Filament reload... Wait, it's not out of filament

Did you encounter this “filament runout” issue? How about the frequency?
Next time the warning of “filament runout”. You need to connect the machine with the PC and then launch Snapmaker Luban. Enter command “M119” in the console and operate it.

At the final line of the text, you can see “filament: TRIGGERED”, which means the filament is in and switch works fine.
M119
SENDING:M119
Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
x_max: open
y_min: open
y_max: open
z_min: open
z_max: open
z_probe: open
filament: TRIGGERED

Please forward this result to us

I have experienced it with every firmware Version since I got my machine in January. After reading this forum I found that using the 412 S0 command fixes my issue. I did use M119 and the filament was “Triggered” when I started the print and now checking M119 it is now “Open” but the print is still running because I disabled the sensor. Therefore a fix is needed for the sensor or a replacement module. I also was just sent an email from Tracy with Support. Thank you again.

Edit: I needed to add that I am running the latest firmware.

Thank you for your reply.

Please use command “M412 S1” to turn on the filament sensor. You need to check the status of the filament sensor twice.

• First, when you start a printing process.
  • Second, when the warning “Filament runout” shows up.

At the final line of the text, you can see “filament: TRIGGERED”, which means the filament is in and switch works fine.
M119
Reporting endstop status

I will do this experiment and show / give feedback hopefully today. Depend on my day job’s tasks :slight_smile:

This will require me to turn the sensor back on to cause the error to trigger.

It definitely looks either mechanical with the sensor not quite setup properly, electrical with potential of pinched wires or firmware related.

Thank you

Here is the experiment. Didn’t even get the skirt down the first time and then didn’t get 30 seconds in the second time. I have since turned the sensor off and have been printing for 3 hours now without issue. Just before posting this I checked it again and it said “Triggered” waited about 1 minute to check one more time and it said “Open”. Kind of sounds like either loose wiring or loose screws. I have not and don’t plan to open up the module unless instructed to by support. Thank you.

Filament Runout Video

We think of two possible causes:

• The filament switch is defective.
  • The voltage of the switch in a critical state causes its failure

We have designed two tests and will do them tomorrow. I will keep you updated.

1 Like

Please connect the machine with the PC via the provided USB cable and then start a print from Snapmaker Luban.

And print a model via USB disk.

When the printing process is on, you can shake the filament manually to imitate the movement state of the filament. You need to check if the warning of “Filament runout” will turn up.

If the issue occurs, please check the working status of filament switch by entering M119.

M119
Reporting endstop status

@AU_Mech @DroneOn @andyryan1988

Please do as the video to tighten the filament switch.

FILAMENT SWITCH FIX

I will complete this task after my 36hr print is complete. I will let you know what I find. Thank you.

When the filament error occurs and i do the M119 i get the result “open” in all answers.

(including FILAMENT: OPEN)

Yes. That means the sensor has tripped and not recognizing that filament is loaded in the tool head.

1 Like

I have sucessfully followed the instructions above and got rid of the filament reload issue, at least I made a full 10 hour print without problem yesterday and now this morning I have printed another model without issues for a full hour. I have high hopes this will stay stabile. Thanks a lot!

If you make a video describing how to fix this, dont forget to mention how to losen the fan that covers the parts you are supposed to fix the screws on. It took a while before I was ablet find the area.

I have a new problem though Im not sure its related. The pause/continue-function does not work any more. Neither if i pause the project and turn off/on, or if i turn off the power and hope for it to auto-continue.
Is it something with the code we have been using above that overrides this?

Video for disassembling the sideboard and the fan:

1 Like

Which version of firmware you are using now? Does this issue happen repeatedly?

Firmware: 1.7.0.0.20200321
Happened the last three times i have tried.

I´m now updating to the latest firmware to see if the problem still applies.
(BTW, the link on the download page leads to the old firmware, not the latest, so I have probably used an old firmware for 2 weeks without beeng aware).

Update: I have now updated the firmware and the pause and continue triggers again!

1 Like

Glad to know that. I am not sure what is the cause of the dysfunction. Given that you can use the function in the new firmware, we are not going to test it in firmware 1.7.0.0, which may be something pointless.

2 Likes

Solution:

1. CONTACT SUPPORT BEFORE YOU PROCEED. THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
  2. Remove fan:
  1. Repair filament switch:
  1. Profit?
3 Likes

I will contact the users in this thread, sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like