[First Batch Shipped Out] FAQs of Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module for Snapmaker 2.0

I don’t need it urgently so I’m fine with it.
I just hope it is a good product with way better part cooling.

1 Like

I too received a coupon code and it all makes sense now. In retrospect, I’m actually somewhat pleased to be in the second tranche in late February. Sometimes that last push to ship on deadline can have outwardly visible effects. I am fine with letting the first recipients work out any issues if they surface. Most of all, I want to hit the ground with my wheels spinning and there will be much knowledge gained in the community in the run-up to the next shipments. Snapmaker Support has been top notch for me. Adding that to an active and informed community will make for an exciting first experience. I’m looking forward to all the great posts! Cheers to ALL!

1 Like

Hi shudman, most units in the first batch (orders placed on Sept 27) have been shipped out and you will receive an email update on the delivery and tracking status soon.

Hurrah - the unit actually arrived today (I am in the UK, and ordered on the 27th Sept) !!

Looks massive compared to all the other print heads. :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you for giving the rest of us hope!! Lol!! :wink:

1 Like

Interesting thing, really…
The mail confirming my order arrived at 16:26 on 27th Sept., GMT+1. In my opinion this ist 23:26 Bejing time, so why didn’t I hear a word since the “we are so sorry that your shipment is delayed mail”? Btw without any voucher, which I don’t really need, as I can’t say, when I will place my next order in this shop. So no shipping information until now, no tracking - nothing.

And yes, I’m waiting desperately, as my old printing module stopped working in July last year. So I waited for the pre-order, I waited for arrival, I waited again after the shipment was delayed and have a guess - I am still waiting. The only thing that worked perfectly is the payment.
No chance to print anything for almost six months, only an expensive pile of rubbish at the moment. Sad, just sad :frowning:

I sent something to customer support on the 19th, not expecting a response because of Chinese New Year. Surprisingly, I got a reply on the 25th:

We apologize for the delay in replying to emails due to the Chinese New Year holiday.
Thanks for reaching out to Snapmaker.

Your order has been arranged to ship out by air.
The tracking number for the order is [China Post Tracking Number].

The logistics status will be updated after the package has arrived at its destination and finished customs clearance.
I have urged the freight forward to speed up the process of delivery and hope you can receive the package sooner.

If you have any problems, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
I hope you have a nice day.:grin:

I’ve been checking the tracking number since then, and it’s only been showing this:

I doubt the tracking number is valid after it gets to the US, so I’m hoping the status means it left China customs, is hopefully past US customs, and is close to delivery.

The timing of all of this really sucks. I’m pretty sure anyone with them on the way will not get tracking info until after it’s received.

I’ll post here when it arrives for anyone curious.

1 Like

You can’t get anything on the China tracking. Just wait for the delivery. And also the shipping guys in China has holiday…
Be patient. Will arrive.

Why do people like you feel the need to post such unproductive things?

“You can’t get anything on the China tracking.” That’s pretty much what I figured.

“Just wait for the delivery.” We have been waiting since December, with no communication unless we asked for it.

“And also the shipping guys in China has holiday…”
No crap, I said that.

“Be patient.”
We have been patient, since September. When the ship date was promised to be December. It’s not unreasonable to expect communication when what was promised wasn’t fulfilled.

“Will arrive.”
I know that. However, the updated title of this post is “[First Batch Shipped Out]” on the 19th. When they make this statement: “the first batch of the Dual Extruder Module owners will start receiving packages next week”, it’s a fairly broad time-frame.

As I stated previously, I only received an email from support because I inquired. The purpose of my last post was to provide information (what little bit I had) that others likely did not have, not to illicit a response from someone content with being in the dark.

1 Like

Here’s another update for anyone curious.

Looks like I was wrong about updates on the China shipping side. Saw this update last night:

I don’t read Chinese, but the translation from Google says, “Departed from Terminal, airline departure China”

I’m expecting some radio silence while the domestic tracking number is created, but hopefully Snapmaker is true to their word and give an update “around Jan 29”. Sounds like it won’t be too much longer to receive them.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I got mine in Canada on Friday, and didn’t see any tracking ahead of time, so they are making it out there.

4 Likes

It updated this morning again. Finally made it to the states.

Still no status from Snapmaker. I realize it will be here soon, but do better with communicating Snapmaker.

