What should be done about Frequently Asked (and answered) Questions?

I really like the idea of a “FAQ” category at the top-level of the Forum (to use the existing terminology) with a pinned post for each section and in that we maintain a list for the various things of interest related strictly to that area. It means that as new areas open up, like say the rotary module, we can add another pinned post to that category.

I wonder if the FAQ category could be configured to only contain pinned wiki posts that cannot be replied to, which would make the noise level much lower. My google-fu didn’t unearth the magic discourse incantation to make this happen.

We could implement this using a policy of “links to the forum only”, so if someone wants to add a reference to an external resource, it must first be posted as a forum link, which would allow discussion related to that resource in that thread which would make the item continued to be relevant and if the link dies, there could be a reply to the source post with a new link, keeping the FAQ still correct - less maintenance work - yay!

As for backups, I run plenty of daily backup jobs for various things, adding a few URL’s for backing up is pretty simple.

I wasn’t here with the previous forum, but I’d be surprised if the data didn’t still exist somewhere. Perhaps we could ask SM for it?

Back to formatting. It could be a simple indented list if we have a FAQ for each category like this:

Assembly / Getting Started

The resources listed here are forum posts that help a new user assemble their SnapMaker device and configure it for first use. If you have questions about a resource here, respond to the original resource post so the whole community benefits from the discussion.

# Assembly / Getting Started

The resources listed here are **forum posts** that help a new user assemble their SnapMaker device and configure it for first use. If you have questions about a resource here, respond to the original resource post so the whole community benefits from the discussion.

* [3d Print Guide_Walk Through](https://forum.snapmaker.com/t/3d-print-guide-walk-through/5945)
* [A350 3D Printing Bed Calibration Guide](https://forum.snapmaker.com/t/a350-3d-printing-bed-calibration-guide/12019)

If that is a suitable idea, this leaves the question, which “pinned” post areas should the FAQ category start with?

@ElloryJaye has proposed:

• Assembly / Getting Started
  • 3D Printing
  • Laser Cutting / Engraving
  • CNC
  • Troubleshooting
  • Accessories to Make
  • Other Things to Make

@Tone used:

• Things to make
  • CNC
  • Accessories
  • How to’s
  • Source code
  • Troubleshooting
  • Misc

I suggested:

• Software

We can vote using a poll, but are there any suggestions on categories that would be helpful in our first attempt at doing this?