What you think about the new products / upgrades today?

No you cannot mix and match and you cannot install Z modules on X and Y, the firmware checks for that and errors out.

Really, no idea why that’s enforced though. Probably could modify the firmware for that.

And now the Power Module is sold out. I sure hope they honor the coupon code for a while.

@TheBum they better, I haven’t gotten my 50% off code yet.

I’m trying to follow along but I’m a bit confused. According to this What are the differences among the Linear Modules of Snapmaker 2.0 A250T/A350T, F250/F350, and A150/A250/A350? – Snapmaker the Z axis is still an 8mm lead…so what would be the point of changing the Z axis other than for noise reduction (which I don’t care about)?

Snapmaker has not presented any reasons I’m aware of, just noise reduction on Z.

Thanks Brent. I have also reached out to SM support for some clarification.

Cheers
Mark

1 Like

check your spam folder, thats where mine went to

Same with me. Normally SM stuff doesn’t.

No time limit given on the email. The only warning is that it’s a one-time use only:

• Limit to one use per customer. We recommend replacing three upgrade modules at the same time. If you need to purchase other specified modules later, please contact our customer service to get a new discount code.

-S

Before i will upgrade i need to do some thinking… At this moment i some of the parts are out of order so i cannot order all three items for update… And i did some calculations…

The 3 parts (3D printing module, Linear Modules (bundle) and the Power Module) order at once are €1017, that makes it with the 50% discount €513.50 for an upgrade of my current machine (shipping costs not included).

This upgrade would leave me with some spare parts which i cannot use anymore for the SM machine (Linear Modules) and some spare parts for if they make break and i need to wait for replacement (3D printing module and Power Module). Also knowing me, these parts will go and collect a lot of dust before i will use them or throw them away.

So i am more thinking about adding €485.50 and get a F350. These also include the upgrade items. So when one concurrent usage is needed, i can use the silent parts. If i want more i can do two runs the same time (mostly do 3d printing). Or i do need to swap less, CNC already produce a lot of noise so the ‘old’ powerunit doesn’t bother at those times but more silence during 3D print is ways better.

@Snapmaker-Support @Melitta_Snapmaker Will there be big discount (like 50% off) on Fx50 machines for current SM2.0 owners? :wink:

I never received a coupon, but the only emails I ever get from SM are the forum summaries.

Guess they don’t know I’m a customer, despite repeated interactions with support and purchases from the store

on the mail it says to email support if you have issues with the coupon, or need a new one, no harm asking them!

-edit-
check your mail again, i just got my coupon for a second time (sorry its same code so already used as they are one time)

You are mirroring my thoughts here. With resolution, it may still be a matter of debate - with some modification of the firmware they might increase microstepping, which might improve resolution again. The TMC drivers can theoretically do 256 microsteps. Another thing is torque: The old drivers were rated up to 4A, the TMC drivers are rated 2A. Also, a steeper lead reduces leverage, so I’d infer that at milling, with high forces involved, there’s an increased chance that the new modules will skip steps much earlier than the old ones. Something else I am unsure about is lost steps compensation. Looking on prusa printers, they seem to notice if the steppers miss steps and compensate for that. I’ve no idea if this is unique to the TMC drivers or is “only” a matter of firmware.

I’m still weighing in my head the Pro’s and Con’s - here’s my current thought process:

Pro:

• Higher speed
  • More modern drivers with potentially more features (missed steps compensation)
  • Silence (not really important to me - the beast sits in my basement…)

Con:

• Potentially less torque
  • Potentially less resolution
  • 5 perfectly good modules go catching dust (waste of money and resources)

Would like to know more:

• Internal construction: Old modules had plastic nuts, which I find disappointing. Are the new ones full metal? → Anyone receiving the new modules willing to open them and take photos?

My idea that would have compelled me was: buy the 5 new modules at the generous discount, use them, and if anything breaks have the old ones for replacement, or perhaps use the new for 3D printing/laser (fast) and the old for milling (torque). But this does not work out because you can’t mix - which certainly is just firmware. I see no reason otherwise why it should be a problem to mix modules as long as the modules of one axis are the same generation.

@bakkerl I believe the 50% discount only applies to the upgrade parts and does not qualify for one of the machines. @Hauke From what I gathered on the live stream, the new rails are more powerful, quieter, and 50% faster. Torque is not lost, it’s gained. But the drivers are 2A so I’m not sure how they came up with that calculation.

That makes sense actually, they could keep the torque similar by upping the driver current even with the mechanical reduction in gear ratio

1 Like

My questions is, if we upgrade the power supply and all the linear rails to the new ones, what do we do with the old ones?

Could buy a replacement base, bed, controller, splitters, and cables from snapmaker and have a 2nd machine lol. I think the linear modules are over half the total cost of the machine.

1 Like

i would be willing to take the front end of and take pictures, but not disassemble any further than that.

1 Like

I have read the spec on A350T/A250T on the web site; can’t find the info on laser cut; what materials can it cut, and how thick can it cut?

From a reputable manufacturer (Endurance Lasers):

The 10W laser can cut 4-5 mm of wood, plywood, and acrylic with a single pass.

So less than or equal to that.

I thought about doing this, but then I would just want to upgrade those rails, rinse and repeat nonstop. :expressionless:

What they showed on the call was 5mm THICKER wood than the provided material with the original machine, so it was actually more than 5mm with a single pass at higher speeds. However they didn’t actually say what wood it was, sneaky sneaky :rofl: