Ask Me About Rotary Module Here

As you may know that the rotary module is about to be released.

For users who do not know about the rotary module, you can read this article

Ask me about the rotary module here and the questions will be answered by our R&D team and Marketing team.

Specs for the rotary module:

General Rotary Module for A250 Rotary Module for A350
Weight 2.2 kg 2.4 kg
Dimensions 120 width × 284 depth × 108 height (mm) 120 width × 384 depth × 108 height (mm)
Material Length Range 10 - 70 mm 10 - 170 mm
Maximum Material Size 70 length × 68 radius (mm) 170 length × 68 radius (mm)
Inward-clamping Radius 1 - 30 mm
Outward-clamping Radius 10 - 50 mm
Frame Material Aluminum alloy
Rated Power 7.2 W
Supported Software Snapmaker Luban, Autodesk Fusion 360, Vectric Aspire
Supported File Types .svg, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .dxf, .stl
Supported Materials for CNC Wood, tooling and modelling board, plastic, bamboo, wax, more being tested
Supported Materials for Laser Wood, leather, plastic, fabric, paper, non-transparent acrylic, more being tested
Angle Precision 0.1 °
Maximum Angular Speed 45 °/s
Rotation Type 360 ° continuous
Rotational Speed Conversion 100:1

4 Likes

The selling price of the rotary module seems quite high.

Please clarify to what extent the Luban can be used to control new axes in CNC machining.

It seems that the rotary module comes with an emergency stop button, but I am angry that there is no indication that it will be sold separately.

The emergency stop button is a matter of accident avoidance and safety for many people.
In addition, we need to be able to return to work after an emergency stop and pause.

In my opinion, the existing issues (various issues raised on GitHub and forums) should be resolved first before selling.
I would also like to see a clear explanation of the manufacturer’s responsibility for this.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

5 Likes

:joy: You done ended that conversation in a hurry mate.

These are all good questions to be asking. I would like to give them a bit of a break for a bit on things though, they do seem to be trying.

So on the rotary module, i had seen one video stating that 3d printing will be possible with the module, yet most of the other literature does not say so, and focuses on laser and cnc only. Will it be possible to 3d print on the rotary module?

Will there be any sample projects to use as a starting point for designing our own ideas, or are we just kind of being thrown to the wolves on this thing?

Circling back to blockmodule’s questions a bit- it is clear that snapmaker has tried to really make this new module a good asset. what percentage of company engineering resources has gone into creating this rotary module as opposed to refining the existing product? do you anticipate using this much energy towards the next option to come out? will it be a dual extruder?

I am half-considering getting this module to be honest, but I feel like the parts I have are already obsolete with revisions based on failures and issues in the field, and while the team continually strives to improve things (and you have! no doubt about it) i worry that it would be safer to wait a year or two for it to get through field testing with your customers.

Its no secret that the snapmaker 2 experience from kickstarter to today has been rocky. Putting aside manufacutring delays from covid, has the team made any efforts on anticipating problems that have arose from the rest of the machine? That is to say, are you really confident this product is ready for us or is this another prototype that will need several generations of hardware refinement before it is perfect?

5 Likes

Since the staff is always looking at the forum, what needs to be done?
I thought I knew what the priorities should be.

I understand the reasoning that rotary modules are for the manufacturer’s sales and profit, but doesn’t that just add to the problems that arise with rotary modules?

1 Like

@Blockmodule
Thank you for your questions. I can answer some of your questions.

• Harmonic reducer is a relatively large share of the cost price of this module, which forced us to increase the pre-sale price of the product. The first batch of users who purchase this module will also receive a $50 discount. We will publish a document about the rotary module and its accessories.

• The emergency button can be purchased separately in our online store. And here are the products you can choose from the product page.

1 Like

We promised the Rotary module in our Kickstart campaign and now we are about to fulfil it.

3 Likes

3D printing feature is not supported on the rotary module. We made a demo in the experience but it is not recommended to do so.

For Snapmaker Luban, we have offered some featured projects, The version for Rotary module will be released in two weeks and the tutorial will be put on our official Youtube channel, which will show you how to complete a simple work with this add-on.

