Rotary Module Issue

Hey all,

I have had the rotary module for about 8 months now and have been using it to mill chess pieces out of maple and walnut dowels. After many, many weeks and failures, I got to the last few peices. And now it is giving me problems.

The issue is it seems to forget to rotate the stock material about 3/4 of the way through, but the spindle keeps going and carves a slot all the way down. It looks like the material is just slipping in the jaws, but it is very secure. And when it is finished and I go to the “control” page on the controller and try jogging the B axis it can only spin counterclockwise. It’s almost as if it has bottomed out. If I hit the “spin clockwise” button nothing happens, but it thinks it spun as normal.

For example, right after a failed attempt if I jog the rotary module counterclockwise twice (it won’t move) it then requires you to go clockwise twice before it will actually go clockwise. Homing works like normal. This has happened twice now.

Here’s what it looks like after it has “finished”:

Am I going crazy? Should I contact SM about this and request a replacement or try to fix it myself? Anybody else have similar issues?

Hi John,

I’m having similar issues with the laser and the rotary module, every so often as I’m laser engraving the rotary just stops moving and then the image is offset and occurs to both the left and the right. Were you able to figure this out?

Not really, the issue kind of just went away. TBH I haven’t really used the rotary module for CNC much since the issue, but it works well with laser. Have you made sure all your software is up-to-date?