioniert, wie man es erwartet, noch dazu zu dem Preis.
Alles wirklich unerfreulich, aber zum wegwerfen ist der Drucker halt doch zu schade. Mal abwarten, das sind wir schließlich schon gewohnt.

Hi, at least half of the head works for you, for mine the filament feed does not work at all. However, I really assume a defect of the head here, since not the slightest thing is to see or to hear when the filament is loaded. I first thought of a bug in the firmware (wouldn’t be the first…), but the problem has never been mentioned here (hooray, first! :stuck_out_tongue:)
Mail an den Support ist geschrieben, aber bislang kam noch keine Antwort, was auch verständlich ist, wenn vermutlich hunderte von Leuten schreiben, dass die sehnlich erwartete Hardware einfach nicht funktioniert, wie man es erwartet, noch dazu zu dem Preis.
Alles wirklich unerfreulich, aber zum wegwerfen ist der Drucker halt doch zu schade. Mal abwarten, das sind wir schließlich schon gewohnt.

Das was Du gerade geschrieben hast, hat mein Drucker gehört :slight_smile:

Bei einem Test Benchy mit PLA Black und PLA Silver, wurde der Rumpf in silber gedruckt.
Als dann der Wechsel zwischen silber auf schwarz kam, alles ok. ABEr dann wieder zu silber? Nein, die eine Düse wollte ich mehr fördern…

Nun also loch im Bett, linke Düse zu wenig Spannung bei der Filamentführung, rechte Düse will nicht mehr fördern und ich bekomme die Düse auch nicht aus dem Kopf entfernt, sitzt also fest…

My printer heard what you just wrote :slight_smile:
In a test Benchy with PLA Black and PLA Silver, the fuselage was printed in silver.
When the change from silver to black came, everything was ok. But then back to silver? No, I wanted to promote one nozzle more…

So now hole in the bed, left nozzle not enough tension when guiding the filament, right nozzle no longer wants to pump and I can’t get the nozzle out of the head either, so it’s stuck…

Tut mir leid, ich weiß, dass ich IT alleine durch meine Anwesenheit beeinflusse (es ist eine Gabe und ein Fluch), aber das war nicht meine Absicht :smiley:

Gibt es schon irgendwo eine Aussage dazu, wann eine Ersatzlieferung ankommen könnte? Wenn ich mir die aktuellen Lieferzeiten anschaue, werde ich wieder sechs Monate warten müssen, oder?

Sorry, I know I’m affecting IT by my presence alone (it’s a gift and a curse), but that wasn’t my intention :smiley:

Is there a statement when a replacement might arrive? Looking at the current delivery times, I will have to wait six months again, right?

Care to share that STL file for the block?

Hallo, @brewery.chump0x

Klar teile ich es mit Dir / Euch.

Anbei die STL und Auszüge aus der Mail vom Support an mich.

Grüße

—————————————-

Hello, @brewery.chump0x

Of course I share it with you.

Attached is the STL and excerpts from the email from support to me.

Greetings
Block.stl (158.2 KB)

4 Likes

Kann aber doch nicht sein, dass man über 400€ zahlt und dann so eine Bastellösung braucht?!

Thank you!!

1 Like

Moin @Raptor

das sehe ich genauso. Deswegen habe ich mich auch an den Support gewendet.
Dort kam die „Bastellösung“.

Anschließend habe ich genau diesen Unmut noch einmal mitgeteilt.
Daraufhin kam die Information von Support, das es ein „Reparatur-Kit“ für dieses Problem geben soll.

Das meine Heizbettauflage zur den automatischen Z-Off „zerstört“ wurde, wurde kurz damit abgehandelt, das ich ein Ersatz erhalten soll.

Das bei komplett neuen Artikel immer mal was sein kann, ok.
Das es auch zu solchen Problemen kommen kann, ok.
Aber: Das es wohl schon bekannt ist, also schon bei Auslieferung ……
Denn ich scheine ja mit in der ersten Auslieferungswelle zu sein….
DAS finde ich sehr schade, denn das hätte man gerne ansprechen können.

Besonders wenn man aktuell von Mitbewerbern die vermeintlich einen ebenfalls sehr hohen Produkt/Qualitätsstandard haben (Bambu Lab P1P) für gerade mal 250€ mehr einen kompletten Drucker bekommt.

Naja, ich gebe dem Support zumindest noch die Möglichkeint zu reagieren, noch habe ich eine Anfrage offen.

