PSU Noise Opinion

So I keep coming across posts about the PSU fan noise. Just going to give my 2 cents worth even though I’m probably going to take a lot of heat for it. Please feel free to correct any of the following if I am wrong.

Honestly I have no problem with the fan noise. I think it’s kinda quiet. I’ve been around computers my whole entire life and I’m a computer engineer, with my specialty being processor design and engineering. That being said I know exactly what loud fans are and this isn’t that loud, it’s probably more upper mid range, maybe mines just quieter? Who knows, the PSU hasn’t even gotten close to hot that I’ve noticed. I do have the privilege of having a properly ventilated and setup workshop in my basement.

I personally don’t worry about the fan speed, you should be in the same area as my computer that I built as a flagship benchmark competitive machine, dang thing sounds like a jet engine when idle, that’s on top of some water cooling. Right next to my printer and it easily drowns out the printers PSU fan.

Not saying that it can’t be improved, only that with what I’ve seen from my own printer it’s working fine as currently designed and I think the focus should be more on prioritizing stability, ahem firmware for example (still using 1.9, most stable IMO) and luban, as well as safety design improvements like the far too easily achieved feat of plugging cables in backwards, or even something as simple as releasing longer, more detailed machine assembly, operation and “what NOT to do” videos. Cue satirical views disclaimer.

“The opinion, beliefs or views of this post’s author does not necessarily reflect or represent the opinion, beliefs or views of the official Snapmaker company, it’s staff or members of the community forums.”

Hi,Artezio

I think you’ll notice the sound of the PSU fan when you replace the component?
It’s a hot topic as I just replaced it half an hour ago with a 24v fan I bought from AlieExpless.
It’s very quiet and I’m impressed.

Aside from that, you have made some “don’t do it” videos and written about reverse wiring stabs.

I’ve made my own suggestions on safety issues and what I’d like to see addressed as a function, and I’ve actually asked for improvements.

Since what you are thinking about is something that can be improved, why don’t you make your request more clear and explain in detail what it is and how to implement it?

If there is a “Do not do video”, I would make one first, "Is the mounting groove of the Y-axis rail correct? I’d make one.

1 Like

I’m currently working on creating my own improvements and will post them when finished/tested. Documenting all the steps with descriptions and pictures so far along the way.

May take a bit as I’m still recovering from double bilateral surgery on both wrists and elbows. As soon as I start to feel sore or anything I have to stop working on projects, really sucks haha. I just personally don’t have any issues with the fan, sure there are quieter fans but it just personally doesn’t bother me, maybe because I grew up in the 90’s with my dad being a network administrator and having noisy computers around at all times. Could also possibly be I got lucky and mines just quieter than most because I lucked out with how I was able to set it up in a well ventilated and temp controlled workshop, it being in a basement with a little cooler ambient temperature.

On the topic of loud fans, ever heard the first ps4 pro? https://youtu.be/XdBmbVZo2EQ that’s the level that I would be worried about when it comes to fan noise lol

1 Like

Honestly I have no problem with the fan noise. I think it’s kinda quiet.

To be honest, I think it’s a major problem. When I turned on the Snapmaker 2.0 A350 the first time, I couldn’t believe they engineered & shipped it that way - the PSU is very loud. Compare to the marketing slogan “Turn Your Desktop into a Workshop”. Compare to a Prusa i3 MK3S (which is even more affordable) - the PSU makes no noise at all, 3D printing is much quieter too.

If the PSU noise can’t be fixed by a Firmware update, please ship a replacement to all customers.

3 Likes

My computer is much louder. Though I’ve been around it my whole life, every computer I have ever had has been built by my dad or I, and none of which have been run of the mill hardware that you can go into any store and get by a retail built computer manufacturer. We’ve always built computers with the most powerful technology whenever we have built one which means strong air flow always needed so noisy fans. Water cooled computers have even higher speed fans for the radiator, and some just to push any lingering ambient heat out of the case… I took over building them since I was 10 so quiet computer isn’t in my vocabulary. Most likely why it doesn’t bother me but I can now see why it would bother people.

There are many different hacks available on the forums that can lessen the noise of the PSU. It should be much quieter out of the box but it isn’t. I followed one of the hack to install a Noctua 40x10 fan in the case and I am much happier. It did require soldering a buck converter between the power source and the fan but it was a pretty simple install.

1 Like

Yeah… well my power module just went boom. Might have something to do with why I thought it was quiet?

IMHO it’s a bit noisy. Quieter would be better.

1 Like

The fan in my PSU is what just failed lol

I replaced both fans with Noctua quiet fans. Even in its soundproof enclosure I could hear the PS fans. Now it’s near silent; even at night with the house quiet I have to strain to hear my printer.

2 Likes

Nice try.

We have improve the PSU fan and add new features regarding to the color of the LED.

New PSU is near silent and will indicate the working status of the machine via LED light.

Cheers
Edwin

That’s great news. I disconnected the LED bar while I was changing the fans.

1 Like

@Edwin Are you planning to replace the excessively loud PSUs? I purchased an A350 only 3 weeks ago. I’d like to quiet the PSU without voiding my warranty.

1 Like

I don’t think they’ll just replace the louder PSU’s unless something is actually wrong with them causing a recall. Like any company, they can’t just replace something for free because they improve it, it’s not financially smart to do so especially since pretty much any company that’s worth their salt always backs up their product and continuously works on improving it. They might give a discount for current owners like they are for the new printing module (already coming with machines since December or January) and the improved linear modules when they come out.

1 Like

@Artezio, thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you in principle, and I’m glad that they are continuing to improve. I realize that some people don’t see an issue with the noise from the PSU, but I personally see it as a defect because it affects when I can and cannot use the machine.

After receiving the A350, I put in a service request with my local distributor about the noise. I was initially told that because the PSU was small, it would necessarily be louder than a desktop computer PSU. :rofl: Then I was later told that the PSU noise would be addressed in June, but they couldn’t say if I’d receive a replacement.

I wonder if new machines are going to continue to ship with the loud PSU until June…

Who knows, maybe they’ll send you one because it impedes your being able to use the machine. I don’t know what they’re trying to improve on the PSU other than the noise and led light show. It will be more silent I do know that, and I think they’re going for an LED indicator light instead of the presentation glow it’s got goin on. I’m pretty sure the guts of actual power supply itself inside of the Snapmaker shell is a Mean-Well RSP-320-24v. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

You’re (partially) wrong. I think that the meanwell one was the case for the kickstarter versions. The later versions I know of have a “Great Wall” power supply: How to protect the power module from dust? - #5 by brvdboss

Maybe they are mixing both based on price and/or availability. But it doesn’t matter that much, I think both options are adequate.

YES !!
The controller noise is massive.
And I don’t understand why. What does the controller do anyway? What does it do to need such cooling feature?
Really, I’d like to understand.
Newby here.

Same question about the replacement of the fan.
I purchased my 350 last week.
Note : I think I really don’t care about the led on the controller’s facade…

Back on the subject.
Could you give us more info on new CPU fan?
= what is the model ?
= I really want to change it, will I need to do it myself? If so, preferably with the good one.

Thanks