Still no update on my end. only showing that it has confirmed the order…from Sept 27th. Ugh. :person_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

Finally got mine last week. Website didn’t update until after it was already delivered. So don’t fret if yours doesn’t update. It will still be on it’s way.

I ordered on September 27, yesterday I received the package :grinning: ( a few hours earlier information to track the order :face_with_hand_over_mouth: ). So it looks like all orders will come sooner or later delivered .

Thanks for all the info.

Additional question: can the double extrusion module be used with two hot ends of different sizes? For example, using a .6 hot end for the main filament and a .4 hot end for the support filament?

Yes, but I don’t know if Luban will support that. You will most likely need to use a different slicer.

Hi folks,
my Dual Extrusion Head arrived last week Thursday. Germany, ordered on first day of Preorder campaign. Got a tracking notification the day before delivery by the delivery service.

I will not be able to test the printhead for another one or two weeks, since I am in the middle of another project, but I want to share a few first thoughts:

Good:

• The toolhead is robust and looks well-designed - the articulating hotends seem a clever idea to me.
  • The bowden tube solution for the enclosure is well thought through, with nice little details like stow-away clips for the time you do not need the tubes (i.e. when milling or lasering)
  • They thought about the spool holder, and every scenario is covered. Nice! Only thing: The second spool holder is shorter than the first - no idea why.
  • The thermistor is now in a capsule and fixated by a screw. Reduces the risk of thermal runaway/fire:
  • Exchangeable hotend modules - that may quicken the workflow.
  • The hotend modules seem not to be encoded with a chip, but “only” with a resistor. I like that - if you decide to keep the hotend and just exchange the nozzle, you may change the resistor (needs soldering skills) and have auto-detection in place. I can even imagine using a variable resistor to encode the hotend “on the fly” - available space might be an issue there. A propriatory chip might have made life more difficult.
  • Feeder: The feeding wheels, which may suffer from abrasive filaments, look exchangeable and perhaps are even standard parts, easy to source. Not too sure about it, but certainly the feeders are better maintainable as compared to the single extrusion head.

Not so good:

• It weighs 1.05 kg - that’s hefty! I hope moving around this mass is not inflicting print quality at higher speeds…
  • Mounting points/loss in build volume - It was to be expected that the double nozzle will result in less build volume since each nozzle will not be able to access the same places as the other at the edges in X. However, there’s loss in build volume in Y and Z also, which IMHO at least partly might have been avoided. To illustrate this, here the old and new print head aligned (you are supposed to use the red circled mount holes with Snapmaker 2.0):

You can see how much you loose in Z! I do not understand why they did not put the mount holes lower, at the same height as those that I assume are for the Artisan. A reason might be that with the plug on top you’ll get in a tight situation with the enclosure roof, but I think with a bit of additional engineering of the jack that might have been avoidable. I might at some point decide to use the alternative mount holes if I need more Z. This will even more decrease accessible X-width, but in Z it would add 2 cm. That would still be 2 cm less than the old head, but the mechanics need to go somewhere, I can understand that.

The loss in Y-direction seems unavoidable with the extra mechanics in the head, so nothing to be done about that:

Here’s the difference in X with the suggested mount holes (the old nozzle is basically in the center between the dual nozzle config, which makes sense) and the “wrong” mount holes (additional loss in X):

Intended mounting:

“Wrong” mounting:

Things I’m not so sure about:

• Pogo pins - I have had problems with pogo pins, especially with high currents like for the heater - bad connections, sparks, unreliable connections… Let’s see how the Snapmaker pogo’s perform in the long run.
  • The levers of the feeder and the hotend modules are made from plastic. Since they are exposed to some heat, there’s a chance that they over time get brittle and may snap. However, they seem exchangeable, so repair hopefully will be possible.

First posts of made things in Facebook look not too shabby, but not too great either, but I guess people need to tune in a bit. All in all I expect good results!

4 Likes

The chip on the hot ends, is it re-programmable in Luban? I change nozzles quite often, and it would be a drag if you had to solder something onto that in order to change what it recognizes the nozzle as.

This resistor (not a chip!) is used to automatically recognize the size of the nozzle. It’s just a helpful option! However, you can always change the nozzle size manually in the Luban settings.
Here is Melitta’s explanation:

and