When will the Camera Capture work properly?

The camera capture is unusable. The calibration is WAY off. When i manually adjust it (like other posts suggest), it gets better but is way off from the auto, and it is still not correct. Then when i try to do a camera capture, it puts the image in the very top right of the screen in Luban. when i move the background to the middle, it is not in the correct spot even though it should be. I tried moving my object to the top right where the background gets placed but that does not work either.

The best i can do is not use it at all and try and line up my object using a ruler and about 8-12 tries of “Running the boundary” even then I am off a bit. This is frustrating for anything that is not going to get cut out by the laser. Which is about %80 of the things i want to use. Here is an object that I thought was dead on in the middle. If the camera capture worked, I am sure I could eyeball the problem and prevent it.

I usually just use a piece of masking tape to mark the center and then either adjust the work origin or adjust the placement of the work. But it’s always a little tricky finding the center of a circle.
For something like this you can use the cnc bed.
I used the laser to engrave a series of circles and squares of various sizes on my wasteboard so it’s easy to center things like coasters.
Just make sure if you’re using the cnc wasteboard and auto-focus that you account for the difference in height (mine is 4.1 taller.)

2 Likes

Center of a circle? Swap the head and print a circle center finder. This one is interesting though there are lots to choose from on Thingiverse. I do the masking tape to centre then sometimes remember to remove it before starting the Laser!

2 Likes

I have done a lot of engraving on coasters and the method I use which gets me dead centre 99% of the time is as follows:

• measure the diameter of your coaster

• Print a circle of the same diameter with a centre mark (I used word to create this)

• Cut out this template and use it to align the laser work origin (you need to have your engraved design centered on the work origin in luban when generating the g-code for this to work)

Because the coasters I have been using are all circular and of the same size, orientation does not matter and I can use the same template over and over for near perfect centering basically every time. Faster than waiting for the machine to do camera capture and no marks on the actual work piece required!

2 Likes

How do I get snapmaker to turn this into a bug so they can fix it?

I don’t think they think it’s broken. Like they don’t see any problem with having two different ways of setting work origin and how they show and use the quadrants. It’s completely confusing (especially for a new user and unnecessary)

I really like this jig I printed:

I also ended up lightly laser engraving my cnc spoil board with a set of varying size circles and squares so I can use that for quick alignment. Just make sure you account for the extra thickness of it if you use autofocus set on regular laser surface.

-S

If I follow the instructions as in the video and come out with incorrect results then it is broken. They should fix it or change the video to show the other ways to use it.

Reach out to support via email, @ edwin on here, or submit an issue on the firmware repository.