Linear module stopped working after third print

@vwgo Additionally, could you exclude that your axis compare-box is defective? There were a hand of people who had problems with it.

I swapped the 2n1 boxes from Y to Z and Z to Y and they always worked. Just 2 of the axis motors are bad. Anytime a bad motor was plugged in to the controller the tool won’t read on the screen once removed and rebooted it would see the tool and home correctly. Have they figured out why these axis motors are dying?? Is there a fix that can be done in the field??

Depends on why yours are nor working, from the sounds of it the mcu in the module is malfunctioning in some way and causing errors in the main controller… since they have not released the fw for those I don’t think that a fix is possible at this time. But if your willing to give it up in the name of science (after sm sends a replacement of course) I would pay shipping to have you send it to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess my luck ran out, it is time for my to join the queue for a replacement rail.

Finished a long print last night (went well), but now the machine will not home the Y. Left rail is nice and easy to move, right rail is binding tight and requires much more force to get moving. Once its moving it is easy to continue to move it.

The left rail homes properly, but swapping the right rail into the same port in the splitter and… nada. No noise, no vibration, no movement. Rail is dead. Warranty claim now.

Support have confirmed the rail is dead, have arranged a replacement. Hopefully it won’t be 3 weeks!

2 Likes

Module arrived today. According to TNT it was shipped the same day I emailed to ask for shipping details. Hmm.

Either way, new module installed, its travel speed matches the existing Y rail, and the machine is much much more quiet than it was when it was last working.

2 Likes

I have also joined the line of people with this issue. Printing along fine, and then the X axis died. I didn’t see anyone with the X failing first in this thread.

My X didnt die, but it got super loose.

Support is responding at an increased pace for what its worth.

I am also joining the group. Have made several great prints and some cnc-ed and laser engraved projects and all have worked out nicely, until now. Just contacted support, hope they send a new module soon.

Adding myself to the list, 1 Z rail failed, still waiting on a response from support.

I finished up a 58-hour printer and the next day, attempted to start a new job when the right Z-module was not synched. I restarted SM and the same thing happened. We’ll see what support has to say.
I may follow Lacitis’ process to see if that set the two modules back in sych.

There’s nothing magic about the two rails being on sync. The adaptor sends the same signal to both rails.

If that’s not happening, then either the fault can be in the rail, or in the signal path between the incoming single cable and the faulty rail.

Check the connection into the adaptor and check the linear rail wire for breaks.

Swap the two rail wires around.

Make sure that the machine is switched off when you do any of this. Plenty of reports of things letting out the magic smoke because they didn’t switch it off.

Also, check that all the pins in the cable are sticking out.

Sometimes support will ask people to test each rail to find pairs that move at the same speed.

Thank you, I will check out the cables as was suggested, then report back.

-Kevin
MapleNut Woodworking

Finally got my new module in the mail today. Here is my timeline
12/26/20 - Emailed Support
12/29/20 - Sent photos of non-working module as requested and confirmed shipping address
1/6/21 - Followed up asking about shipment, hadn’t received anything including tracking number, was told it would ship in 5-7 days
1/16/21 - Received email with tracking number and conformation that it shipped
1/22/21 - Received module in mail

Yeah… sounds about right.

Glad you got your part now, cuz chinese new year is about to hit and nobodys gonna get much of anything unless they get some inventory in the states

Yeah, they did tell me that due to New Year’s Day, the replacement will delay 2-3 days. The package says it was shipped from Chino, CA.

nice, i just received one myself today actually