SM2 power module noise

My PSU read 68dB when I got it.

@Edwin Newer to the forum and newer to snapmaker.
I voted for the ticket on Trello, but Iā€™d like to know more details. Is there any way that this will be a software/firmware update instead of a hardware upgrade? Iā€™d like to run my machine using octoprint, but the PSU noise is kind of unacceptable for a machine that is not doing anything to leave on at all times for easy access.

You could always use a really to turn the printer on and offā€¦ just leave the pi running all the time and your good to go :slight_smile:

Well, I just got my Snapmaker after a long wait. Put it together (good instructions, great quality parts). Fired it up and nearly cried. The noise from this thing is disgraceful. I havenā€™t even installed the software yet, Iā€™m seriously considering binning the machine. I have a large office, but even sitting five meters away from it, itā€™s way too loud to ever actually use.

The power supply is ridiculous and makes an expensive printer into a piece of expensive junk. Surely thereā€™s a way to reduce the noise level on it?

1 Like

There are many posts about swapping out the fan on this forum.

The small fan is the major offender in the noise, it can be easily swapped out :slight_smile: :

FYI: Snapmaker 2 & Enclosure Fan Information plus alternatives

1 Like

I opted to buy a 3510 fan and not modify the rear panel. Direct replacement, much quieter. https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07V1M74CG
Those fans are incredibly cheap, and I had one fail already. Also, the JST connector needs +/- swapped to match the PCB.

Be careful putting 12V fans on a 24V circuit - may result in early failure. May want to consider installing a buck converter to drop the voltage to 12V

2 Likes

I have ordered the fans you linked, did you need to swap the polarity on those as they look like they use 2pin JST connectors?

Yes, I needed to swap polarity. Itā€™s easy to tell: hold the new fan connector up to the old fan connector and make sure the red and black wires are in the same position. Mine looked like this when compared side by side:

2 Likes

Hello,
there is any problem with a 12V fan that is attached to a 24v pin?

@Askbruzz While itā€™s unlikely there would be catastrophic failures, it will likely have premature failure due to the extra electrical and mechanical stresses on the drive components.

4 Likes

I just installed the fan linked by @brent113 and measured an 8dB drop in fan noise from the powersupply! its also seems to provide better airflow and the sound is of a lower frequency.

Yet another cheap but extremely functional swap/mod from @brent113

6 Likes

I recived my SM2 A150 this week. On the power modul i noticte the loud noise of the back fan, so i teardown the hole module, and found a MeanWell powersupply for 24V and 320W 13,4A with a build in Fan and some additional boards from Snapmaker. Then i see a big problem, the light distributor screen for the withe LED (in front of the modul) is mostly closing the hole intake of my power modul. I removed this screen (and the power cable for the withe LED, i donā€™t need it.), i closed the gap between the housing and the MeanWell powersupply with foarm, and removed the back fan.
So i get a nice air flow from the front to the back, over the build in fan and the internal components of the powersupply, without to mutch noise. I thnik the back fan is not needed anymore, becase of the build in fan of the powersupply.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input. I wasnā€™t aware of the 24V vs 12V issue.

I replaced my mod with your suggested fan, and the solution is better in all ways. Simple drop in replacement, just switch the wiring, lower cost, and quiet performance.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

1 Like

Yes, why is it so loud ?? I received the printer in september 2020 with the loud fan, so till now, nothing is fixed. After the waranty periode, i will replace the fan.

They use a cheap ball bearing fan instead of a hydraulic bearing one, they arent even that much cheaper so its a weird choice given the difference in noise.

1 Like

I recently watched the video of the live stream from 04.June.2019.

I guess they ran into temperature issues of the powersupply or bad capacitors after a time, so they hastily placed a fan inside the psu to start mass production or something else. In the video above is no such a loud noise noticeable.

@brent113. The 3510 fan swapout is a very nice noise reduction for very little effort!

1 Like

The noctua 40x40x20 comes with LNA and ULNA in-line resistors. Thereā€™s no need for buck converters, etc. At 50mA, the resistors only have to burn off about 1/2 W. Even a simply metal film resistor can handle around 3W.

I just finished assembling the A350 and enclosure. I sent them my negative feedback about the poor quality fans both in the power supply and in the exhaust port of the enclosure. I havenā€™t installed the 3D print module yet and bet that one is also cheap and loud. I work in an 18x12 home office with wife and she thought the street cleaner was parked outside of our street-side apartment. It surprised me that they cut these corners yet spent a billion years designing Apple-esk packaging and assembly booklets. A $2000+ printer and enclosure and $0.50 fan? I donā€™t get it.

5 Likes

This post might be interesting to you :slight_smile:
FYI: Snapmaker 2 & Enclosure Fan Information plus alternatives

1 Like