Spoiler Alert! Ask me about the Air Purifier? Coming on July 23, 2021!

Looks like it requires a separate power supply. Interesting.

2 Likes

We only have one purifier product. The size above means that the Air Outlet Connector sticks out beyond mian part 31mm. Just like @MooseJuice said

Thanks! I just saw this image for the first time!

Made apparently just for laser and 3D printing use. CNC wasnā€™t addressedā€¦granted this composite filter would easily screen out large airborne particulate matter. ā€œNow, you donā€™t need to shop around for a third-party air purifier or DIY a substitute yourself. Designed especially for laser cutting & engraving and 3D printing air filtration as a brand new Snapmaker 2.0 addon, the Snapmaker 2.0 Air Purifier is the perfect match for your Snapmaker 2.0 and the Enclosure to keep your air refreshed during your creative journey.ā€

1 Like

@WilliamBosacker Iā€™m fully expecting the forum to blow up with threads saying their filter is already clogged very shortly after receiving it. The better way would be to have different filter elements to put in for different modes.

Please forgive me if I write something quite unpleasant.

Why does Snapmaker 2.0 need an air purifier?

Snapmaker puts a lot of internal power into selling air purifiers, but very little into addressing the various bugs and specifications that we as consumers are having trouble with.

I asked the forum and GitHub for a suggestion to display the Mac address in the controllerā€™s machine information, since schools and companies sometimes set up connection restrictions by Mac address for security control in WI-FI environments.

This fix is supposed to improve the user environment, but it is still left unaddressed.

Iā€™m sure many other people who have suggested various improvements and reported problems are disappointed that they have not been addressed.

In the interest of Snapmakerā€¦
If you look at this forum before you buy, you will see that there are a lot of problems.
If you feel that Snapmaker is open to suggestions and requests for improvements from users, then you will be able to make a positive decision about purchasing the expensive Snapmaker 2.0.

I am concerned that people who have asked for suggestions and improvements on the forums and GitHub in the past are disappearing from the Snapmaker forums.
People who have reported bugs, asked for improvements, or suggested new features are losing heart after a long period of inactivity.

I have a Snapmaker Original and a Snapmaker A250, and the reason I bought the A250 was because I found it to be very active and easy to follow on the forum for improvements and initiatives.

I canā€™t tell you how much Edwin has done to follow up with everyone and bridge the gap within Snapmakerā€¦
When I think about it now, I sometimes wonder if I got caught in the middle between Snapmakerā€™s internal thinking and user feedback.

Sometimes the userā€™s voice is almost a scream.
Sometimes what Snapmaker thinks is not important is actually a big problem.

I canā€™t connect to Wi-Fi.

How long are we going to let this happen?
If you canā€™t handle it, you donā€™t need Githib, right?
More to the point, if you canā€™t do it, get off your ass and make it open source.

There are other things that should be done than air purifiers.

I write this stuff all the time, but donā€™t the forum regulars think anything of it?

Do any of you agree with me?

I am very disappointed with the way Snapmaker is handling this.
I hope this will bring them closer to their users.

3 Likes

@Blockmodule i fully agree with you. But I think the air purifier is also for public image, a lot of people are claiming til they are blue in the face that 3D printers are polluting the atmosphere. Those people are almost always ones that have never owned a 3D printer in their life and just want to argue about something. Donā€™t get me wrong, this is just how I see it, with the whole climate change happening now at a far more rapid rate than ever before, I think it has people freaking out about every little thing, especially if itā€™s newer and they donā€™t actually understand it. Resin printers actually are toxic though. As for CNC, and Laser, weā€™ve already touched on the toxicity of them earlier in the thread.

I know that it is harmful to 3D printers and laser processing.
I see the topic first, but I object to Snapmaker saying they will deal with it and then neglecting to do so, or not being proactive in dealing with users.

If air purifiers have to do something for the environment before human health, and quickly anyway, then donā€™t sell Snapmaker.

I understand the importance of the air purifier, but the priority is on Snapmaker 2.0, which is already on the market, to deal with product issues and follow up on user questions.

Unless, of course, the air purifier is the first product Snapmaker sells.

If it is an environmental disaster, there is no need to separate the air purifier from the new power source.
Environmentally friendly design is all about how much energy can be saved from the manufacturing process to materials and manufacturing.

It is more destructive to the environment to manufacture air purifiers than it is to the toxins emitted by Snapmakers.

1 Like

More importantly, we can reduce the amount of filament, power, and toxins that are wasted due to Snapmaker 2.0ā€™s failures and improvements, rather than air purifiers.

And even the loss of the manufacturing process of the wasted filament, is the air purifier a priority?

Even when the Kyoto Protocol came out, the US and much of the world was backward on environmental issues, but now we know that air purifiers are very important.

Most of the factories that make filament are in China, and they are melting the raw materials at a high pitch with no environmental measures in place, and they are making it under a strange smell.

I think it would be a good idea to sell Snapmakerā€™s purifiers there.

