Filament is stuck (jammed) inside 3d printer module

During a print, there was no filament being extruded. I stopped the print and found that the filament is stuck inside the 3d module. I did an unload, but it wouldn’t come out. I had to cut the filament on top so i could try to pull it out through the front opening. Now it is stuck and i cannot get it out. I have turned the print head up to 220, but it’s not moving. How do I get it out of the hole that’s below the feeder?

It’s very hard to see but the black SM filament is stuck in the hole.

Update: I heated up to 250. I then have a small Allen wrench that fit perfectly in the hole. I was able to push the broken element down through the extruder. I did 2 load cycles to make sure I was getting all the filament out. Thanks for all the advice

Have you tried opening the door on the front of the module, and then carefully using pliers to try and pull the broken piece up?
When you turned the nozzle up (200 should be enough, unless it’s special material), did you try to load more filament behind it to push the broken piece through?
Just throwin’ out ideas here…

Yes tried all those things. The filament broke off as I was trying to pull it out. I’ve tried pushing in with a paperclip at 240. It’s stuck. I cannot get it out.

I tried taking off the print head to maybe push it up, but it doesn’t work like that

The easiest way would be to change the hotend.

If you don’t want to do so, preheat to your print temp., disassemble the nozzle (attention hot!!) and check if the filament goes out of the hotend.

For the next time, it would be better and easier with some pictures.
If you have questions about hotend change look in the support section of sm homepage, I guess there is a good article about.

I added a picture although I don’t think it helps. I took off the extruder point, but I couldn’t see filament. I’ll look into hot end removal

Spitballing here. I have some Cat5 cutoff, and a single strand (striped) looks slightly smaller than the priming waste. My analog calipers measure them as the same size, but a visual front-and-back comparison makes the wire look slightly smaller. I’d try warming the nozzle up to something low, like 140ºC, and pushing the wire into the nozzle from below (careful, it’ll be very easy to burn yourself). If you’re lucky, it’ll push the stuck filament out enough that you can grab it with tweezers or pliers. If it stays stuck, try gradually warming it up, going up to 190ºC before I’d give up.

I also have some torch tip cleaners, which would work better. But those are a much harder material, so be I’d be careful to make sure I don’t damage the nozzle.

If that doesn’t work, I this you’re left with @xchrisd’s suggestion of swapping the whole hotend. They’re cheap for a reason. While it’s still warm, you can try removing just the nozzle, but I haven’t had much luck doing that.

I was finally able to push it out with a small Allen wrench and a 250 temp. Thank you for advice

I’m unsure how to add a small allen wrench to

I’m glad you solved your problem.

3 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately when I tried printing again tonight, not much was coming out. It does when I load it, but just barely comes out when printing. Wonder if I broke it.

I may have to replace it.

Faced recently same, this is what I did, follow the link for the answer in the video. How to fix filament run out issue or filament got stuck and not coming out in snapmaker 3d module - YouTube
hope it helps someone with A350 3d printing module.

Thanks