What you think about the new products / upgrades today?

@astromedia they are ~2 to 3 weeks away from shipping (at least for us here in the US).
I am sure once someone gets some there will be a rush to ‘post first’ :slight_smile:
did you see this The latest version of A350 machine - silent module experience sharing - Snapmaker 2.0 - Snapmaker: where creation happens

2 Likes

Is there a consensus on whether the upgraded 3d print module is worth it? I haven’t had a lot of issues with mine printing PLA (ABS is another story…), but I got my 50% off coupon, so for half price, is it worth the upgrade?

If your issue is with insufficient cooling or filament grinding, then yes it’s likely worth it.

If your issues are with first layer height, bed levelling, and machine calibration then no, the new print head won’t fix it.

Even though the store page has that mistake, the A350T page shows the correct configuration for how many modules are need for each axis

glad to hear it as i used my coupon an hour ago… lol

personaly Im waiting for dual extruder because it will have probably same upgrades and capability to print two materials at once - just something to take into account i suppose :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What annoys me a bit is that they leave us guessing - is noone from the Snapmaker team reading this? Why don’t we get clear answers? Does 20mm lead screw mean the advance per rotation or the diameter of the lead screw? Is there a resolution tradeoff or not? Does “do not mix modules” mean you must not mix within one axis because of mechanical differences, or is it all 5 axis modules that must be replaced because the controller can only handle one kind at a time? What means faster? Old recommended print speed was 60 mm/s - what is the new recommendation? Why do we need to guess and piece together this information?

Please, Snapmaker team, publish some meaningful specs! We’re makers, we love facts!

4 Likes

I have a A250 that I have bought on a French website. I will not have the 50% discount, because I have not bought on Snapmaker website directly. It is totally unfair. Isn’t it a Snapmaker anyway?

I am a bit lost. Looking at the code here and here I would assume the following:

• new X/Y: 20mm pitch, 160 steps / mm, 3200 steps / turn, 0.00625mm resolution
  • new Z, old X/Y/Z: 8mm pitch, 400 steps / mm, 3200 steps / turn, 0.0025mm resolution

Can anyone confirm this or provide correct values?
Looking at the torque values here I would highly doubt that any finer micro stepping is done as acceleration forces already put the machine at its limit. So am I right to assume that I get quiet movement at the cost of a lower X/Y resolution? The higher speed is not relevant to me.

I have waited patiently and eager for the new modules to come out, but this makes me really reconsider whether to order them or not… or has this no visual/measurable impact?

Yes, there is a 2.5x speed/torque tradeoff in the new and old modules. Appears they are still using 16x microstepping.

Also worth noting that it may be as simple as disabling the check on line 245 to enable old and new generation modules to coexist. Would be smart to replace with a more sophisticated check to ensure each of the pairs are the same generation.

Maybe I’ll submit a PR on that, that would probably grind their gears LOL. Is that a “Feature” or a “Fix”

2 Likes

Have these coupons a deadline to be used ?
I need time to learn if there is any advantage. At this moment I have no technical data or practical comparison. Nobody explains clearly why the Z modules are not compatible. I don’t want to buy blind. This is not a Kickstarter anymore.

1 Like

The 3D Printing Module page says they’re sold out. So much for getting a discount on that.

The new Z modules support a higher resolution of movement through one rotation of the lead screw vs. the X-Y modules, which provides finer Z axis positioning and should result in more consistent printing layer thicknesses and cutting depths.

Just worth clarifying: the same as the current generation.

Higher resolution only compared to the lower resolution of X-Y

Correct, which begs the question: Why did they reduce the resolution of the X-Y? Strictly for speed?

Given the difference between 0.00625mm and 0.0025mm do i care? this seems to be less than the margin of error when measuring backlash, other parameters and just the plain variance in construction and other things… heck it is smaller than i would pay attention to when measuring my xyz calibration cubes with a true micrometer… tl;dr so does it matter in practice?

1 Like

Doubtful. The haven’t change the bed mounting from 2 points to 4 points. They’re still relying on the rigidity of a small mounting area, which just isn’t very rigid.

It’s a lead screw with 20 mm lead. In this case “lead” is completely unambiguous. See Lead (engineering) - Wikipedia.

Yes, critically so. The difference you mention is only of importance if you are travelling just a single step.

The values differ by a large amount, 2.5 times.

2 Likes

So, if I want quieter but not less precise or less torque, can I get 5 new z-axis linear rails and keep the same quality as I have now? or mix the new z-axis rail with my old one? Confusing…