Snapmaker 2 + Octoprint on Docker via Wifi + Palette 2S

Hi guys,

I’d like to extend the usability of my Snapmaker 2.0 by using Octoprint.
I know there are already people using Octoprint with a Pi plugged into the USB.
Now I have tried installing it in a docker container on my NAS, which works well.
Only downside is it is looking for USB/serial port.

If Luban can connect to SM2 over wifi, control the printer and send commands, I do not think it is an issue for a software like Octoprint to do something similar.

Apart from putting up a request for Octoprint to connect to Wifi-ready 3d printers like SM2, was thinking if anyone in the Snapmaker community is savvy enough in python to create a SM2 plugin?

Also, is anyone on SM2 using the Mosaic Palette 2S/Pro?

I’ve use the Palette on a Snapmaker Original but not connected it to the 2.0 yet, too many jobs in the queue. :smile:

I have high hopes that someone will create a full-featured plugin for Octoprint that can connect to SM (wifi or USB is fine for me) and correctly handle print, laser, and CNC jobs.

IMHO Snapmaker should consider putting their development efforts behind Octoprint as a hardware/job management platform and steer their customers towards Cura, Lightburn, CarbideCreate, etc. for design and slicing. This path would better deliver best-of-breed capability and new features on the design front, and let the SM team leverage what is already there in Octoprint and focus on stability and performance for the actual printing/cutting/carving tasks.

1 Like

LOL! so i want to know does it mean that SM and Palette play well? i see SM Original has a printer profile in Octoprint but none for SM2 yet.

I fully agree! Though do you think the reason why they push out Luban is because the other software are not capable of handling non-3d prints? (e.g. CNC, laser).

How do we get the attention of SM staff to this request?

Octoprint currently does NOT support the other heads - I tried it with a laser job and it did not work. It is open source though, so it should be much less complicated for the SM developers to modify it to support the other tools than to keep Luban up-to-date with all the new stuff that Cura, Lightburn etc. are developing.

I think it’s because Snapmaker is using homemade additions to the gcode.