Just got your Snapmaker? Here are some tips and problems you may encounter

So this is from one 3D printing noob to another, but I hope it helps :slight_smile:

A list of things to check before your first print:

• Read the manual. Make sure you know the printer and have set everything up correctly.
  • Make sure all screws are moderately tightly in place. This helps with print accuracy and CNC accuracy.
  • Make sure the build plate screws are screwed in tightly too. Not too tightly though, as you may want to remove the build plate to change to CNC milling or Laser Engraving.

Useful things to own:

• A Calipher
  • A small knife to clean up prints (remove brims and such)
  • A torch (flashlight)
  • 90+% Rubbing alcohol (to clean the print bed)
  • A few microfibre cloths (to clean the print bed)
  • A heavy duty sponge or two (to clean the nozzle)
  • A box with silica gel packs in it to store filament spools.
  • A plethora of sandpaper (to finish prints)

I’ll give a rundown of some FAQs.

Are the lights meant to flicker?
Yes. That means the machine is operational.

The fan is constantly on. Is this normal?
Yes. The fan is constantly running on the Snapmaker.

Can the fan be turned off?
No.

My print is coming loose on the bed!
Try recalibrating your printer. Make sure the nozzle is clean

My first layer won’t stick!
Try recalibrating the nozzle. If that doesn’t work, try reducing the print speed. If that also fails, and you are using a hygroscopic material (absorbs moisture from the air, such as PLA or PETG), try baking it in an oven at 50-70 degrees CELCIUS for an hour or two. This should allow the moisture to escape the material for better print quality.

If you are using ABS, try using some painters tape and a glue stick. If that fails, you can mix Acetone with some failed ABS prints to create an ABS liquid. This liquid can be spread onto the Painters tape to create a stronger bond between the filament and the print bed. BE SURE TO WORK IN A WELL VENTILATED ROOM IF USING ACETONE.

Will it catch fire?
No? (personally, have printed for days on end without it catching on fire.)

How do I update the firmware?
Simply download the firmware file onto a USB stick and then plug it into the Snapmaker. On startup, it will update the firmware.

What should I print?
In my opinion, your FIRST PRINT should always be a Calibration Cube to ensure the printer is printing accurately. Otherwise, take your pic! @doug shared a very nice URL with some cool prints.

How much infill should I print with?
I’d recommend no more than 25% as more is just wasting plastic. If printing models, set the slicer to print the entire print as a top layer. Basically set the top layer height to the entire model. It then prints with 100% infill but it makes each layer look nicer. Not entirely sure how it is different from 100% infill, but it just is.

What slicer should I use?
In the beginning, if you have no 3D printing experience, I would recommend the Snapmaker3D software as it is easy to use.

However, if you are looking to do more advanced stuff with your printer, I’d recommend Cura or Slic3r.

I hope that helps answer any questions that you may have had :slight_smile: I’ll continuously update this thread with more questions. If you know a question that people may ask, feel free to comment below with the question and an answer :smiley:

There’s also an amazing list of useful links (Snaplinks) created by @Tone which will most likely save you 99.99% of the time if you encounter an issue.

Thanks for reading,
Greg

9 Likes