Things to do first with a new J1

In order to make things easier for new users (and for myself when my J1 will arrive as it seems to take a little longer than expected), this is an attempt to make a list of the hardware-related things to do first when you get your J1, based on the topics I found here in the forum so far. I referenced the forum entries where I got the corresponding information from. Please refer to these entries for details. Feel free to add anyting I might have forgotten!

1. after unpacking your J1, check if the linear bearings are greased properly first to avoid damages by running them dry. If not, grease them. Keep in mind that at the moment, the greasing procedure mentioned in the handbook is frankly insufficient and in the process of being revised (Topic: Help, terrible beating noise)
  2. remove the hotends and make sure there is a sufficient amount of thermal compound on the cold side of the heat break to reduce the risk of a clogged hotend (Topic: Potential fix for J1 clicking and clogging).
  3. While the hotend is apart, it does not hurt to check the inside of the heat break - poor polishing in there increases the risk of clogs.
  4. Set up the printer. Do not forget that depending on the firmware version you get the printer with, you may need re-do all calibration after the first firmware update.
  5. Do not blindly trust the automatic calibration procedure. Check (and - if needed - manually fine-tune) bed leveling, for example with a test model such as the one on Printables. (Topic: Bed Leveling springs)
  6. When using the J1, keep in mind that a full-metal hotend is not as forgiving as the PTFE lined hotends you might know from your previous printer. This is not something you can blame Snapmaker for (apart from not offering PTFE line hotends for the J1) but rather a general tradeoff you have to live with in exchange for being able to print with high temperatures and high speeds. According to the Reprap forum (clogging issues with red PLA from RepRapper Tech), an oil-based coating as you would to an iron pan works for a 3D printer hotend as well. (Topic: Constant extruder skips/clog warnings)
  7. If you print any heat-sensitive material, remove the lid (or use spacers such as the ones there: Printables) and consider leaving the front doors open. PLA is the most obvious case, but others may benefit as well.
5 Likes

Nice write up! Good for you J1 users :+1:
Would be good to make it a wiki, if you want to.

Thanks Mechanikus. Appreciate the advice. The only issue I seem to have is with the right extruder throwing a filament load error quite frequently. I followed the advice others have posted and tightened the grub screw on the gear (it was a bit loose), but the problem still hasn’t resolved. Not sure if the grip on the filament on the right is weaker than on the left. Any advice?

1 Like

Apart from the things mentioned above (what you explain might be something related to clogging): not yet, sorry - as noted above, I am still waiting for my own J1 and only collect and share anything that might be helpful to get the machine up and running as smooth as possible.

Please be so kind as to refer to any threads about your problem in the forum or create a new one - this thread is really just intended to provide an overview.

1 Like

Appreciate your quick response Mechanikus. Apart from the grub screw being loose, I took the side plates off the nozzles to see if there was anything else causing the problem. All else looked good, so I thought I would try another print, this time changing slicer settings.

I reduced the retraction distance to 2mm (down from 6.5mm default) and found this made little difference. I have found however that reducing the retraction rate from 40mm/s to 25mm/s seems to have fixed the issue. This is for PLA and PLA+. For some weird reason, only the RHS nozzle seems to have this issue. I have managed to get 2 successful prints in copy mode without any feeder issues now :slight_smile: