Grinding noise on new machine when homing or calibrating

I just assembled my new machine yesterday and everything was going smoothly. I started with the 3D printing bed and module. I went through the Auto Leveling procedure and it went well. When I went to start my first print, it said it was unable to start the job. I thought maybe I needed to do the auto leveling procedure again and while it was running through it, the y axis modules shot forward fairly fast (not sure if it was normal speed or not) and when reaching the front of the machine, they stopped and made a continuous loud grinding noise until I powered down the machine.

I ensured nothing was in the way, all cables were plugged in properly, and even swapped out on the of Y modules with the X module, which closer matched to the other Y module. This was done after reading about Y axis issues.

A side not that may or may not be related: I am unable to manually control any of the axis via the touch screen on the machine or Luban (it is connected to the device via Wifi)

I don’t know what else to try at this point so any help would be appreciated!

You could verify the endstops are functional using M119 over USB if you want, but this is clearly a hardware issue and you’ll have to involve support eventually.

Since you just got it, I assume it’s a T model, double check you have your modules in the correct spot. As I recall, not all the modules are the same anymore, they should have a lead printed on the side of them. 20mm for the X/Y (bed/toolhead) and 8mm for the Z (vertical gantry).

If the modules are in the wrong locations the machine is supposed to error out on startup and prevent any motion.

That would be new news if that turns out to be the case.

I did confirm the modules are in the right locations. I wish the fix was as easy as swapping modules…

Ill try out the M119 code and see where that takes me, thanks!

I’m also noticing that even after updating to the latest firmware, the machine gives me this promt upon startup:
“Outdated module (Linear Module) firmware detected. Please visit out website, download the latest version, and update before use.”
I’m not sure if this is related. Is there maybe another update I need to find specific to the linear module?

Always worth a try, download the latest firmware package here:

and load it onto the USB drive, then on the touch screen go to files > tap USB > select the firmware file.

I’ve done this a few times already and it doesn’t seem to fix the issue unfortunately.

Disappointing. :frowning: Last option likely is to contact support, which will be slow because of lunar new year.

Quite a few people have assembled wrong and had the modules start fighting each other. Maybe they haven’t updated firmware (or this has now been taken care of), but it definitely let them run things without any warning.

-S

True - that’s fixed with the latest firmware. Earlier firmware allowed that.

1 Like

I’ve gotten it to work, somehow… I swapped one of the Y modules with the X module, reinstalled the newest firmware, and everything seems to be working smoothly now. Thanks for the help everyone!

I had to replace both Y axis modules on my F350. First support sent one which did not work then they sent a pair works fine now.
SUpport had me run the macro bootlog checked the log and found the problem. One of the Y-axes was not detected and caused the problem.

SUpport was helpful however, they need to store part in US . It took about 6-7 weeks to get working.

I like the printer will most likely buy another.