Y-Axis Linear Module Skips and Makes a Grinding/Screeching Sound

I was trying to get the laser module to cut some cardboard when my y-axis linear module seemed to misalign and die. I am not really sure how to describe it, but I’ve attached a video in the Google Photos link. In the video, it starts up and goes home, but instead of the plate coming to the front, there’s a terrible grinding/screeching sound. After it homes, when I try to move the Y-axis, sometimes I get the grinding sound as well and it does not move.

There are times that it would seemingly start up just fine. But then the y axis skips randomly during the job making everything misaligned. In the attached photos, you can see the design I am trying to cut out, and the result of the attempt. Before it even finishes the first layer, the y-axis becomes misaligned and it ruins the whole job.

Another slightly irritating issue is that the circles are not really circular but more ovals, but I think the skipping y-axis is a more pressing problem to fix first.

I don’t really know what to do, so if anyone can provide some insight on this issue that’ll be great. The snapmaker was working fine and I’ve only used it to CNC and 3D print a couple of things prior to this. This is the first time I am using the laser module, and you would think that if the linear modules were to break, it would happen on something like the CNC where there are higher levels of stress.

Here are photos of the problem.

It’s a support issue. I assume the machine is still under warranty.

Hey, I read your machine works fine for at least a month or so.
Here is a topic about linear module fails:

Unfortunately you have to reach out to support@snapmaker.com

Disassemble the bed and the platform and check which module does not work.

1 Like

Thanks to @eh9 and @xchrisd .

This is a support issue, please contact support@snapmaker.com for further help.

You need to check if one of the Y axes is dead while the other one needs to drag it when moving.

Edwin

I’ve finally gotten around to it and yes, one of the linear modules is broken and is dragging the other one.

1 Like

Update: They sent me a replacement and everything is working just as expected again.