Camera preview and G-code always in top right quadrant instead of middle

When using the camera capture it places the image in the top right corner of the axis, never in the middle like in the example videos. The generated G-codes from this do work fine however, despite being placed in the top right corner so I’m not sure what’s going on. Is this a known issue or am I missing some calibration step?

This has been happening since I got my Snapmaker and downloaded Luban. Tested on both v3.5 and v3.6.1.

Supporting image attached -

Actually, the top right quadrant is the working area of the machine.

Hi Edwin;
I wonder if you could help me. I have generated g code in the online Easel software, which I like for its visual representation of the workpiece. When trying to import the g code, it places the workpiece in the top right quadrant. Is there any way for me to bring the workpiece to the centre of Luban so that SM1 works correctly? Thank you.

@jepho,
the top right quadrant is your build plate. so if your running the print from luban it should work right. if your not running the Gcode from luban then do not use luban. simply run the gcode you have directly from the printer and set the origin from the touchscreen (unless that is not an option on SM1?) that said, if you need to, you can move the origin in Luban, you would need to move the X & Y coordinates (using the window on the right side below the gcode import window) of the head to where you want the new origin to be (presumably to the center of the object) then hit the “set origin” button.
does that help?

The touchscreen has a set origin option. It can be set after the head is jogged. Right now the file I imported is a 37mm square and it wants to carve it way off to the top right of the bed. I specified the centre as the origin in the software (Carbide) and importing it into Luban shows it at the top right. Luban does not permit me to adjust any of the settings below the gcode import window. I guess the issue is Luban. I used Camotics to show me my file and it does not place the carved surface in the top right but in the centre where I specified the origin in Carbide create.

As an aside the Carbide Create software is ideal for new users to CNC work and the tutorial videos are all short and a model of clarity. I now know far more about Carbide Create in 30 minutes of use than I know about Luban after using it for months.

Hi @jepho

If you use the 3D generator, the top right quadrant is the working area.

If you use the Laser file generator, the file is in the center of the console.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.
Best regards

Helo Edwin; Thanks for getting back to me. I am not printing in 3D. I wish to use the CNC generator. When I bring the file in, it is put at the top right and I have no control over moving the file. If I could get the file to the centre the CNC head will not be offset. If there is a command that centres the file, I would be obliged to know of it. Alternatively, what do I need to adjust in my Carbide Create code to make it work in Snapmaker? Thank you for your kind assistance.

I am not sure the Carbide Create code you mentioned. Could you please send me the file so that we can reproduce this issue.

1 Like

Yes of course. Thank you. I will generate the code again and send it to you.

I have just found it on my desktop.

first carbide test.nc (1020 Bytes)

This file runs ok in Camotics and is not displaced by the quadrant issue. It was set up to have a central origin in Carbide Create. This is a 37mm square with a 1mm depth tool cutting a pocket

[for Edwin.nc|attachment]

(upload://jYd5ZB8NTTpY0MXrbs8wIUqziZB.nc) (334 Bytes)

@Edwin
I think the original question was about using camera preview for laser work. As you say the camera shows the machine work area in the top right hand quadrant of design space in Luban. The problem is that when the file is sent to the SM the machine assumes a work origin in the centre of the bed whereas the code has an origin of 0,0 in the design space i.e the front left of the bed. Its easy enough to jog the machine to the front lefthand corner of the bed and set a new work origin but its tedious to have to do it everytime and its also easy to forget to do it. If you don’t do it, everything is offset to the back right of the bed.

