FYI: Snapmaker 2 & Enclosure Fan Information plus alternatives

Here you have the information of the Fans in Snapmaker 2 and its enclosure plus some direct replacement alternatives I’ve found that have similar specs but less noise ( according to specs given, still have not had time to test them):

NOTE: In general, better order ball bearing ones as they will be quieter and more durable, also the connector should be XH2.54. Some stores require you to buy two, but you can also search a bit and find the same model in other stores.

EDIT1: New part cooling fan, same CFM/less noise

I hope it’s helpful :slight_smile:

I’ll do some testing in the future when I have them here.

Regards
Franky

31 Likes

Thanks for this!
I think less part cooling is no option, but thank you for writing up this part list!

1 Like

The PSU has two fans :wink: one in the outer casing. and one directliy in the PSU.

1 Like

Can you PLEASE confirm whether there are 2 fans in the printing toolhead?
I have verified that one fan works but how do I test the other (assuming there is another one)?
I have long suspected that my printing issues may be related to fans and cooling in general.
Thank you.

1 Like

No wonder it is so noisy!

Set the part cooling fan with M106 S255 to max, turn it of with M107.

Hi @JohnFiott, YES there are two fans - confirmed by disassembly :wink: - : The blower one is for hotend cooling and the 2510 is inside the head and set to cool the part, splitting the air in two parts for each side of the nozzle.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip @hoaschter :slight_smile: !. I did not do a full disassembly of the PSU. I’ll take a look and see if I can identify the fan and find alternatives for it

So is the hotend cooling fan on all the time by default? I have turned the parts cooling fan on and off using Gcode (M106, M107) but is there anything similar for the hotend cooling one? Maybe I need to specify the index in the Gcode command?

Try leaving the side panel of the module open and instructing the module to heat up. I assume this would trigger the hot end fan.

@Franky:
You might want to add the original fans’ dimensions, voltage, and amperage into your original post for people looking up alternatives. If they just go by the links you provided they may not know the voltage for instance (like with your “Actual Enclosure Fan” link, since it does not list the model # like the Actual PSU Fan link does).

For example, I posted this information over in the SnapMaker 2.0 Enclosure thread for the A350 (but may apply to all) enclosure fan:
Manufacturer: Shenzen Xinyujie Technology Co. Ltd.
Model: XYJ24B8020H
Width/Height: 80mm
Thickness: 20mm
Voltage: 24vdc
Amps: 0.25A

3 Likes

REPOST (After the maintenance of the site I cannot edit the original post)

Here you have the information of the Fans in Snapmaker 2 and its enclosure plus some direct replacement alternatives I’ve found that have similar specs but less noise ( according to specs given, still have not had time to test them):

NOTE: In general, better order ball bearing ones as they will be quieter and more durable, also the connector should be XH2.54. Some stores require you to buy two, but you can also search a bit and find the same model in other stores.

• Actual PSU Case Fan ( ~7 CFM, ~36 dBA )
    Model: XYJ24B3510H
    Width/Height: 25mm
    Thickness: 10mm
    Current: 0.08A

Alternative PSU Case Fan (~6.6 CFM, 27 dBA)
    Alternative PSU Case Fan ( 4.5 CFM, 24 dBA )

• Actual PSU Fan (internal, ~14 CFM, 29 dB)
    Manufacturer: NMB Technologies Corporation
    Model: 2404KL-04W-B30
    Width/Height: 60mm
    Voltage: 12vdc
    Current: 0.1A

Alternative PSU Fan 1 (~17 CFM, ~28 dBA)
    REMARK: The actual PSU cooling fan is quite good and not noisy, the alternatives are similar or slightly worse in CFM besides that to change it you have to dismantle the whole PSU. I would not recommend to change it. If anyone finds any other alternative, let me know :slight_smile:

• Actual Enclosure Fan (~45 CFM, 45.6 dBA )
    Model: XYJ24B8020H
    Current: 0.23A