As for this question, it is hard to tell the exact percentage of the engineering resources. I have to say that we have invested a lot of resources into the rotary module. 4 outstanding engineers, 1 product manager and our supply chain have done their best. The dual-extruder module and the high-power laser module are being tested now. We have a plan to release them in 2021.

6 Likes

This is a good question and we need sometime to make a statement to answer it.

3 Likes

Now that I’m home, I’d like to add to the lack of words.

About the price of the rotary module
In my earlier post, this is my personal opinion.
A350 users may benefit from the large size that can be molded with the rotary module.
A250 users can only mold really small sizes, so as an A250 user in no small part, I felt that there was little merit to the price.
However, I am sure that there are people who want to learn the 4th axis, C-axis, or want to CNC mold even small items with the rotary C-axis, so there is no need to make a blanket statement.

I fully understand that the sale of rotary modules is written in the roadmap and is a promise to users.

However, there are many issues that prevent me from fully functioning with the Snapmaker 2.0 machine I have at hand.
Many people, including myself, have been posting and discussing the “same problems and questions over and over again” in the forums and on Facebook.
The requests for improvement have been proposed to Github.

Not a few people are thinking, "Please fix this problem sooner than the rotary module.
I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to express my opinion since there is a certain percentage of people who think so.
I think we need to think about what this should be a priority for us.

Unlike the products of many Chinese manufacturers, this is a “user-conscious company,” and from my point of view, I think it is a company that is doing its best, so I think it is important to focus on "current problems. Isn’t it important to focus on “current problems”?

@Edwin
Thank you for your reply to my question.
I think the price was determined by many issues such as cost.
I think the price is determined by many issues such as cost, etc. We should disclose a lot of information after expressing and having people understand this.

We don’t know the details of the rotary module yet.
There are many people who say Luban is a problem.
I do not think Luban is bad.
I don’t think Luban is bad, it’s just a software that is still in the process of being improved at a slow pace, and it seems wrong to compare it to something like Cura, which is a lot more time and feature intensive.

On top of that, is Snapmaker Luban “good enough” for CNC machining with the C-axis rotary module, which is not yet fully functional?
A lot of people are wondering.
Please disclose the information about it.

About the emergency stop button
Thank you very much for the information that it can be purchased separately.
On that basis, I would like to ask again.
After the emergency stop is pressed, when the emergency stop is released, can I select “return to original work” or “stop completely”?
At the very least, these two options need to be available on the touch screen.

I am a big fan of Snapmaker.
I’m a big fan of Snapmaker, and I know this may be an unpleasant question or opinion, but I’m writing this as a user’s opinion.

PS.
I’m using Japanese-to-English translation software, so I’m not sure how accurate the text is.
I’m sorry if there are any misinterpretations or rude content.

*** Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) ***

7 Likes

Thank you for you great feedback. The reason why I created this post is to collect the viewpoints and questions about the rotary module. Your suggestions are useful and your support is greatly appreciated.

I will try to answer your question in details and post it here later.

Japanese Version:

素晴らしいフィードバックをありがとうございます。この投稿を作成した理由は、ロータリーモジュールに関する視点や疑問点を集めるためです。あなたの提案は有用であり、あなたのサポートは非常に感謝されています。

私はあなたの質問に詳細に答えて、後でここに投稿するようにします。

3 Likes

Whenever you read this post, please write the questions about the rotary module if you have any.

Can you give some insights on the processing times? For some of the models in the article you linked (the car, the astronout etc). What is the processing time for these?

The video also seems to give the impression that these are cut with more than one tool (clearing/roughing pass) and then a final cleaning pass. Does/Will Luban support this out of the box or is that done with other software?

1 Like

Nice to see the rotary module previewed and available for pre-order. I’ve placed my order!

That being said, it would be nice to see some focus on Luban (such as the laser camera origin issue - it’s totally borked), as well as other hardware improvements (I am especially interested in the higher powered laser).

it would be really nice for Snapmaker to republish the trello roadmap. Transparency is a good thing!

Trello map is back now actually.

Regarding the price of the module, is there a plan to increase the price or will it stay the same? I am interested but need to become more familiar with 3-axis before I invest that much into a fourth axis.