Blockmodule you are right, there are better things to do for the machine than put out an air purifier system.

However, since the next item that might come out would be something they are going to offer at 50% discount (upgraded linear modules), they needed to put something out that they can charge money for and also have consumables so that they can have a source of revenue since their filament isnā€™t particularly great. This is low hanging fruit for them to chomp at.

I am with you, they need to get the big picture here - the snapmaker needs work, pretending like theres no problem and rolling out accessories nobody asked for because they are easy to make money off of just shows that they are not as into making their machine better than we are.

The user base is what makes the snapmaker system complete.

I was not surprised with the reponses to questions they gave, being as vague and indirect as possible (as usual).

I am glad we got to see some pictures of how the system is connected via the hoses and some of these details like this, but they side stepped all of the important questions being asked.

1 Like

I am wondering where does the filter exhaust hose go to? I would assume that one isnā€™t necessary as, you know, the air is filtered and clean? :angel:
Please donā€™t reply ā€œoutsideā€ :slight_smile:

I did not expect the need for an exhaust hose. And if there was an exhaust hose, I would expect it to go back into the enclosure to create a closed loop system. (which would make sense to me)

Can you explain?
Thanks

Completely agree.

An ā€œair purifierā€ that exhausts outside is just a fan.

I disagree with the closed loop system because without negative pressure thereā€™s not an airtight seal and smoke and dust leaks out of the enclosure.

Actually the enclosure air seal is so poor that even with a 400 CFM (nominal) blower flowing (less than 400cfm, low static pressure blower) out of the enclosure in my setup currently smoke still leaks out into the room.

In my opinion a better use of snapmakerā€™s engineering prowess would be to invent a seal for the enclosure to contain dust and particles.

Assumptions are the mother of all f***ups. I assumed a really closed system in that case :slight_smile:
I donā€™t have an enclosure, so I canā€™t judge.

1 Like

@Blockmodule This isnā€™t necessarily a zero-sum game that developing features like the air purifier mean that that takes away from fixing other issues. I have worked in major product companies and yes this sometimes can be true but more often it is not - as not all hardware or software engineers are fungible.

Now is this a meaningful product. Dunno, i am also mystified why the hose from the filter might need to be vented to outsideā€¦ but i guess its great one is putting less VOCs into the atmosphereā€¦

@brent113 I tried to say this same thing but got a lot of backlash from a certain somebody so I dropped it. It doesnā€™t need to be completely air tight because there still has to be some air intake or it creates a vacuum. But the gaps are so large that it makes it near impossible to prevent smoke and fumes from escaping the enclosure. It needs static pressure in order to work right. PC air cooling works because of static pressure, the general rule of thumb is to have one more exhaust fan than intake fan for computers but it can vary depending on the fans used.

1 Like

I recall that thread. Yea, ideally there would be a basic inlet filter and then the unit would be sealed around the gaps.

In theory with a large enough air flow the negative pressure should be sufficient. However, I have enough static pressure on my fan that the walls deform inwards, and I still smell trace amounts of fumes in the room.

I discussed with the wife if we should try a larger fan but declined since we thought we might actually buckle the sides of the acrylic in.

The negative pressure things works pretty well, except somehow the occasional smoke particles still come out, I suspect because the airflow is so uneven that some particles are still able to make it out. Somehow. Youā€™d think that if air is uniformly entering that would be impossible. And yet my room still smells like smoke.

1 Like

@brent113 agreed, the best way I think I can say it is think of it like a straw, if there is a small crack in the straw that isnā€™t submerged in the drink, you get a ton of air coming through the straw but the walls of the straw actually collapse inward just a tiny bit, but without that small crack it doesnā€™t because air replaces the volume of the drink lost through the straw. Now visualize the straw as a tube that the liquid is traveling through by being propelled not by someone sucking on it but by something like a pump. Visualize the air that replaces the lost liquid is static pressure (whether from intake fan or other method) the liquid the fumes, and the crack is the gaps in the enclosure. The liquid, if it were fumes instead, a small amount would escape through that small crack. As everyone knows, Iā€™m not good at explaining things so this probably only makes sense to me. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There needs to be SOME kind of inlet for air, or you would just be forming a vacuum. Perhaps instead of haphazard gapping, a checkvalve like youā€™d find on a respirator would do, but I tend to agree, the less than superb design on the enclosure actually works to its own benefit with this case, so long as the outlet flow is enough to prevent the cracks from leaking out the smoke/dust.

2 Likes

@MooseJuice in theory, if there was a higher static pressure fan, @brent113ā€™s enclosure walls would no longer ā€œsuck inā€ because the higher pressure would force more air to come in through the gaps also preventing the fumes from escaping. But this WOULD require the bottom of the enclosure to be air tight to ensure it pulls the air in more from the gaps where the fumes were escaping. I think the fans designed placement is actually detrimental to its design, it should probably be up top, preferably directly above the bed.

Sure, that makes sense,