Upgrade the Toolheads Separately with Snapmaker Firmware V1.12.0

@Edwin So it means that you cannot upgrade the firmware without mounting them on the axis? At lest the 3D printing. Contrary to your first post. Please confirm. If you confirm, please update the post, tks.

For a complete and quick procedure, you can upgrade three tool-heads without mounting them on X-axis.

You can upgrade without mounting, but as was said, when upgrading the 3d print head, if you havenā€™t already gone through auto-leveling, itā€™ll try to go through it. Part of auto-leveling is that itā€™ll move the arms down until the 3d print head senses the bed (it uses a magnetic sensor).

So with that knowledge in hand, you can do it with the laser mounted, but you have to trigger the magnetic sensor when it tries to do the auto-leveling for the 3dp head. You can trigger the magnetic sensor by putting the head up against the 3dp bed, or by using the palette knife or any other ferrous metal object to trick the SM into thinking itā€™s lowered the print head down to the bed. Youā€™ll have to trick it 9 times, since it tries to do a 3x3 grid when leveling.

What went wrong in your situation is that you probably had the 3dp head just sitting to the side, so the machine tried to do autoleveling, and lowered the laser head through the bed while looking for the sensor to trigger.

For future readers: if you donā€™t perfectly understand what Iā€™m saying is happening with the sensor, I would heavily suggest you do mount the head your updating (and use the correct bed for that head) when updating the firmware for that head.

1 Like

We are so sorry for the misleading description.

If you have used all tool-heads (3D printing module, laser engraving module, and the CNC carving module) and completed the user guide process . For a complete and quick procedure, you can upgrade three tool-heads without mounting them on X-axis. You can plug the cable in three modules direct and upgrade them separately. If not, please complete the user guide process with Firmware V1.11.4 or previous version .

You need to complete the user guide at the very first time you use the tool-heads. In a word, you need to complete the user guide with Firmware V1.11.4 or previous version.

Please let me know if you have any questions about it.

Best regards
Edwin

2 Likes

Some cases were reported that the machine cannot connect to Wi-Fi automatically after you reboot the machine.

Our software team has developed a beta version to improve the wifi connection.

Users who want to try this version, please send me some feedback.

Download link:
Snapmaker2_V255.0.0_20210423.bin.zip

Cheers
Edwin

1 Like

So, I power on the machine without any tool head attached. The controller was v4.2.1 but the screen was on v1.11.4. I powered down and attached the 3D print head, it did not ask me to upgrade. I did the upgrade again with the 3D head attached. This time the screen upgraded to 1.12.0. Now we have had the Laser and 3D connected on the new firmware upgrade. I have never used or tried out the cnc yet. I powered down the machine and connected the CNC. It booted fine, did not ask to do an upgrade when the cnc head was connected. I did the upgrade again anyway. I did some laser jobs after the first upgrade while the screen was still on 1.11.4 and the controller on 4.2.1(new). It worked fine. I also did a job after the screen and controller was on the latest firmware update, and also worked fine. I power down the machine each time before starting a new job.
How do I check if the tool heads are upgraded to the new firmware?

When I use laser now the Home is not in the middle of the platform. Its goes to the location the 3D print head starts at. Luban 13.14 over wifi, doesnā€™t recognize the Machine or head connected, I have to manually select it form the popup screen when it connect over wifi.

Guess iā€™m confused I dont have an update firmware on my screen ā€¦as well it shows iā€™m on version 1.8 soooo please HELP!!!

The auto update over wifi was only introduced in a later version. Youā€™ll need to download it from the side and install it using a usb-drive.
(note that with one of the recent releases youā€™ll need to do an update of each toolhead separately so youā€™ll need to put it on the usb thumb drive anyway)

i added to my external hard drive but its not reading it so i need to get a fat32 thumb drive or it will not work??

Thereā€™s a thumb drive included with your SM.
Itā€™s the shiny chrome one that looks like a whistle.

-S

Hrm, it would be nice if the machine would tell you that your toolhead is out of date and live update it in stead of having to just know its out of date to get the usb stick outā€¦

3 Likes

That was my original assumption of how this would work - the touchscreen would store a local copy of firmware and check at startup if any toolheads or modules need an update.

It would be easy to do, @Edwin can you pass that along to the devs of the touchscreen?

3 Likes

Did you get it figured out? Iā€™m having the same issue

It would be nice to have more detailed instructions on these complicated machines for us rookies.

Here is his answer:

Thank you so much for your quick response!! I let the machine have a timeout overnight and came back this morning after doing some research and Voila! I was able to update all of the toolheads. I havenā€™t actually tested the things yet :crossed_fingers: but it looks way more promising than yesterday. At the risk of seeming very uneducated, I see now that there are more updates. I have the firmware updated to 12.1, is that sufficient for the tool heads? and the other updatesā€¦how can I check to see if the software is up to date?

@brent113, @Edwin left the company for other interests on Friday. Not clocked any active replacement yet but hopefully there will be somebody on Monday.

9 days ago when I posted that was not the case

Yep sorry didnā€™t look when this started, my mistake. lets hope a replacement appears.

Currently, the latest firmware is 1.12.1. Once there is a new firmware, we will upload it in this post. Snapmaker 2.0 Firmware Updates and Downloads - #14 by Alan

On the touchscreen, you can go to Settings>Firmware update to upgrade it directly.