What you think about the new products / upgrades today?

150mm/s is faster than even a 10W diode laser can engrave at. Industrial machines are using 40W CO2 lasers or fiber lasers, not diodes. This machine will still be limited by the laser power and not the linear module speed.

I looked up industrial work speeds and 40W to 80W lasers operate around a max of 350mm/s.

Scaling that down (roughly) by a factor of 4 puts the max speed around 90mm/s.

Maybe thereā€™s a new volcano hotend or co2 head in the works, and theyā€™re hoping weā€™ll work through all the issues with the faster modules while they develop the heads.

Rails operated as ganged pairs on these machines have to have the same lead. The reason is that (1) step commands are given as hardware signals on a dedicated wire (not over CANbus) and (2) the step commands are generated on only one signal wire on the controller and duplicated to two signals in the splitter box. Only if the rails were controlled independently would it be possible to use software to control them separately but have them move in unison.

Itā€™s technically feasible for a linear module to report its lead length back to the controller. I hope that SM has the presence of mind to check for mismatched lead screws in software and report back on an assembly misconfiguration, but Iā€™m not optimistic.

1 Like

It depends on what youā€™re engraving. Anodized aluminum at 150mm/s? No of course not. Engraving on foam or card stock with the 10w laser? Sure why not. Have you heard of the Zmorph? Itā€™s a more expensive 3 in 1 machine kind of like the Snapmaker and according to its makers it can engrave EVA foam at up to 150mm/s with a relatively weak 2.8w laser. Even if they exaggerated I still donā€™t think itā€™s far fetched for the Snapmaker to achieve those results with the new linear modules and 10w laser. Of course seeing is believing so Iā€™ll be doing my own internal testing. If Iā€™m wrong Iā€™ll gladly eat crow, but I am reasonably confident theyā€™ll be some improvement over the current setup.

As I recall, the old ones are 2-start, 8 mm pitch screws, thus with 16 mm lead length. (EDIT: Nevermind.) Iā€™m guessing the new ones are 2-start, 10 mm pitch. Part of the increased speed is from lead length, but only by +25%. The rest of the speed increase would come from driving the stepper motors harder with a new driver chip.

EDIT. I didnā€™t even write down what Iā€™d misremembered correctly. I meanto write 4-start, 4 mm pitch but thatā€™s wrong too.

They are 4 start 2mm (8mm)

Thanks, Iā€™m not super well read on the finer tech specs of the Snapmaker so good to know. :+1:

This one? https://support.zmorph3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011529360-Technical-specification-

Says max travel speed is 120mm/s, work speed of 40

Might be out of date spec. They have a blog post stating up to 150mm/s

I just measured, because I had not remembered correctly, and this is right.

So mechanical stepping accuracy goes down by a factor of 2.5 in X-Y. Speed goes up proportionately. Also, torque goes down proportionately, so the CNC head becomes even more problematic to use for anything remotely hard. Iā€™m guessing they tried to make that work in Z as well but the gravity load from the X-axis module, effectively multiplied by 2.5, was too much load for even doubled Z-axis drivers to overcome.

1 Like

Agreed. I also think the loss of resolution in Z has significant impact on print quality.

The torque output from microstepping is so small, not surprised it didnā€™t work on Z.

Iā€™m also not excited about the torque reduction for X and Y for CNC. Expecting to see failures due to skipped steps become more common. While they were in there why not include a rotary encoder on the lead to eliminate that as a possibility?

More speed, less torque, none feedback. Itā€™s a recipe for something.

1 Like

I canā€™t wait for the upgraded laser. To engrave stainless steel you need a minimum of 7W plus the ceracoat. So the 10W should be good for it. Weā€™ll see.

10W laser.
Is it a true 10W led or a 7W overrated?

Iā€™ve got a wobble on my bed that makes tall prints shakey at the top. Sorry for my lack of technical language! I think it comes from the linear modules the bed runs on. Will these new modules fix that?

Will the F350 get support for the CNC module, or is that just for the A-T series?

So, Iā€™m not sure if I am misreading the Snapmaker Store Page Linear Module for Snapmaker 2.0 ā€“ Snapmaker US or if it indeed is incorrect but they list that you will receive:

2x x-axis
2x y-axis
1x z-axis

However doesnā€™t the y and z axes require 2 modules while the x axis only require one module? They even have a picture in the product photo slideshow showing this as an example. Just wanted to bring this to light in case Snapmaker needs to fix this issue on their website or even before they ship the wrong amount of modules.

Haha youā€™re right thatā€™s how itā€™s written. I think itā€™s pretty clear they mean 2xZ and 1x X.

Would be funny though.

if the bearings come properly tightened and adjusted from the factory yes.
if they still have issues getting their factory to do that, maybe not.

haha funny typo, i hope, i have active support thread about rails where the coupon got mentioned so i let support know about the typo ĀÆ(Ā°_o)/ĀÆ

1 Like

It would be great if somebody from snapmaker or community could provide detailed comparsion videos for all upgraded components vs old ones. I would love to hear difference between sound of new and old power supply for example. (Same for linear modules) So I can better decide what upgrades make sense for me. For PSU I was kinda hoping we could get some upgrade kit instead of having to buy whole one tho.