[First Batch Shipped Out] FAQs of Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module for Snapmaker 2.0

@Wellnice tolles Mod für den Laser, gibst du die stl und deine Informationen über weitere Material etc. weiter?

——————————
@ Wellnice great mod for the laser, do you pass on the stl and your information about further material etc

I’m not sure if there is something wrong. I placed my order for the DX on 9/27, but it still hasn’t shipped yet. Anyone else have this issue?

1 Like

It’s coming. I ordered mine the same day and I got it about 2 weeks ago (I’m in Louisiana, USA). They just aren’t very good at updating their shipping information

1 Like

Did you receive a mail informing you about the delay? If so, did it include a 25 $/€ voucher? If so, you most likely were not in the first batch. If you did not get a voucher, your chances are high it will arrive any day.
Even if you ordered on day #1 of the preorder campaign, you might end up in batch #2, since Chinese time is relevant.

1 Like

I’m actually not the owner of this mod. I found it via Youtube and bought the module.
It is made with an SLA printer, the nozzles are brass, and a tube is attached with a zipper.

You’ll need an air compressor with 3bar+.

I’ll ask him whether I can share the STL file.

Dual extruder is constantly clogging. Plastic is getting stuck in the heat break area nearly every print. The only way I’ve found to remove this plastic is by taking a torch to the thing, heating it up enough to dislodge it. I haven’t been able to get a successful print out of this thing for around a week now. I have a feeling it has to do with improperly tuned standby temperatures, but that’s just an inkling. Anybody else having this issue?

I had the issue with Pla. Switching to petg reduced it. But disassembled the unit until fixed.
Maybe I give the new 15.17 a try

I also have real problems with the retraction and oozing.
After updating my a250 to 15.17, I gave the dual extruder a new chance. I also added the stl blocks of snapmaker to lock the Filament gears.
Calibration was directly okay, the only Thing was that the right hot ends oozed like hell.

I started a retraction calibration which I also use for the single extruder, but the results are still really bad. My calibration cube looks like a tree with all distance and time values. I just tested the left hotend right now. I will try to run my calibration for the other extruder tomorrow, but i am really tired of the dual head right now.
Someone maybe has good and evaluated values for us?

It seems to be related to the profile/settings used: Dual extruder stops to extrude

Not necessarily, but here’s a bit of my experience - I have hopes that with a bit more retraction tuning I’ll get there. Cura & Dual Extrusion head first try

I have had the dual extruder for about 3 weeks, using the Benchy for testing. I have installed addition fans and adjusted temperatures. However, I haven’t made good looking Benchys. Extruders plug, a lot of stringing, hitting of the part as the extruder moves from one color to the other.

Did you ever hear back about this ominous repair kit?

@Hauke,
Leider habe ich noch nichts bezüglich des Kits gehört.
Ich soll nun aber einen neuen Dual-Extruder und eine neu PIE Platte bekommen.

—————————————

@Hauke,
Unfortunately I haven’t heard anything regarding the kit yet.
But I should now get a new dual extruder and a new PIE plate.

They sent me “This is a temporary solution, a permanent solution is in the works and will be available as an aftermarket part at a later date.” on my compliant to print small parts to get a 500€ print head work properly.
But I really lost my enthusiasm for this Module. Still working with the single extruder and this is just printing. 40h print and you don’t have to take care or be careful. It is just doing its job. No oozing, no clogging. Maybe one day I can do this also with the dual head. I will give a new try in two Firmware releases. And maybe there will be useable cura profiles then with wipe tower support etcpp.

I am so with you. Paying the price of a 3d printer to get this dual extruder model has been an extreme let down for the price point. It has come with quite it’s fair share of issues for being so expensive.

For Cura, I have noticed that there are certain settings that help prevent blobs when switching nozzles. I enabled a few settings such as Z hop and a variety of other related settings. Doing so enabled me to print repeatable, tiny models with a lot of retractions. That is, IF it doesn’t clog.

I also increased the “Nozzle switch retraction distance” to somewhere around 7-10 mm to prevent filament oozing. These are the results I’ve gotten so far. Far from perfect, far from what I’d expect $400 hardware to print. I can say I’m done giving SM money after this release, that’s for sure.

There are some small bits of encouragement that things can [almost] work with the dual extruder. I am seemingly a bit of a p*ssy here, and have not plugged it in, as I have seem all of the nightmares people have experienced. Like @Wyphorn I am waiting for a few more revs of firmware, as I don’t want this DX smashing though my bed, not calibrating, not oozing, not pinging the door open, not holding the filament, head(s) not getting to temp. Wow…I sound like a right whiner…but not prepared to try it… yet. And yes, I realize that sounds really wasteful of good money.
@SM you are not immune from people asking for their money back (probably via credit card company), and that would be pretty bad for you. People not trusting your products, is a sure way to go out of business. Teething problems ? Yeah, we get it…however I am getting the feeling after the whole shipping shenanigans, there are some underlying problems here that you are not seemingly grasping, Not being open/transparent, and taking far too long to fix and placate your customers is an issue. I have to be honest, I do expect better, as the printer with the single extruder has been fantastic…but do not sit on your laurels and expect me to spend any more money if you can’t be 4rsed to make products work properly.

