3d Chameleon - up to 4 color/material printing with Single Extruder

It’s been a while since my last post here, and it’s been a while since I’ve touched the 3dChameleon project. Uploading everything I have - maybe community will pick this up and make it polished and finished.

I’ve got multiple successful prints with this code/setup. Description leaving to minimum - don’t want to waste time if there is no interest in the community. More you comment/ask questions, more time I will dedicate to this.

3D Chameleon is an amazing tool.

Follow this link for the repo with G-Code and description - GitHub - shurushetr/3DChameleon_Snapmaker_2.0: This repository holds G-Code developed to adopt 3DChameleon MK3 version with Snapmaker 2.0

2 Likes

Really interested but unfortunately it’s not that easy to print 4 filaments, I guess.

Do we need to print gcodes from the 3dchameleon machine? (I think so but hoping it’s possible from the touchscreen…)

Its actually pretty easy, custom g-code that plugs into prusaslicer, takes care of everything.

3dchameleon is just two step motors that are controlled by single controller with a momentary switch as input device. At least MK3 version of it.

There is nothing too complex about implementing it. People install 3d chameleon even on bambulab…

I am definitely interested in more information. Looking at the Chameleon website, if I get one now, it will be a Mk4 so I would need to figure out the changes.

Thank you for starting this.

I thought about printing difficulties, not the device itself :wink:.

Its like a octopi and the gcode has to be executed on the controller of 3dchameleon?

I upgraded mine yesterday, and it seems like it should just work with current code. Basic functionality is the same. Hit me up with questions so I can expand the documentation for everyone.

No, 3DChameleon doesn’t see any G-Code. All it has as an input is the switch, that is triggered by a 3d printer. The switch can be installed at any axis, and then moving the axis to trigger the switch is how you control the color change.
Engage the switch for 5 sec - load color red.
Engage the switch for 3 sec - load color blue.
Timing in the example is not accurate but this is how it works. Very simple. So the custom G-Code goes into PrusaSlicer and plugs into the final sliced gcode that gets shipped to printer for execution.

1 Like

Thank you for clarification.
Do you know a alternative ordering way than from 3dchameleon or a part list? 55$ for shipping is a bit high…

I don’t think they have other options for sale.
International is pricey there for some reason, I can check how much it is to ship something from me to your country if you’d like. Or you could probably use a mail forwarder and consolidate packages to save a ton on shipping if ordering something else. I used to use them all the time.

Unfortunately, you can’t save money together either. Each additional part also means €50 more shipping.
Shipping for 3 items is 157€… :man_shrugging:t3:

I’m pretty sure if you reach out to Bill - bill@3dchameleon.com - he will be able to assist with combining the shipment.

But when I mentioned the Mail forwarders - they specialize on combining packages in one to ship overseas to save on weight.

One of them that I used before - Shipito | Shop In The US & Ship Anywhere | Free US Address

1 Like