Discussion of Snapmaker 2.0 Firmware Updates

Sounds a bit that the finished production of the dual printing head outpaced the software development, and they hastily shot out a poorly tested version to allow the early receivers of the print head to use it, avoiding frustration of them. But in the end it seems they caused more frustration that way… Facebook groups are full of unhappy users stuck in an update loop. I guess shooting out a badly tested update right before being off for a week is one of the worst ideas the guys yet had…

2 Likes
1 Like

Apparently the latest official V1.15.11 has the inline power modification merged. However, it still has missed the one merge that breaks turning the laser off during transient lines if power is S0.
Can you confirm?

1 Like

Hi @nivekmai

The dual extrusion 3d printing module feature was merged in Snapmaker2-Controller.

1 Like

@OldFart @HorstBaerbel

Sorry for the reply late.

We release a quick fix version for yesterday for resolving Touchscreen blank issue, and we are looking into the add-on issues now, I will update here when we confirm this. Sorry for the inconveniences.

I have installed the latest version of the firmware 1.15.13 and the dual extruder head in a SM2 350t with Luban 4.5.1. The calibration works. However, when I attempt to print using both extruders the layers are off-set and it looks like and partially upset deck of cards. The part generally moves to the front right but is not uniform. It prints from the left extruder okay.

I have the dual extrusion with firmware 1.15.13. The machine losses the Z reference height when the machine is restarted after being powered down. The Z axis stops about 30-40 mm above the print bed and starts to print at this height in mid air.

I have the dual extrusion head and firmware version 1.15.13. I can’t get the R extruder to work because it will not move to the correct height to start the print. I can’t do a Z height correction if using the R extruder only.

Alan,
Do you know why Snapmaker hasn’t been returning service issue email requests from customers for the past few weeks now, do you?

I have solved all the above problems except the right only extrusion, but not pursued it. 1. I uninstalled the dual head. Installed FW version 1.14.3 from the USB stick. Installed the single extruder head, calibrated and ran a good part. I then installed FW version 1.15.13 from the USB stick. I then calibrated and ran a good part on the single extruder head. I installed the dual head and calibrated. I ran a single color print from the left extruder and the layers shifted. I ran a 2 color print and the layers shifted. I turned off the machine, turned it back on and calibrated. I ran a good single color print. I then went back to Luban version 4.5.1 and reloaded and sliced the 2 color print. (Benchy boat). I used the alignment option and grouped the bodies. I then transferred the Gcode via wifi to the printer and ran a good part. The following day I started the machine and ran both the single color and 2 color print with success, without any calibration.

Hello, its normal my snapmaker 2.0 in the Firmware update via WiFi find the version 1.15.15 but report its beta???
Its all ok??

thanks
Paolo

No idea… I have just updated my machine to that version and was also a bit worried about the “beta” statement. However, since I plan to try out the dual extrusion head in the next days, I had not much choice than to switch to 1.15. And since all before versions of 1.15 (.11, .13) have known bugs up to even crashing the Snapmaker into a endless update loop, I decided that the .15 “beta” can hardly be worse…

That said, I guess every 1.15.x is basically a beta… If you do not have the dual extrusion head, I recommend to stay on 1.14.3 for a while…

It seems that they shot out both the hardware and the software a bit too hastily, the hardware having issues with the filament levers popping,the software with all kind of things. I hope they learn from that and do not repeat this mistake. Many people are rather disappointed.

Thank You!
For the users with the stable realease 1.14.3 it would not be better not to allow the integrated software on wifi to view and update to a beta version?, OTA should remain in the stable version and only via usb an aware user can update…

I have updated because I always had the problem of the loss of the z offset set by me(1.14.3), later I will switch to version 2 of the firmware with the vibration compensation.

I got the dual extrusion head, too. But I am too scared to try it.
I think they cyberpunked this upgrade.

Hi, in the German version of the firmware 1.15.13 the menu calibration is a mixture of german, english and chinese. Can you please fix this. :slight_smile:

Just ran through first time dual nozzle setup procedure. I like the auto Z leveling! However, I found a bug(?) - maybe/most likely it is only the GCode of the test model you print during calibration… However, you can see how the nozzle ending its job (before handing over to the other nozzle) goes to first 185°C, and then down to 150°C “standby” temperature. When a nozzle is prepared for printing after standby, it is first set to 185°C, then to 200°C. However, after the 185°C to 200°C change, the model GCode does not wait for the nozzle to reach target temp…
Small thing, but of course influences the print.

Just discovered two new features in the new firmware:

• On the fly flow control adjustment! Yay!!! Hope they did not only implement this for the dual extruder head…
  • Standard calibration patterns now offered in the levelling menu: 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 (at least for A350…).

If they now also implement on-the-fly part cooling fan control and 0.01 mm Z-Adjustment steps, I’d call it “feature complete” :slight_smile:

I haven’t checked it in practice yet - but I think these parameters can be set for each filament - see below:

It would make sense - because for different filaments these temperature levels will be different, etc

Ah, great, was thinking that there’s control over this from the slicer. In the end it is just GCode - wait or do not wait. My point partly was that the test model, which is hard-coded into the firmware (I think…) has room for improvement, since starting PLA print at 185°C my be a tad low for some brands.

I recently received my dual extruder and tested the latest firmware v1.15.15_20230210 and found several bugs that make it almost unusable/dangerous.

1. If you start a print on either head from USB stick or memory (I was using the right side) using one nozzle and attempt to change temperature of the nozzle during the print using the touchscreen, the temp setting will revert to “-1” and the hot end will run-away going over 300 degrees. The seems like an uncontrolled fire hazard, the nozzle smokes, and the filament burns oozing out like runny liquid.

2. Manual leveling is broken. The z height stays at full up and can’t be lowered.

3. You have to recalibrate z offset/height every time you power cycle the printer or it will air print 4-6" above the print bed.

4. There’s no way to select a print head for use when starting a print using one extruder from USB stick or memory. Currently it will use the last print head loaded with filament, so selection involves waiting for the selected nozzle to heat up and pressing load, then stop, and then backing out to start your print.

5. There’s no back button in the “Dual Extruder API” developer/experimental settings menu. Once you are in, you can only power cycle the screen to get back out.

2 Likes