———————————

Hi Raptor,

I feel the same way. That’s why I contacted the support.
There came the “tinkering solution”.

Then I shared exactly this displeasure again.
Then came the information from support that there should be a “repair kit” for this problem.

The fact that my heating bed cover for the automatic Z-Off was “destroyed” was dealt with briefly so that I should receive a replacement.

That something can always happen with completely new articles, ok.
That it can also come to such problems, ok.
But: That it is probably already known, i.e. already at the time of delivery ……
Because I seem to be in the first wave of deliveries….
I think THAT is a pity, because it would have been nice to have been able to address that.

Especially when you can currently get a complete printer from competitors who supposedly also have a very high product/quality standard (Bambu Lab P1P) for just €250 more.

Well, I’ll at least give the support the opportunity to react, I still have an open request.

2 Likes

Installed and calibrated the dual head today. So adding to my observations earlier:

Good:

• Auto-Z levelling - that is sooo nice! Had to manually adjust the left by -0.05 mm and the left by +0.05 mm, but that’s not really an issue.
  • The calibration procedure is well thought through - only suggestion for improvement: include a chance for Z-height-adjustment for both nozzles during the X/Y-calibration. Like printing a longer line with each head for fine-tuning the Z-offset.
  • The nozzle change mechanism is really clever. I like that!

Bad:

• The feeder levers - others already reported that, and mine are barely holding (yet), but on the right nozzle I heard the extruder clicking and pressed the lever back in place before it popped. I guess I’ll need the ominous “repiar kit” also…
  • It would have been absolutely no problem to mount the head 2 cm higher - there’s enough room to the enclosure roof!

Minor thing: Found a “bug” - temp management with the test cross needs improvement.

I used firmware 1.15.13, and yet did not run into any issues, but beyond calibration I basically did not do anything else.

2 Likes

The +/- 0.05 (0.5 was wrong - sorry, will edit the original post) can even be avoided: In the calibration menu there’s “Sensor calibration” which seems to be exactly there for this purpose - you once manually calibrate both nozzles and the sensor offset is gone… This is however still a somewhat unprecise operation, but improved my setup now to 0/+0.05 mm L/R. I guess I’ll at some point do another one with something more precise than the calibration card, and taking more care than on first try.

Despite the botched start, I see development in the firmware - I guess in the end I’ll be happy!

Hope I do not annoy anyone with flooding this thread with my observations… Since at some point I think of adding a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint to my setup, I was wondering how much power reserve the PSU might have to power that Raspberry with the dual extrusion head - turns out: none! The Dual head maxes out the PSU if you follow this thread: Snapmaker 2.0 A350 Power Supply Requirements - #5 by xchrisd - the single extruder may push it to 290W - so a second 30W heater may peak the power consumption to 320W, right where the PSU is spec’ed. I guess when I add the Raspi, it’s a seperate PSU for it…

Whats about adding a bigger and better PSU into snapmakers power unit? Is there space to add some more powerful meanwell or something similar?
Especially because I hope to get the new cnc run on it later on.

Having a cursory glance at Meanwell PSUs, there seem to be more powerful units that might fit into the Snapmaker housing. If you indeed plan to add a more powerful CNC spindle powered from the Snapmaker power rail, this might be a reasonable invest. However, be aware that the controller outputs seem to be limited to 5A (if I remember correctly), so 120W is max what you can draw from a single socket - which seems to be the reason the 200W spindle from Artisan cannot be retrofitted to the Snapmaker 2.0.
For my use case - the Raspberry - I am not willing to spend more than 100 bucks for a PSU upgrade, where a 5 buck wall wart will do the job of powering the Raspberry all the same.
I also have some nebulous plans to add a more powerfull CNC spindle to the Snapmaker, but I guess I’ll just have one with a seperate PSU.

I run Octoprint and deliberately put it on its own power supply. I have the SM plugged into a Wi-Fi power outlet, and can remotely cut power as a last option if the camera on the raspberry pi sees the print failing and other stop methods fail. In this case, I don’t want to lose access to Octoprint.

@Wellnice can you share photos or steps of your laser module modification? I have both the original laser and the 10W, so I’d be interested to see which you moded and whether I can replicate

Please use this thread only for discussion about the Dual Extruder.

I modded the 10w version.

This entire “module” replaces the stock part.
Compressed air nozzles are made of metal.
2023-02-16 09_26_58-Window

This is the entire module.

left side cut with mod, right side stock:

1 Like