Unable to complete the initial calibration of the bed - new A350

Hi,

I have put together my shiny new SnapMaker 2.0, A350, fully-loaded version.

I’ve turned on the device and followed the instructions as given on the touchscreen to calibrate the hotbed.

While the machine moves about in all three axes, it ends up asking me to manually calibrate the final, central point - BUT THE PRINT HEAD IS FLOATING ABOUT AT THE UPPER PART OF THE Z-AXIS RANGE.

It is nowhere near the bottom end of the range, where I would expect auto-calibration to have i, skimming over the print surface, and in a range where the sub-mm adjustments of the head height for calibration point 9 and the calibration card, would finalise getting the whole thing dialled in.

But, there seems to be no way for me to manually ‘relocate’ the Z-axis, and I do not want to ‘force’ the upright linear module pair downwards to get the print head ‘somewhere near’, as I do not want to damage those linear modules, or have the print head crash-out onto the print bed.

Is there a ‘start position’ the whole thing should be in before commencing calibration? The only ‘absolute’ reference point for the Z-axis, once the whole bed / plate assembly has been screwed on, is after all at the very top-most position - the very bottom is no longer accessible. Anything in between is impossible to ensure ‘by hand/eye’ that the horizontal is perfect.

Meanwhile, unless there is some ‘advanced menu’ that allows me to relocate the Z-axis to it top-most position on both uprights, and then ‘tap it all the way down’ using manual adjustment, I do not see how to maintain a true horizontal.

Help!

(thanks),

Damian

Where does the head go to when you give it the “home” command? (it should ask to do this whenever powering up) It should be going to the top of the z pillars and the head move to the left (looking from the front of the machine). Is it doing this?

If you can share some photos of your machine (may need to use offsite hosting since you’re new) we can rule out some assembly issues. From front at bed height, top looking down, front at z-pillar height etc.
Video of what it’s doing as you go to calibrate (what the control pad is showing and what the machine is doing) can help too.

-S