Discussion of Snapmaker 2.0 Firmware Updates

This thread is for dicussion of the Snapmaker 2.0 Firmware Updates.

4 Likes

Downloaded and tried it out. Looks good so far.
1 minor issue: The About dialog show versions:
TouchScreen 1.6.1.2
Controller 1.6.0

Shouldn’t the controller be 1.6.1?

Nice fix on the “unable to parse file” error.

2 Likes

I have been meaning to ask for a while. When you use the About screen on the SM2 controller it mentions that the Work Area is 345 x 360 x 334mm which is larger than the published work area.

Is this the true Work Area size?

Doug

Don’t forget to include the ability to change the printer name and the network WiFi SSID name. A number of users have mentioned this.

Doug

1 Like

We need to have the ability to perform an auto-calibration or manual calibration at a fixed bed temp set by user !

6 Likes

Yes.

This is only a quick fix mainly for manual calibration issue.

Guess we will need more tests on the effects of temp.

2 Likes

So when I printed something with my “almost perfect” leveling, I noticed that it seemed a little low. That would be explained by the difference I see with a heated bed. Doing some more tests tonight when I get home from work.

Blockquote So when I printed something with my “almost perfect” leveling, I noticed that it seemed a little low. That would be explained by the difference I see with a heated bed. Doing some more tests tonight when I get home from work.

I think there may be an issue with the temp as well. I sent a video of me being able to have my hand in constant contact with the bed when reported temps said 70C. I know they were looking into it.

1 Like

Manual leveling still doesn’t work properly. No clue why. When I measure the amount it is off with my Check Level Indicator.gcode file and make the appropriate changes, the level is good.
I also learned that a heated bed definitely changes the level.

@parachvte, Have you tried my Check Level.gcode file right after doing either a Manual or Auto level?

This indicates how much Manual leveling is off on my machine (in mm).

I__0__1__2
2 .45 .26 .13
1 .10 .11 .07
0 .15 .02 .15
J

2 Likes

The temperature Sensor of the heatbed is in the heat bed, so the print surface will be at lower temperature (that’s normal). I did some thermal imaging and the difference is at ~55°C about -5/-7°C and at >90°C at -10/-12°C.

Please add a temperature setting for the bed leveling process. This would be very important (on my SM1 I use Simplify3D to heat up the bed before leveling and it’s a game changer!).
I have this on my Ultimaker 3 and it is one of the best things about this printer.

Manual started leveling process should be at a to be defined temperature and for auto leveling in the print routine the leveling takes place when the bed finishes heating up and have a stabilized temperature.
I also suggest to heat up the nozzle to about 150°C to be able to remove residues from the tip.

4 Likes

100% agree with you !

1 Like

It would be nice to finally make the move open-sourcing all of this as was originally promised by the team in November. A lot of people in this community are making some great contributions and being able to raise PRs would no doubt help improve the execution of the many fixes that are being asked for.

2 Likes

I cannot find out how to update the firmware? is it posted somewhere here?

2 Likes
1 Like

The instructions are inside the downloaded firmware zip file as a text file see “How to upgrade the firmware.txt”

Ahh hahaha I hadn’t even opened it yet duh sorry!

2 Likes

yep, you get the dolts award for today

1 Like

I’d like to see “G26” enabled.

1 Like

I think they said that they would deliver the opensource when they got the Kickstarter pledges all delivered. That being said, I believe some have asked for the source (support@snapmaker.com) and have received it. But, what they received isn’t what is going to be released that is supposed to be well documented and perhaps the plug-in support and other goodies. So I am all for getting the source, but I’d like to get the one that is well documented and all ready for public release. Getting the not quite ready for release is useful for getting up to speed and familiar with what’s there and enabled. There is a TON of Marlin code that is not enabled by default. Of course the most interesting part to us is the part that is customized for the Snapmaker. The part that communicates with the Touch Screen.

The Touch Screen. That is a whole other project and set of code. I don’t think they will open the source for that.

1 Like