Printing with TPU

When will the Snapmaker Team offer support for printing with TPU flexible filament.?
I was told by SM support that the add on part for the print head only worked on SM1 and that they would look into the issues with SM2.
I read many post giving working settings for TPU but I am very worried about having to clean up ooze in the print head and/or cause damage.
Also any timeline on Luban firmware update.
Thanks

1 Like

According to them it already does.
It’s just a matter of printing settings.
In reality you probably need the adapter.
There is no possibility of ‘ooze in the print head’. Well, at least not anymore than with any other filament or what already happens when a nozzle isn’t tight enough or doesn’t make a good enough seal to the heat block. The way it feeds means it would have to back up through the heat block tube and the likelihood of that happening is extremely small. The filament would cool and block the flow before that would happen.
The main problem is that the soft tpu bunches up before it can exert pressure to extrude.

This is the thread you need to follow:

-S

Regarding that specifically, what are you referring to? The ability for Luban to update the machine firmware? At least for the main controller we can do that now.

The above thread linked has a little piece to install in the print head to help keep the filament from getting out of position

I was hoping for an update on supports to make them lighter and less bulky. I see some projects that would use as much filament on the support than on the item printed.
Hopefully more specific preset for TPU and other type of filaments.

I was told by SM support that the adaptor will not fit the SM2 only the SM1 print head.
I don’t want to damage anything so I wonder if people who used that adaptor are using it in the SM2 model successfully and is the a picture or video to demonstrate the installation?

The print heads are completely different.
There are two different adapters. One for each.
As I understand it with the SM1 you actually have to do some modifications.
With the SM2 adapter it just fits in when you open the door and easily pops out when you don’t need it.
One note, on mine I have to install it with print head lying on it’s back.
It is not an officially supported mod. They don’t think there’s a problem.
So if you can’t print tpu you have to decide whether you want to risk voiding your warranty.
As far as supports goes, use cura. Lots of settings for that.
-S

Thank you so much for your reply and your info. I have to check out Cura. Do you happen to have a link to the SM2 adaptor. I have one but there’s no indication of which one it is for.
Cheers,

Heres a couple of variants on it… theres another one someplace in the thread too.

There are several options in the thread I first posted.
This one has support designed in
https://forum.snapmaker.com/uploads/short-url/4EGtAoJdG6M3DHZ7hYYSORp3dFY.stl
-S

How do you install this adapter?

Open the door and put it in.
I find it easier to do with toolhead unmounted and on it’s back. Otherwise it tries to fall out.

-S

Here is something that I posted in another thread. I think this is better, and it allows you to adjust the tension to match the filament that you are using: