Strange Rotary Module behaviour

I just received my rotary module. I whipped up a test model in Fusion 360, imported the STL into Luban, generated the gcode and started the carving. All was looking good until just past 50% done when it went nuts. The rotary module stopped turning and the CNC module started hopping up and down, carving a groove along the longitudinal axis. Anybody have any ideas?

video of hopping

Cables all seem fine and I am able to manually control all 4 axis from the touchpad. Note: I did restart the controller in between the carving run and the cable/control test.

Worth a try. The failure happened something like 30 hours into the run so itā€™ll take some time to verify. :confused:

If it is a problem with the gcode then that sort of implies a bug in Luban. Iā€™ll post the results in a couple of days.

Exact same happened to me. I set up the carve in Luban and selected linkage to carve. So, I wouldnā€™t think itā€™s localized to your SM.

I used the ā€˜otherā€™ method besides linkage and it seems to work just fine with long cuts.

I used the ā€œRotationā€ slicing mode for my failed run.

1 Like

I dunno what the difference would be. My last run was 38 hours.

I see Iā€™m not alone in the boatā€¦
My rotary module is randomly skipping rotation steps. I could carve one model in Rotation mode, tried the same in Linkage mode and got many missed rotation steps at different slices by Y axis, making the whole model deformed into a spiral. I verified, this is not a g-code issue.
Definitely, there is some general issue, look at this post from another user: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159700519314225&set=gm.1034124227120540 , again, random rotation steps are missing here.
Opened a Service request, waiting for an answer. @Edwin , could you please take a look into: request no 82982.

Thanks, good to know.

Okay, so I restarted the machine and re-ran the project. To speed up the process I removed the bit and cranked the working speed up to 500% (which appears to max out at around 2.5x the normal work speed).

End result is that it crashed in just the same way. I have a request in with tech support.

The personal (aka free) version of Fusion 360 does not support 4-axis CAM. And the pay version is prohibitively expensive for a hobbyist.

True, but I could mill in free 3 axes Fusion360 from 6 different angular directions:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10222652783180757&set=gm.1265266507224993

That link is broken.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10222652783180757
It should work for members of Official Snapmaker Owners group (Facebook Groups)

I tried a different model and it worked without a hitch. So I think that supports your findings. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Totally different file this timeā€¦different settingsā€¦same issue. The rotary module works correctly, since I just completed a set of water bottles with the laser & rotary. Not a cable issue, not a ā€œturn off then back onā€ issue, not a length of piece issue (101.6 x 50.4), the axis modules are moving smoothly, etcā€¦ Must be Luban. This was an astronaut file from thingiverse that showed correctly in Luban.

Tech support are looking at my files and logs. Iā€™ll let you know what they have to say.

I am also having issues with the Rotary module.
Installation went very well and starting no problem. Did the laser burn test with the lines came out nice.
started the lion print and it came out to narrow.(see pictures)
I wanted to rotate the object to have a clean surface, and I could tap the B rotation button in luban and the module would not turn, but it does make a sound like it wants to move. Tapt it some more and every once in a while it would move.
Using the touchscreen instead of luban same story.
Switching power off/on did not help. Using the touchscreen without PC connected no help
I am wondering did I make a mistake??
Anyone else having this issue??
Do I have a faulty module??
Maybe someone can shed some light on the subject

Thank you. Hopefully thereā€™s a simple solution.

Looks like the calibration worked well. May be a similar issue where Luban. One other thought looking at your image, it may have lasered on correctly if the diameter of the tube was much smaller. Can you check the Luban setting for that piece and is the diameter correct? Smaller diameter in the software should tell it to rotate differently, thus the image appears compressed. Just a thought.