Power Module / 3D Printer Module /Linear Module

I wouldn’t be too concerned about that.
There’s no way they could tell that you disassembled it. And they don’t seem to be asking to return defective parts.
The only way they’d ever know is if they were on this forum and read this post and we know the chances of that happening are pretty slim. :wink:

Is there a warranty length on the new rails?
-S

1 year.

Also it does seem that the new lead screw is a slightly thicker diameter, but that may just be an illusion.

I didn’t have much time, so I built the machine with marked linear rails.

I should have taken a comparison video…

In 3D printer mode, configured with the new linear module, with Cura…

ABS output at 80mm/s print speed and 100mm/s travel speed.

The power module is not bothered by the fan noise.
The latest linear module has no high-pitched melody sound, and runs very quiet and smooth.

The new 3D printer module is not recognized by the machine, it is broken and I have contacted support, but so far they are unresponsive.

The Snapmaker staff seems to be watching this forum.
They are looking, but they are only looking and there is almost no action.

Since I deliberately disassembled the linear module, it is inevitable that the 1-year warranty is unconditionally lost according to Snapmaker’s regulations.

I would like to submit a fix request to GitHub with the following information.

If you build a machine with a new linear module (Read8mm/20mm, stamped on the side) in a combination other than the one shown below, nothing will appear on the controller display screen. If you build your machine with the new linear module (Read8mm/20mm, stamped on the side) in any other combination than the one below, nothing will show up on the controller display screen, and the axis will move on one side during homing, possibly damaging the two rails.

Correct configuration
X-axis: 1 x 20mm
Y-axis: 2 x 20mm
Z-axis: 2 x 8mm

Wrong configuration will cause problems.
X-axis: 1 x 20 mm
Y-axis: 1 x 20 mm 1 x 8 mm
Z-axis: 1 x 20 mm 1 x 8 mm

As a countermeasure, if the wrong combination is made, an error should be displayed at the initial homing point and any operation in jog mode for each axis should not be accepted.

This problem occurs when replacing new models and linear modules.

Snapmaker should include the correct axis configuration in the product package and interlock it in the machine controller firmware.

It should be recognized that this is a serious matter by Snapmaker for safety and machine integrity.

1 Like

When the Z-axis is configured with the old version of the linear module, it is instructed to update the firmware (as shown in the picture above, it asks you to update the firmware of the linear module), so I can guess that the new and old 8mm can be used as long as the firmware of the controller is up to date.

Hi @Blockmodule,
thanks so much for sharing the innards of the modules! One thing I cannot see from the pictures clearly: The nuts that ride along the lead screw have been made of plastic in the old modules (see e.g. here: Excessive play in x-axis linear module bracket - #9 by sdj544). Are they still plastic? Or did they finally go for metal nuts?
Cheers
Hauke

I don’t have any pictures because I’ve already assembled the machine, but from the looks of it, I thought it was some kind of plastic or resin-based material, but maybe not.

I’m sorry for being so vague.

Has anyone verified this?

1 Like

Make sure you upgrade to the latest firmware if your 3D print module isn’t being recognized, that may be why.

I too purchased the upgrade at the 50% discount, but have not yet received the upgraded power module. The OP seems to have gotten all of the components. Anyone else not yet received the power module?

I installed the new linear modules and the new print head and did not encounter any problems after. The linear modules are much quieter.

I had hoped that my lithophane prints would improve, but I still get the same problem with horizontal lines in the lithophane.

If you read the new assembly instructions (I used the link on the brief guide) and the instructions are quite clear as to which modules go with which axes, so I don’t understand those complaints.

EDIT: Ignore this post - the Facebook entry is rather old… I do not delete the post since it already has been answered.

I’ve in the meantime found someone on Facebook who looked at the nuts, and they are still more or less the same:

Pity…

I had a faint memory, but it was still plastic…

I think many people were hoping for an improvement in the warping and collapse of the bearings.

The result was disappointing!

My 20mm linear module started to repeat the layer shift without any repeatability.

I’m tired.

OK, I was wrong btw - the Facebook post is rather old and just reappeared due to a comment added - these are not the new rails. Will edi my post - sorry for confusion…

It was reported that this problem has been fixed in the latest Snapmaker2_V1.14.1 firmware.

Dec 13 2021: Snapmaker2_V1.14.1

1 Like

I bought the new linear modules at 50% and mounted them without noticing that they were different.
The display failed to notify me of the error, it just does not move any motors.
The enclosed “Brief Guide” does not mention that the modules are different and also not the linked “Quick Start Guide”.

Following some guide to enter “M2000 S0” in the Luba console gave the error “0x00000002 NO ANY LINEAR MODULE DETECTED”. Thats’s all. Why didn’t the Android thingy tell me that?

I will resassembly the machine and hopefully it will work afterwards.

So far am I very disappointed by the lack of information given on how to mount these new linear modules. No PSU received yet.

@nudelmannen the following cardboard sheet is the “Brief Guide” that you refer to:

If you follow the directions pertaining to https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-us, the Quick Start Guide does explicitly call this out in steps 2, 9, and 13. The store page also shows that there are 2 different linear module types, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Best of luck!

Hello again!

I have now replaced the modules in their correct positions and that solved my problems.

One part of the problem is in step 2 of the brief guide

1. it is not clearly stated that there is two kinds of modules
  2. the path for the quick start guide is not complete
  3. the reference is only made to ’the Quick Start Guide’ that means that I expected to find a guide specifically for the upgrade of linear modules

However, the situation could be easily avoided in the future by a small update of the Brief Guide

1. Make a clear statement that the package contains two kinds of modules
  2. Make a better reference to witch guide to use with a more complete path

The Laser engravings on the modules is nice but hard to read
Mark the modules with removable stickers eg. ’Only for use on X & Y Axis’ & ’Only for use on Z-Axis

Create and include a ’Upgrade Guide’ with references to the original ’Quick Start Guide’ (this should replace the Brief Guide)

Best Regards
/Jörgen