@shudman ,
ich habe es probiert. Ich war und bin immer noch sehr frustriert wegen dem Dual-Extruder.
Über 400 € für etwas, das nicht einmal ansatzweise geht.
Ich war mit einer der ersten, die einen Dual-Extruder geliefert bekommen haben.
Nach 2 Tagen habe ich dann schon den Support angeschrieben, siehe meinen Post oben.
Und bereits 2 Tage nach der Auslieferung hat man mir das Reparatur-Kit in Aussicht gestellt.
Also hat man wissentlich etwas ausgeliefert, das nicht richtig funktioniert.

Nach sehr vielen Mails wurde mir dann gesagt, das ich alles zurücksenden kann, aber ich muss selbst das Filament wieder zu 100% mit einpacken.
Ausserdem wollte man eine Einlagerungsgebühr in höhe von 10% haben.

Ich habe es anschließend meinem Anwalt gegeben.
In Deutschland hat man das recht auf 2 Nachbesserungen / Reparaturen.
Wenn diese fehlschlagen, dann ist der Verkäufer verpflichtet alles zu stornieren und das Geld zu 100% zurück zu geben.

Daher auch die erste Ersatzlieferung, die in den kommenden tagen kommen soll.

Ich finde es schade, das man immer Anwälte einschalten muss.

Besonders da ich mit Snapmaker sehr zufrieden war und bin.
Nun habe ich mir einen Bambu Lab X1C mit 2x AMS gekauft und werden den SM 350 nur noch zum Lasern nutzen bzw. wenn der Dual-Extruder mal wirklich funktioniert, bei größeren Objekten.

Aber als zukünftigen Kunden hat mich Snapmaker verloren. Nicht wegen den Technischen Problemen, das kann immer passieren, und das auch besonders bei neuen Artikel. Sondern wegen der Art und weise, wie grundsätzlich mit uns Kunden umgegangen wird. Das ist nicht nur schade, sondern wirklich nicht gut für das Geschäft. Mangelten Kommunikation ist niemals gut.
Und Fehler bzw. Mängel kann man immer eingestehen, das ist ein Zeichen von stärke und vertrauen!

Grüße aus dem Norden Deutschlands,

Maik

@shudman,
I tried it. I was and still am very frustrated with the dual extruder.
Over €400 for something that doesn’t even begin to work.
I was one of the first to get a dual extruder.
After 2 days I already wrote to the support, see my post above.
And just 2 days after delivery, I was promised the repair kit.
So you knowingly shipped something that didn’t work properly.

After a lot of emails I was told that I can send everything back, but I have to pack the filament 100% myself.
They also wanted a storage fee of 10%.

I then gave it to my lawyer.
In Germany you have the right to 2 improvements / repairs.
If these fail, then the seller is obliged to cancel everything and give 100% of the money back.

Hence the first replacement delivery, which should come in the coming days.

I think it’s a shame that you always have to involve lawyers.

Especially since I was and am very satisfied with Snapmaker.
Now I’ve bought a Bambu Lab X1C with 2x AMS and will only use the SM 350 for lasering or if the dual extruder really works, for larger objects.

But Snapmaker lost me as a future customer. Not because of the technical problems, that can always happen, especially with new items. But because of the way in which we, customers, are treated as a matter of principle. That’s not only a shame, it’s really not good for business. Lack of communication is never good.
And you can always admit mistakes or shortcomings, that’s a sign of strength and trust!

Greetings from northern Germany,

Maik

3 Likes

I don’t blame you for keeping your single extruder up and running for now. I’m just glad I didn’t get over-excited and install it before I finished my last commission or I would have been another level deep in delays. I mean, just look at what they said directly on their store page. I don’t think that the product they advertised is what we got. Hyped up to say the least. They included a picture that demonstrated the quality in which this thing prints. I have never gotten a result like this even after a day of tuning two specific filaments to the print head.

And along with it came this quote,

“Meanwhile, the 68-teeth gears with a 12 mm diameter allow for sufficient contact surfaces with the filament they are pulling in, applying steady force so your filament won’t come out of the nozzle all beaten up. So back to the question: what’s the other end of the equation? The answer is flawless extrusion with 20 mm³/s flow rate and high quality results.”

Key here being, “Your filament won’t come out of the nozzle all beaten up.” and " Flawless extrusion… and high quality results." Neither are true, at least so far. This quote does not describe features of the advertised product, but Problems that plague the hardware.

2 Likes

I‘m still waiting for my dual extruder module.
Actually i get an UPS Code, but it says „code created, waiting for package“ (since a few days).

But if i read all this stuff here, i‘m not sure if it was the right decision buying the dual extruder.
I bought the 10W Laser too, works good. Only the cooling/process cleaning could be better.
For me is it the same, some technically problems are „normal“ but shipping the modules while knowing it, bad communication is a no go!

I would not give up that quickly. It i not the first time that the Snapmaker products had teething problems. And while I don’t like it and say that a product of this price better would be good from the start, I still have seen that they somehow fixed their problems, and usually have been forthcoming in the end to those who suffered. Patience however is needed.

We’ll see…

1 Like