Extruder Calibration a must

I thought a summary of everything you guys listed in the previous messages would be helpful for us newbies getting started. I struggled with some basic things, so I thought I would share a detailed set of steps to help us get through the extruder calibration.

1. On the touchscreen, swipe and tap Controls, preheat the nozzle to 200C and load the filament
  2. While the nozzle is heating, connect a computer via the USB cable and connect with Luban (as of 7/31/2020 trying to send commands via WiFi doesn’t work, I wasted a lot of time finding this out)
  3. In the terminal inside of Luban, type in M83 to enable Relative Mode
  4. With some calipers or a ruler, measure 100mm of filament from the top of your extruder and cut it or mark with tape (I cut it since it’s so easy to load/unload filament with the SM2)
  5. In the terminal, enter G1 E100 F300
  6. After the command finishes (extruder stops moving), measure the remaining filament you have left in millimeters. We will call this measurement “R”
  7. In the terminal, enter M503. In the response you get back, look for the text M92 and find the E value. We will call this value “E”
  8. Calculate “S” with the following equation, S = E * 100/(100-R). As an example, if you measured R = 11mm, and found E = 212.21, then S = 212.21 * 100/(100-11) = 238.44
  9. Update your “S” value or the new steps/mm value to the SM2 by sending the following command in the terminal, M92 E###.##. For the example above, it would be M92 E238.44
  10. To save this value permanently send the M500 command
  11. You can verify everything is updated by resending M503 and look for the E value in the M92 line.

This info is basically from chazr33gtr and rojaljelly. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with us!

57 Likes