Filament reload... Wait, it's not out of filament

Ran a 40+ hour print. It got to 98 percent, and then I started getting messages filament needs to reload. Well, it’s not out of filament. I cut the filament and reloaded it, and the message keeps happening even though I get flow during the reload process. Eventually the nozzle just face planted into my 40+ hr print at 98%. Pretty aggravating.

1 Like

This happened again.

Not the faceplant, but the “out of filament” message when it wasn’t out of filament.

Edit: I take it back. It had this filament reload error over and over again like 5 times, then face planted into the print. A power reset fixed it again…

Edit::sob::thinking::sob: more filament reloads errors. I just can’t. Is it possible there is something where the 5mm retraction is causing filament to appear runout somehow? Over 0.5kg filament wasted by these errors so far.

Hi, here is Liu from Snapmaker Team.

• When the touchscreen tells you “out of filament”, you can click “cancel” or “ready to load”. Please make sure that the end of filament is in the inlet.
  • If the issue occurs again, please do as follows to troubleshoot.
  • Download the software Pronterface: https://www.pronterface.com/
  • Connect the machine with the PC via the provided USB cable and open the software Pronterface.
  • Enter the command “M119” to check the status of the filament sensor.
  • Enter the command “M412 S0” to turn off the filament sensor and click “ready to load”, and try to resume the print.
  • You can push the filament into the inlet with your hand so that the gear can pull it.
2 Likes

Well… I will do ask you ask. Now, it won’t even start a print. I get this message after the fast cal.

I get the following:
No filemant!
failed to start work: err= 202

m119
SENDING:M119
Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
x_max: open
y_min: open
y_max: open
z_min: open
z_max: open
z_probe: open
filament: open
will clear except: host: 7, type: 2
runout fault is cleared!
SC req START WORK
No filemant!
failed to start work: err= 202

with no break anymore. this will run on endless loop as I click “load”, it loads, and then throws the error again.
As per your instructions, if I run that command the print works just fine:

M412 S0
SENDING:M412 S0
will clear except: host: 7, type: 2
runout fault is cleared!
SC req START WORK
trigger WORK: ok
SC req change env
new hotend temp: 198.00
SC req change env
new bed temp: 40.00
echo:busy: processing
echo:busy

Um… defective module? Where do we go from here…?

This makes me very sad. I 3d print ALOT and was really looking forward to this function. I regularly run 40+hr prints and running out of filament is something that has been a problem in the past.

Thank you for your prompt reply.
If the sensor detects the filament, the main controller will reply as triggered, but that was open in the text. As you can see below.

Reporting endstop status

After the print is completed, you need to enter the command “M412 S1” to enable the filament sensor and “M119” to check the status of the sensor again.
Send me the log info in the console as well.

Printer is now online.

Without filament

M119
Reporting endstop status

With filament

M119
Reporting endstop status
filament: TRIGGERED

This happened again to my wife - filament error at the beginning of the print. She turned the machine off. When I got home it worked for me…

Here’s where I’m currently at - I print several things a week. Many 20—45 hours long. This error crops up now and again, and consistently happens at the beginning of the print. As in it quick calibrates then throws the error instead of starting the print. If I just do the “load” after it warms up, it works. This has been the case since our last communication, and was what happened to my wife. This is still a problem, and it being intermittent just makes it more troubling for me, as an old debug technician.

Spoke too soon. It is once again exhibiting these issues. Why does it think there is no filament, when clearly there is filament?

Here is the status:

M119
Reporting endstop status
filament: TRIGGERED

The printer head has literally stopped ON THE PRINT.

Im getting the same error, now I don’t know about the code. But even a small print forces me to “load filament“ when it’s in, then wasting more. Now I’m not losing as much as you with my 1.5 hour print, but this is odd.

Hey guys, i follow this thread.
Unfortunately my 2.0 didn´t arrive yet.

Is it possible that the filament sensor is loose or slightly false or missadjusted in the printhead?

I don´t know how it is with can bus, but i could imagine that there could be flags because of bounces/vibrations from the sensor (because of wiring, shielding of the cable,…)

@parachvte @JKC20 Is it possible to debounce the sensor in firmware? Like, wait till it is 2sec. continous there.

Good question. I am leery to dismantle the module, since it would void my warranty. It sure would be nice to get this resolved though.

I’m going to be updating my firmware today. (why I logged on), and I saw filament issue with power off was something that they resolved. Hopefully it will help me.

Updating firmware and using latest luban software had no effect. I have already experienced the errors again.

Oops, that is not what I want to see. And that you mentioned that your wife met it but the machine worked for you later.
@xchrisd is right that the filament sensor in the module might be loose or mis-positioned. I will have a test tomorrow and reply here when the thing get done.

Still getting this error. Alot. I am also now getti gnthis error message

I spent an hour today fighting the filament reload problem again. Powered off system, trashed another print. I’m getting quite annoyed with this. Is there any solution other than turning off the filament sensor?

1 Like

push @parachvte @Rainie @JKC20 @Edwin

So, I have my computer hooked up to it again. I ran M119, and I got filament OPEN several times, even after running “LOAD” and watching filament come out.

I can hit load all day, and sometime it will change to TRIGGERED, but then afger printing even a little while. Like, less than a minute, it changes to open again.

Things I’ve noticed:

• If I re feed the filament. As in take it all the way out then back in, sometimes it works.

• If I feather the insertion, someitmes it works again.

• If I put the filament in front (towards the user) of the cable going to the module, it seems to work better.

From this I assume the flament sensor must be towards the back of the module, and is either some kind of switch, or sensor, and is not activating in all circumstances for me. It is SO CLOSE that the angle of entry of the filament is causing this error.

Can I please get a replacement on this module? Something is clearly wrong here.

On a different note, I’d like to point out that your power recovery usually either sets Z low, or is off in the XY when it resumes, but that’s beyond the point of this thred.

1 Like

Sorry that we are out of the office these days.
You can turn the filament sensor off if you want to print now.

• M412 S1 Enable filament runout detection

• M412 S0 Disable filament runout detection

• M412 Report the current filament runout detection state

2 Likes