Ask Me About Rotary Module Here

You need to input length and diameter of the material in Snapmaker Luban. The G-code will simulate the model. By setting the work origin, the machine can find the material and work properly.

Edwin

1 Like

A summary of the questions on this page

In Japan, the most familiar place to buy materials is at home centers, but there are not many choices of materials.

Here is a list of actual prices in stores.
Eucalyptus wood or lauan wood

Black oak and oak wood are more expensive (2 to 3 times more expensive) than this list.

2 Likes

@Blockmodule

Work speed reference:

• Epoxy Tooling board: 300mm/s
  • Solid wood(Maple wood, Oak wood): 120mm/s|
1 Like

@Edwin What is the max rotational speed of the rotary module?

Thanks,

John

The maximum rotational speed of the Rotary Module is 45 degrees per second.

• Rated Current: 0.3 A
  • Rated Voltage: 24 V
  • Rated Power: 7.2 Watt

Edwin

2 Likes

Rotary Laser Showcase from Milton Santiago.

Facebook source

Got the rotary module + emergency stop button today. Hooked up the stop button right away as that always comes in useful and safe. Printer software version was 1.12 before starting it up, so latest version.

But it tells me now: ā€œOutdated module (Emergency Stop Button) firmware detected. Please visit our website, download the latest version, and update before useā€.

Does that mean I have to go back to the future? :smile:

Same for me today. ā€œoutdated moduleā€

Sounds like you need to update the module firmware, which sounds like you havenā€™t done. If you havenā€™t uploaded firmware with the module attached you need to - it doesnā€™t just update from the touchscreen like you would think it should. You have to manually start a firmware upload with each module attached in turn when you update to new firmware that changes module firmware.

Thatā€™s not what the manual says (that says you FIRST have to install the v1.12 firmware before connecting the new modules), but it works and that is what counts :slight_smile:

For who needs to do this as well, these are the steps:

download latest firmware (at the bottom of the page) to a USB flash drive
Insert the USB flash drive into your Snapmaker (in the controller, last plug at the bottom)
Turn on the machine
Swipe left on the Touchscreen > Tap Files > Tap USB > Tap the firmware file to update.

While it is loading the firmware update, it will show there are updates loaded for modules. And that is what you need!

Agreed, unfortunately. There was a post on the forum about it though that I remembered:

Iā€™ve been playing around with some STL models in Luban 3.14 to learn how it works, and I noticed that it will leave areas uncut if it cannot access them with a straight-on cut. Hereā€™s what Luban will do:

Hereā€™s what the model should look like.

How can we get it to eliminate that material between the outer edges of the model and the interior edges of the model. Most of the model would be accessible with a swarf type cut.

Do you have the slicing mode set to rotation or linkage?
Iā€™m guessing rotation. Try linkage and it should be able to reach much more if not all of that model.
-S

Ahā€¦that may be the problem. Iā€™ll try that. Thanks.

Ok, switching to Linkage did not fix the issue. It seems somewhat better, but only marginally. If anyone wants to try it, Iā€™m using the ā€œmando_fullā€ model from here (rotated and scaled down):

1 Like

When you simulate the model in Snapmaker Luban, the previewing module will not show the hollowed area, because emulation can consume a lot of computer memory, which can cause software crash.

If you observe the toolpath of the model, you can see that the area between the legs is hollowed out.

The model is the same as that one in the promotional advertisement when you select ā€œLinkage.ā€

In addition, as Yoda and the Mandalorian are separate, I think this work would be a failure to a large extend.

Cheers
Edwin

1 Like

Thanks, Edwin. I was using the model without Yoda, but I will look at the tool paths more carefully to see if it is hollowing out between the legs. Iā€™m looking forward to playing with the rotary module.

Where can we purchase more of the cylindrical tooling board material like the pieces that shipped with the 4th axis?

Cheers
Edwin