Upgrade the Toolheads Separately with Snapmaker Firmware V1.12.0

Hi @Edwin,
just want to inform about a minor “bug” of this firmware upgrade: As recommended, I used an USB stick for the update, so that I could update all three toolheads, which worked just fine. The “About your machine” section of the touchscreen informs me correctly that I’m on 1.12.0. Only if I go to the Update Firmware section of the touchscreen, the release notes still tell me I’m on 1.11.4 and shows the changelog of that version. “Check for Upgrade” correctly informs me that I’m on the newest version, so I guess it’s just that the USB-based update “forgets” to update the Online update screen. Just a minor thing.
Another thing: along with each toolhead update it also always updated the controller, which to me seems not necessary after the first update. But I may be wrong here.
Cheers,
Hauke

I had the opposite ‘About your Machine’ told me 1.11.4 and the ‘Update Firmware’ 1.12.0.
Actually the machine was still running 1.11.4. I could not update using the ‘Update Firmware’ screen anymore. I then loaded the update file into the map “Files”. Next to the filename an arrow was appeared, by pushing it the update process started including the one for the installed printhead.
Now the ‘About your Machine’ and ‘Update Firmware’ show both 1.12.0.

So far, I have only used the Laser module of my Snapmaker.
I upgraded the laser and the CNC modules with the USB stick following the instructions (with the laser head mounted and then plugging in the CNC head).

When I try to update the 3D printing module by plugging it in and turning the power on, the touch screen first shows the Start screen and then the ‘Calibrate the Bed’ screen.
I do not want to calibrate, just to update the firmware of the module, but I can’t find any way to skip the calibration and go to the Files page

How I should proceed ?

I don’t want the laser head (which is in the Snapmaker) to collide with the bed in an attempt to calibrate the 3D print module …

This is pretty much the same issue as I mentioned above.

Edwin seems to be silent on this.

I think we should forget the advice to update the heads just by plugging them in.

1 Like

I am stuck at two firmwares ago because with every update there are more problems than solutions.

1 Like

Can’t confirm that. I did every update, and for me it got better each time. Have yet to see if 1.12 is OK, but will print and mill something the next days, and expect no problems.

I’ve successfully updated my CNC and Laser Toolheads – easy painless process.

I’d like to now update my 3D Print Toolhead – which I’ve never used (I have two other 3D printers). It seems that I must now calibrate the printhead before I am able to update the firmware. Is there any way to skip the calibration and just update the firmware? It’s possible that I will never use the 3D Print Toolhead, but if I ever do, I don’t want to get in trouble in the future for neglecting to update the firmware now. On the other hand, mounting the print bed and the Toolhead and going through the calibration seems more trouble than it’s worth.

@herbweiner
It’s not just me who doesn’t read the previous posts ! :slightly_smiling_face:
This problem has been already reported twice in this same thread

This is misleading information. Because users update the firmware offline, and the touchscreen will not update the changelog so you will see the old version in the “Firmware Section”.

The information on the “Firmware Update” page will updated when you connect the machine with Wi-Fi.
Edwin

As you did not finish the user guide process, you have to finish that. This is the default settings.

Edwin

This is a default setting and you have to finish the user guide process before you update the firmware.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edwin

You may want to complete the instructions for firmware updating considering these not-so-rare user cases.

Simply actuate the proximity sensor (level sensor) while calibration process manually with a metall-spatula 9 times (if 3x3 bed calibration).
You could see the progress on the touchscreen.
In the end you have to Jog Z before you could save the calibration.

as @xchrisd says. You wouldn’t even have to mount the tool head.

-S

There is no mention in the notes or onscreen that you need to recalibrate the printhead after the firmware update. I was blaming the shitty Snapmaker white PLA I was using until I realised the head was way off the bed. SM white PLA is still shit though…I’ll never buy that again.

Mark

I actually found that feature to be more annoying than valuable and was happy to see they got rid of it. Just my opinion…

@Edwin I for one would like to see this feature reinstated as it was useful. Maybe have it as a configurable option if some people don’t want it.

Speaking of firmware updates I would really like to see an option so that the enclosure light comes on automatically when opened. Again, configurable for those that don’t want the feature.

The original intention of the flashing LED is to ensure that the enclosure is connected and works.

I have asked our firmware developer to modify the parameters and make the light softer.

In addition, we will consider to make the flashing LED as an option for those who do not want this feature.

Cheers
Edwin

The flashing enclosure light is fine and indeed informative. But the setting should be to define if the light stays on at a machine start. I now always have to manually turn it on.

And I like the idea from @tHeSmUrF to auto turn on the light when opening the enclosure. You know the door-state anyways from the magnets. You are already turning down the laser power based on that.

TO BE NOTED: THE MODULE THAT YOU PREINSTALLED (prior to upgrade) ON THE X AXIS MUST BE UNMOUNTED. If not, this is what happened : while upgrading firmware from laser to 3dprint, the machine will set the bed with the wrong toolhead and therefore smash the laser bed with tool head.

%*$<*£ !!!

Consequence: NO FIRMWARE SHOULD BE UPGRADED WITH A TOOL HEAD INSTALLED.

PS : I was following an “official” procedure explained here by the Snapmaker member team, and therefore if the laser tool head is damaged during the update process, I shall be not responsible for this.