Those are rookie numbers... (SnapPaletteMk4)

So the new Artisan 3-in-1 printer will have a dual extruder to allow for 2 different filaments at a time during a print.
R (3)

Introducing the SnapPaletteMk4!!!
8 different filaments during a print!!!

Combining a SnapMaker 2.0 A350T and a Palette 3 Pro, 2020 Aluminum Extrusion and 4 2 Spool Filament Dryers, the SnapPaletteMk4 can print 8 filaments at once!!!

The Mk5 is around the corner which will involve some cleanup and correct some issues I still don’t like with the device but overall I am very happy with the results.

Sorry for the poor pictures and the quick post but I am excited that I finally got this to a point where I can get reliable prints from it. The main issue that I have is placement of the Palette 3 Pro and the filaments to feed it. Even if I had sufficient space to place it to the side of the SnapMaker printer I don’t think I would like that. Also when the filaments were just feeding directly into the Palette there could be tangles and it was a mess. I decided to use PTFE tubing and quick fit connectors to allow for the guiding of the filament from the dryers into the splicer and that has eliminated the chance for interference between the different filaments.

There were 2 custom pieces that I designed in TinkerCad and printed to support this project. The quick fit barrel adapters and the tubing guide in the front. I still need to adjust the strength of the tubing guide because there is a little flex as filament is feed and backed out of the system.

The SnapPaletteMk4 logo was designed in TinkerCad and then colored in Canvas to be printed and uses 4 colors.

The Fallout Sniper guy was found as a single STL file on Thingiverse, split into top and bottom parts in 3D Builder and then colored in Canvas. It uses 7 colors. I tried to find a place for red, but it didn’t make sense.

There is a lot of waste, for instance the logo final object was 3.9 grams, and the waste tower was 7.9 grams. So, 2/3 of the entire print was waste.

For the Fallout Sniper plaque, 9.5 grams for the object and 20.2 grams of waste; about the same ratio.

So a lot of filament waste but for the results and not having to assemble or color the final piece seems like a trade off I could make for some designs.

As Al Murray from Taskmaster said “What price glory?”
OIP (3)

What is the overall cost of this total system, well the SnapMaker 2.0 A350T with enclosure, a Palette 3 Pro, 4 filament dryers, 2020 aluminum extrusions, lots of connectors and PTFE tubing as I found a solution I liked and a strained relationship with my spouse. Worth it, I think so…

Detlef

6 Likes

Absolutely astounding work! Is it something that the rest of us could replicate? What type of expertise would that require?

This really did not take that much expertise. I cut the 2020 extrusion to be the support for the tubing and the Palette, but I am sure that you can find something that would work. The default setup for the Palette is a spool holder that holds 8 spools that feed the 8 lines of filament into the splicer. I just couldn’t stand that type of chaos and the chance the lines could interfere with each other. There are still improvements I want to make to this. The tubing and quick connect are available on Amazon and did not cost that much. The biggest thing is the support for the tubing and the Palette to hold it above the Snapmaker. A box would work but I had the extrusion left over from another project, so I decided to use that instead. The filament dryers I found and like because they control the temperature and humidity and they also provide a way to feed the filament into the tubing.

I am betraying my ignorance, but how does the PalleteMk4 interface with the Snapaker control head?

A USB cable between the Palette splicer controls the Snapmaker. The splicer then assembles the filament into the right order and times the extrusion for the color at the right time. I was skeptical at first that this would work but it does. Downside is longer print and waste tower.

Thanks! Please keep posting as you learn more about the Pallet splicer.

Will this work with the A350? (the original Kickstarter model?)

Is it available for purchase? (both firefox and chrome report report “Forbidden” when I open the store page)

Any chance the dual extruder that was promised for the A350 will ever ship?