Cura & Dual Extrusion head first try

Hi folks,
just finished my first dual color print with the dual extrusion head. I started off with Luban, and quickly stopped. Although many Cura settings are by now available in Luban, important ones are missing.

In Cura, I created a new printer with the following settings (not strictly true - I modified start/end code after the print, so take it with a grain of salt):

The extruder start/end-GCode is of no effect, but allows you to locate the extruder changes in the GCode more easily.

My machine start GCode:

G28 ;home
G90 ;absolute positioning
G1 X-10 Y-10 F3000 ;Move to corner
G1 Z0 F1800 ;Go to zero offset
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Set Bed Temperature
M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Wait for Hotend Temperature
M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ;Wait for Bed Temperature
G92 E0 ;Zero set extruder position

End-GCode:

M140 S0 ;Heated bed heater off
M104 T0 S0 ;Switch off left hotend
M104 T1 S0 ;Switch off right hotend
G90 ;absolute positioning
G1 Z{machine_height} E-1 F3000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
G1 X0 F3000 ;move X to min endstops, so the head is out of the way
G1 Y{machine_depth} F3000 ;so the head is out of the way and Plate is moved forward

This is partly inspired by the Luban JSON you can find here (Windows 64bit):

C:\Program Files\Snapmaker Luban\resources\app\resources\print-settings\printing\a350_dual

I decided to print without a purge tower (hate to throw away the plastic) and played with retraction. This did not work out perfectly, but I guess with a bit of tuning and tweaking of retraction settings I may get there.

These settings I made visible and set/will play a bit with in the future:

• Retraction distance: This Iā€™ll increase considerably - had it at 3 mm, but will change to 15 mm.
  • Retraction extra prime amount: Had this at 0.25 mmĀ³ - will leave it there
  • Skirt minimum length: had it at 250 mm - will next time do at least 500 mm. After first nozzle warm up, it takes very long until nozzle pressure is there, since much material has oozed out before. A longer skirt will help to build up pressure.
  • Nozzle Switch Retraction Distance: was at 16 mm - I guess Iā€™ll leave it there for the time being. May play around with retraction speedā€¦
  • Nozzle Switch Extra prime amount; was 0, will set this to 0.25 mmĀ³ next time

The model I printed did not need dual color, it was just because I was eager to test the new print head, so please be not disappointed by the following pictures :slight_smile:

Observations that cause me to test the other settings above:

• The skirt is barely there, because nozzle pressure was too low.
  • This also caused considerable under-extrusion on first layer. Later, flow was OK, although I yet did no extruder calibration. Also: Thereā€™s now on-the-fly flow control, yay! But did not use it here.
  • With retraction, the nozzle dwells for half a second on the print before tool change. This leaves a scar. I think Iā€™ll try Z-hop with retraction next time. Also, perhaps I can influence the tool change locations to be at invisible places.
  • Overall print quality is decent, print cooling good. The print has considerable overhangs, and they came out very well! My linear modules need maintenance - this causes a few imperfections. Do not attribute them to the print head. Btw. print speed was 60 mm/s, itā€™s PLA @205Ā°C and build plate at 60Ā°C. Layer height 0.24 mm.
  • The toolhead change is really nice! Snapmaker found a clever solution! Kudos!

I used firmware 1.15.15, no issues so far. Calibration was done a few days earlier, so the calibration settings survived a power cycle.

All in all Iā€™m satisfied - I guess the dual extrusion head and me will become close friends :slight_smile:

And here a few pictures:

5 Likes

Great, thanks for the experimenting :slight_smile:
Canā€™t wait till min arrives (shipping by end of February if all goes well).

Iā€™m more a prusaslicer fan, but the gcode segments will definitely help me setting up a prusalicer profile

1 Like

I use both slicers - so please share any insights you gained on PrusaSlicer here! Thanks!

I have been using it with a borrowed geeetech a30t (3colors,but a mixing extruder) with good results.
It worked better for me than cura when a wipe tower is used. And, more importantly itā€™s very easy to paint the colors on models in the slicer.

Iā€™ll keep you posted as soon as my module arrives!

