Works: USB to Ethernet adapter

Hi Snapmakers,

I prefer LAN cable over WiFi, and so after receiving my beautiful A350 yesterday, I attached an USB to Ethernet adapter to the USB port of the controller. This was an immediate success, it receives an IP via DHCP and I can connect successfully via Luban.

I suppose that any Linux kernel supported Ethernet chip should work, since Android is based on the Linux kernel. The adapter I used uses the Realtek R815x family chipset, namely the R8153.

When connecting, Snapmaker will still ask you to confirm the connection as WiFi connection.

To the Snapmaker team: Please please leave the support for such adapters in the machine in future releases! Where my machine in the end will live, I do not have WiFi reception, and cable is more stable then WiFi anyhow (as you can see from several posts in the Facebook group).

/me is happy :slight_smile:

Cheers

Hauke

12 Likes

Do you have a link for the adapter?

@Hauke

This is great news! I wonder if other usb network devices will work? Is Bluetooth and and 5g Wi-Fi devices accepted by the Linux kernel?

I think it is this one: https://www.amazon.de/Dell-Adapter-USB-auf-Ethernet/dp/B00IPNHMBO - it was included with my Dell Laptop, so I am not 100% sure.

I guess itĀ“s a bit of trial and error. I suppose if you find a reference somewhere that a device workes with raspberry Pi, chances are high it will work with Snapmaker 2 also, but nothing is guaranteedā€¦

How close is the SM2 controller with a pi? Do you think it could run an octoprint server? I feel like that would be a huge improvement.

Look for an adapter with a Realtek RTL8153 chip and it should work.

The touchscreen controller is ARM based, just like the Raspberry Pi. But I guess thatĀ“s more or less the end of similarities, apart from perhaps that Android and Linux are close relatives. Doing a 10 seconds research, I hit this link: Reddit - Dive into anything It says that Octoprint somehow can run on Android, so in theory your idea would be feasible, and I would immediatly agree that it would be nice.
However, in the way to this stands that the touchscreen is not really open to modifications without a bit of ado. Paths to follow would be to see if a remote shell is somehow exposed via USB or over the network, or if behind the small plastic cover on the top back theeĀ“s a JTAG, UART or whatever debugging port. If so, there might be a way.
Personally, IĀ“ll just go for a classic Raspberry Pi when I set up my OctoPrint.

I agree probably easier to go with a standard pi, just a shame to have all that power and not be able to make good use of it :frowning:

Octopi (the Raspbian OS) would not work on the controller. However, Octoprint is just Python, so an Android-based controller should be able to handle it easily.

I think that this already has been done: https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/5jk723/update_octoprint_on_android_it_actually_works_on/ However, Iā€™ve no idea how stable this is. Still, I guess the touchscreen controller would be absolutely capable of that if Snapmaker would put their effort into it.

There are a few open issues in relation to octoprint integration:

I agree that it seems to make a lot of sense to offer octoprint as an interface on the touch screen. We have yet to see the source for that, though there are decompilations of it since it was embedded in the controller firmware.

o

1 Like

Since the Touchscreen runs on Android, Iā€™d not be surprised if thereā€™s no real need to understand the Touchscreen controller software - all thatā€™s needed is to understand how to install Apps on the Controller and how to perhaps disable the Snapmaker app(s), because if octoprint would take over, it would interfere with the Snapmaker native controls.
As to my knowledge nobody yet has found a way to make the controller accessible - connecting it to an USB-C port on a PC does not yield anything (it does not even start), and the case is not easy to open, so you canā€™t look for a JTAG/UART/ICSP connector.
Hopefully Snapmaker will release more information at some pointā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to use a usb to ethernet adapter, just hooked it up today. It wonā€™t even pretend to connect. I get the following error: Request has been terminated. Possible causes: the network is offline. Origin is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Origin, the page is being unloaded, etc. Can anyone help?

Hi jbellis,
hereā€™s what I would check:

• Connect the USB-Ethernet-Adapter to the large USB-port of the Snapmaker
  • Plug in the Ethernet cable
  • Start Snapmaker
  • On the Touchscreen under Settings go into ā€œAbout Machineā€ and identify the IP address the printer has acquired:
  • Now start Luban, go to Workspace, and hit the ā€œ+ā€ in the connect section. Enter the IP you identified earlier, and confirm:
  • On first connect, youā€™ll need to authorize the connection on the touchscreen.

To make your life easier, Iā€™d create a DHCP reservation on your router for the Snapmaker so that the IP will stay the same even after power cycling the Snapmaker.

If the ā€œAbout machineā€ page says ā€œNot connectedā€, this unfortunately can mean anything, starting from the USB-Ethernet-Adapter is not compatible, the printer did not get a DHCP lease, the network cable is not OK or anything else that is faulty.

1 Like

Do you still have it working on latest firmware?

Works with 1.16.7 - did not yet upgrade to 1.17 - currently travelling and away from machine. In case it does not work with 1.17 anymore, Iā€™ll report here. If you do not read anything here in two weeks, it still works :slight_smile:

EDIT: Now on 1.17 - still works.

1 Like