Weird first layer on A350

Hello all, I’m try to undestand what’s happening to my SM 2 A350 and wonder if I can get any suggestion about it.
Not using the printer for a while, I did a 25 points automatic bed leveling (at 80°C for PETG print) and started a print straight afterwards. The object to print is a frame with dimensions of 120mm x 240mm x 3 mm. Since the first passes I noticed that on the right end of the plate, the Z quote lowers at a level that the extruder even touches the plate, giving the results in photo. The most weird thing is that each round ends (look at the farthest right part of the plate) with a visible step (up direction) of the extruder in the Z axis! That’s probably the cause of the material left in that zone, but why? Mechanics seem to be OK, no obstacles found while the printer is moving… Why the first layer is not uniform despite the bed leveling operation? Any idea on what could be the reason for this strange behavior? Printer has the latest february 2026 update. Thank you in advance for any hint.
Gabriele

Hello there, i had the same problem and I can say clearly that you have to check the tramming of your x-axis. I got 2 of those 1-2-3 Blocks (you can use something else with 2 times the same height). Manually drive the x-axis down and check if its the same height on both sides.

If not turn off the printer, loosen the screws on both sliders of the Z-axis which hold the linear module of the x-axis and move the sliders of both z-axis into the almost the exact same height as on the other side, regarding the height measured from the baseplate of the printer. It is fine if the difference is around 0.2 - 0.3mm at max.

Then after turning the machine back on and homing check the height again. If everything is fine, redo calibration and it should work.

This can happen after a crash or maybe something was in the way of the x-axis while moving down. Hope this helps :grin:

Thank you Roleon for your suggestion. I’ll try to follow your advice as soon as I find a couple of hours to have a go at the printer. In the meantime, thank you very much, and I’ll post my progress here. Thanks again!

Hello, just to confirm that you were right! I did a manual reset, by moving both the Z axis guides to the top. I then verified, moving manually along X axis with Z quote at 0.1mm, that the extruder didn’t touch the plate. It remains a mystery to me why, in such cases, the 25 point Z axis calibration doesn’t circumvent, via software, this issue. Anyway: thank you for helping me to fix this!