Fabscreen has stopped error after attempting to run boundary in CNC mode

Steps to reproduce

1. Uploaded 3 .nc files over wifi from Luban
  2. On controller, disconnected from wifi
  3. Select file, press ready
  4. Set x and y origins
  5. Press “run boundary”

At this point the controller crashed with the error “fabscreen has stopped”. After recovering, the files I had uploaded appeared to be missing. I cycled power and found that the files were still there. I am able to reproduce crash 100% with this file and 2 others created for the same job. I assume there’s something it doesn’t like in the gcode.

Edit: the jobs mill just fine. It’s only run boundary which is failing.

Firmware: 1.10.20200822

Gonna end up contacting support but wanted to write this down while fresh.

x-post to github issue

Attaching gcode: 1001-h1.cnc (1.3 MB)

Fabscreen stopped happens to me now and then, power cycle usually fixes it yeah

not sure what the deal is

Did you create the nc files using Luban?

I’ve had the run boundary fail on me with the same error (and needing a power cycle) with files generated by flatcam (to generate cnc gcode for pcb creation).
I could run the files, but couldn’t run boundary without them crashing the machine. So in that case I assumed there was some gcode in there that wasn’t supported by the controller (but not critical for actually executing)

Created with Fusion 360. I’m new at CNC mode but I have run one or two test jobs before this without crashing with the same post process settings. Just tried again and same issue. :confused:

Ok, haven’t had that happen to me yet. And have been using the cnc function in combination with Fusion360. To help debug you should (if possible) provide the generated gcode, your firmware version etc. They will probably ask you anyway at some point :slight_smile:

1 Like

good point, added to my original post above

I’ll be watching this as this happened today on my first CNC Fusion 360 attempt. Same deal. Can’t run boundary. Don’t feel safe milling without that as it looks to me like the work origin I set in the Fusion project isn’t where I think it is.

Good luck!

The run boundary with Fusion has worked for me without fail so far. (knock on wood)
The only problems that I’ve had were when I thought I knew better and ignored it.
Always turned out to be a problem with how I’d set z-origin and or my stock size in Fusion.
One thing you can always do is set your z-origin way above clamps and workpiece and then start it.
Then you can watch how it runs without it actually doing any cutting.

-S

1 Like

For everyone following, devs say they are fixing it!

voidrin commented 4 hours ago

@halr9000
We’ve reproduced this issue and we will fix it in the next version ASAP. Thanks for the report.

1 Like