2 Likes

I have the the same issue. I set my material in the middle of the bed and start camera capture. Then the camera preview shows up in the upper right corner. Because my uploaded picture is in the center of the luban workspace, i have to drag the picture to the captured picture in the upper right corner. If i do then the “run boundary”, to check if my image suits the piece, it runs the boundary in the upper right position of the bed, so far away from my piece, instead of the middle of the bed and the origin of my piece i want to laser at. Is that understandable?
(It works, if i just hit play and dont check the boundary, but then i cant check if the boundary is fine - and mostly it is not fine because of any misalignment with the camera due to the height of the material i guess…)

@zwecke

When using camera capture feature, it is using the machine coordinate instead of workpiece coordinate. Camera capture should be considered as an automated way which using the machine coordinate which is being set by the endstops. So you don’t need to set it manually. By default is in left-bottom corner. You shouldn’t try to set origin by yourself. You should using Camera Captrue by using Luban to control SM2 directly. Please check below links out.

1. https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052352433-How-to-Use-the-Laser-via-Camera-Capture
  2. https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052352413-How-to-Use-the-Laser-via-Work-Origin

Hi,
ok. but what about I don’t like to keep Luban open and connected to the printer all time? When I’m just like to use the camera feature, align my cuts/engravings, generate code and transfer it to the machine (usb or wifi) ? At the machine, I choose the file and check with run boundaries. which are then totally off… will it still print correctly? Why not keeping ONE origin all time for all features ???

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. When I’m 3D printing I have no problem sending the file via WiFi and then running the job from the touchscreen - two advantages, don’t have to rely on a WiFi connection when running the job and once the file is sent to the SM running it multiple times from the touchscreen makes for a far more efficient way of carrying out repetitive work. Having to run a camera capture laser job over WiFi is an inconsistency in Luban. You might argue that if one is using the camera to aid placement of the work it is necessary to re-capture every time, not the case if a jig is being used.

i am a little confused :thinking: when i first got the machine and used camera capture (using laser) - i just dropped the image and moved it to someplace in the camera capture area.
after update of the firmware, the camera capture is in the top right, so i put my work piece on the camera capture area - but when i run boundary - it moved from the centre of the plate going top right? , i moved everything from the screen capture area to the centre (and it worked)… this is a pain, as i have to calculate the work area.

is there a way of moving the screen capture to the centre??

My workaround is to move the machine work origin to the front lefthand corner to align with the Luban origin.
The official response is to run the job from Luban and the origin will be right, I’ve not tried that myself as my WiFi connection is not stable enough.

1 Like

hi, thought i would give a follow up , the problem was not me but the software, found out by starting another thread.
@albutch hit the nail on the head (gave the right info) but being completely new to this - i didn’t quite understand what he was saying :smiley: totally my fault, as i thought it was another reason. big thankyou to albutch - he was able to cut through what i described to get to the actual problem.

apparently (haven’t tried it yet) using camera capture the origin gets lost when you “send to device via wifi” but if you run it via the computer it works, (rather defeats the purpose)
going forward, i will use albutch suggestion until they fix the problem

if interested like @Galduron 1 st post - to give your support to the updates he suggests (it must have taken a bit to put it together :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @ Edwin,

I assume the Laser File Generator and the CNC file generator as the same, correct?

Can you clarify with respect to the CNC File generator, whether I put the text dead center, top right, bottom left, the preview on the touch screen always displays the image in the top right quadrant and as a result, cuts of the image when cutting it out. Can you please advice how to fix, see attached screenshots for reference.

thank you,
Dan

hi @Edwin first of all, welcome to the forum - there are some excellent people here that are very knowledgeable (beginner myself and they helped me out tremendously)

this took me a while to work out, so it is excellent that i can pass on the info (what i now do).
i started with cnc so this confused the heck out of me.

camera capture is a brilliant idea but there is a problem with the firmware (the makers are aware), this caused me to stop using camera capture

i now put everything in the top right corner and manually mark the origin in the bottom left of the wood. the software is meant to put everything in the top right (because that is the work area) - hope this helps.

here is a hint i had to work out, tried to do a picture - unlike cnc the laser preview gives you exactly what you will get at the end of the job, an image in greyscale will be sometimes be black and white - but it is nothing to do with making the image lighter. i found best results with the density changed to 3 instead of 7 (if density is too close, it will make the image black), look at photo’s below