Unusual behavior with Dual Extrusion Module

Can anyone explain why the filament extruded from the module looks like this when I am loading new filament?

I’ve tried switching to a new hot end but that didn’t help. Prints are garbage with filament extruding only part of the time. Also, I keep getting out-of-filament errors on the right extruder. I have checked and cleaned the gears that grip the filament.

I’ve also heard some “pops” and “cracks” coming out of the left extruder. I know it most likely needs service, I’ve already made a warranty request.

But if anyone has any ideas I would love the hear them. Especially since inconsistent extrusion seems to affect both L and R extruders.

Switched back to the single extruder BTW and everything works fine, not a filament issue.

Thanks
Tim

Pops and cracks usually indicate moisture.

Maybe you don’t have the temp right?

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’ve tried everything between 180 and 220. Nothing seems to make much difference.

Also, the pops and cracks sound more mechanical in nature.

Is your direct dir I’ve clean? Sounds like shitty filament.

need the snapmaker wedge.

The extruder when it skips sounds like a pop.

oh thats what the wedge is?

Okay.

Mine is not fitting, so im guessing i dont need it.

however, it seems to have a bit of sloppy extrusion when it does actually print, so maybe i should find something else to jam in there haphazardly

splutters are ususally from moisture in the filaments, at least thats the previous experience ive had but this thing is really not working right so it could be relating to that.

The wedge doesn’t even fit.

if it doesn’t fit then your extruder isn’t latched correctly.
It is a tight fit it is supposed to be tight.

make sure the top “u” is fully seated on / in the cross bar.

Mine is loose in the groove. How hard did you have to push it in?

mine is closed for sure, and its to large to fit inside. How thick is it supposed to be? maybe it over extruded

Im afraid to try to put too much force on it. Even opening the latch can shift the nozzle and throw off the calibration despite the firm position it is in with the springs. I had to recalibrate when i opened it on trying to un-screw the TPU from the gears.

Infact, one time I was fiddling around and the hotend lost continuity to its contacts in the module and the extruder temperature readout shot up to 500 something, threw an error about a problem with the hotend, and even rebooting wasnt enough, it required re-seating

with that said, if I shove this thing in there, i am really afraid it will get jammed in and that i wont be able to open the gear latch.

try flipping the block upside down, there dose seam to be a direction to it.

1 Like

this is working for allot of the people that had early issues. here is a post with photos.

i think this is directly from snapmaker on the issue. They developed the blocks that are referenced ealier.

I do have those printed, they do not fit. They are too small. So I am unsure how hard i should be trying to do it. Do you know an approximate thickess it should be?

I will give it another shot tomorrow after the spool holder spring i am printing finishes

While i am at it… I see the path in which the flexible filament comes out of the block. I believe I will try to design a similar TPU clip to the single extruder.

Sorry when I said they are too small. i was referring to the gaps. the pieces are too thick

1 Like

Ill measure mine here in a second.

2.7mm heigh and if i install it upside down it will stay loose.

I would though recommend getting it dialed in with pla before attempting tpu but thats just my 2 cents.

try it with out filament and make sure the dual drive gears are meshed correctly

If it then fits then add back in the filament etc

I tried it and they ALMOST work. The right one works fine actually. The left one still skips and doesn’t load. I can push on it and get it to load but with just the wedge it doesn’t work.

I printed four and tried them all in various directions.

I have been using this, works really well