Hy Hauke,

can you share your Cura Profiles for the Dual Extrusion?

Regards
Michael

It seems that this is a ā€œfeatureā€ of Cura. You need to add Extruder end gcode to move it off the model. I use the prime tower so I move it to there.

1 Like

You will also need to adjust the size of the print bed to take account of the reduced print volume due to the size of the DE

X - 310mm
Y - 325mm
Z - 290mm

1 Like

Oh, very good point, yes! Thanks!

The printer settings: Yes, I did in my post - you can download an export from Cura here. I followed this website to export the settings - not sure if this is the best way, any suggestions appreciated. In there is I think one printing profile for PLA, but I am not sure if I recommend to use this as it isā€¦ I do not work with profiles much but walk through the settings each time. Which is stupid, I know.

Thanks for the hint. I guess Iā€™ll play around with it, you could even include movement in Z, but this will only work for the toolchange. I was a bit unclear in my post - I guess the dwell will happen on any retraction - it is the rsult of the time it takes to retract the filament. Each retraction may leave a scar, but Z-Hop hopefully will solve this. Not sure when I do my next print (nothing in the queue currently), but will report back when I have new results.

EDIT: Something that comes to my mind: You could design a wiper that is attached to the X-axis module, and with the extruder end code let the extruder move the nozzle across this wiper - I guess if I canā€™t get success with retraction settings only, Iā€™ll try thatā€¦ I really hate the purge/wipe tower - just a waste of filamentā€¦

I hate Bad prints. There all filament is wasted :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Burgerboy why is the print bed volume reduced?

In X: the two nozzles are offset, so they canā€™t reach the same space. In Y: The additional mechanics cause the nozzles to be farer away from the X-axis. In Z: The head is larger due to all the mechanics, the nozzles sit deeper. See images here:

Due to the DE module being larger than the SE. On the X-axis the extruders are limited because they sit side by side. Y and Z because of the modules dimensions

Can somebody provide value changes for A250? I guess I could copy ā€œPrinter settingsā€ part from Snapmaker profile I already have and just change the Printhead settings but I dont want to screw something. Its shame Snapmaker does not provide profiles for dual extruder like they did for regular one before :confused:

1 Like

I guess Snapmaker is just a bit behind, I trust that they will publish ā€œofficialā€ profiles. Until then, Iā€™d indeed copy the values from the ā€œofficialā€ A250 profile, add one extruder and adjust the printable area, which according to the shop page is 220 mm Ɨ 235 mm Ɨ 210 mm.

1 Like

Could somebody also give me some tips how to do extruder calibration for dual extruder? Another thing that should probably be in firmware. It seems I have also considerable under-extrusion on first layer.

Itā€™s exactly the same as for the single extruder. If you use Curaā€™s calibration models select the Extruder you want to use. If you use Teaching Tech youā€™ll need to change the gcode if you want to use extruder 2. Change T0 to T1.

My results with Cura are not so good. With Luban, the pressure is much better. However, there is no irregular outer skin in Luban :frowning:

Are there the profiles for fast, normal and fine for the 350 with Dual?

DEFilamentCalibration01.stl (8.5 KB)
DEFilamentCalibration02.stl (8.3 KB)

Not sure about under extrusion on the first layer, but Iā€™d recommend playing with Z offset and Temp/flow of your profile. The calibration model included will help with nailing those retraction settings for clean travels at least. It helped me massively in terms of quickly tuning filaments to get rid of blobs and stringing on prints with a lot of nozzle switches.

Iā€™m still having issues with the dual extruder clogging either nozzle on longer prints though and Iā€™m kind of at a loss of what to do as I meticulously tuned those retraction settings. The retractions are clean, with minimal stringing, though the same issue always presents itself. After some variable time of inactivity after a nozzle switch retraction, an extruder will stop depositing filament due to the filament expanding inside of the nozzle and hardening. How, in the world, do we fix this?! Iā€™ve tried so hard to get the retraction settings in sync with the heat zone of the printer, to no avail. It still happens. Has anybody else had any luck with preventing this specific issue? Iā€™d like to start using my dual extruder successfullyā€¦

1 Like