Alternative Enclosure Fan 1 (43 CFM, 31 dBA)
    Alternative Enclosure Fan 1 ( ~43 CFM, 31 dBA ).
    REMARK: The alternative fans are 25mm thick in place of 20mm, but that should not affect the assembly, also might be needed to re-use the actual cable as it’s longer than the usual ones ( simple cut & paste will be enough)

• Actual Hotend cooling ( ~3 CFM, 40 dBA )
    Model: XYJ24B4010H
    Current: 0.15A

Alternative Hotend Cooling 1 ( ~3.3 CFM, 30 dBA)
    Alternative Hotend Cooling 2 ( 3.3 CFM, 30 dBA)
    Alternative Hotend Cooling 3 ( 2.6CFM, 22 dBA )

• Actual Part Cooling ( ~3.7 CFM, 31 dBA )
    Model: XYJ24B2510H
    Width/Height: 25mm
    Current: 0.07A

Alternative Part Cooling fan 1 (2.7 CFM, 22dBA)
    Alternative Part Cooling Fan 2 ( ~2.5 CFM, ~27 dBA)
    REMARK: The original part cooling fan is not so noisy and furthermore powerful than the alternative found.I would not recommend to change it. If anyone finds any other alternative, let me know :slight_smile:

EDIT1: New part cooling fan, more CFM/less noise
EDIT2: As suggested by @fillibar, add the description of original fans and some reformatting to make it more clear :relaxed: Also found the real PSU Fan and added it :wink:

I hope it’s helpful :slight_smile:

I’ll do some testing in the future when I have them here. If anyone has some direct alternative, please feel free to propose.

Regards
Franky

17 Likes

Awesome! Very useful because I thought the hotend used 12v fans not 24v like the others except the PSU Fan… Great information overall because I was just thinking about how the fans seemed oddly loud. The enclosure helps cut down on the fan noise except the PSU but your alternative is a dramatic dBA difference so that will likely solve that.

1 Like

Hello Franky,

Internal PsU fan:
This one is better I reckon.
Température controlled and quieter with higher CFM.

http://www.smartcooler.de/proddata/LFM1160T.pdf

I installed it already.

Cheers

Hello,

For complitness, could you add the backplate links for the fan listed above?
I mean they won’t fit on existing back plate.

Thanks

Glad to do so :slight_smile: , I cannot edit the previous posts anymore, but here it is:

• Actual PSU Fan (internal, ~14 CFM, 29 dB)
    Manufacturer: NMB Technologies Corporation
    Model: 2404KL-04W-B30
    Width/Height: 60mm
    Voltage: 12vdc
    Current: 0.1A

Alternative PSU Fan 1 (~17 CFM, ~28 dBA)
Alternative PSU Fan 2 (~11-21 CFM, ~15-32 dBA, temperature controlled - thanks to @gpt1plon )
REMARK: The actual PSU cooling fan is quite good and not noisy, the alternatives are similar or slightly worse in CFM besides that to change it you have to dismantle the whole PSU. I would not recommend changing it. If anyone finds any other alternative, let me know :slight_smile:

@gpt1plon, not sure what you mean :thinking: … all the fans have the same dimensions as the originals so should be directly swappable without needing anything else. The only one that is a bit different is the enclosure one as itś a bot thicker but fits nicely.

Can you, please clarify? I might miss something :slightly_smiling_face:

@Franky:
Wanted to thank you again for this information. I upgraded my A350 (which has been sitting idle for a bit until I am confident in the calibration routine again) and was surprised by the noise after so long. So I went ahead and replaced the PSU fan finally with the one I had ordered. Such a huge difference! It makes me almost disappointed that Snapmaker did not go with a quieter one to begin with.

Now if only they used a larger power supply so that a larger and nearly quiet fan could be used rather than these tiny ones that have to work harder. When you are dealing with such a larger area as it is in the first place, keeping this PSU so small may be nicer looking but I would trade quiet for the look of it.

2 Likes

How did you attach the third wire (the blue one, temperature)??

That third one is the sensing part. You have to locate it in a representative spot to control it. From what I see, probably the place where the fan is connected is a good one as is close to transformers and power transistors.

1 Like