Spindle stalling every time

I’ve only had stalling on really deep cuts with it contacting both sides. And that was when I was using a 1/4" downcut bit and there was also simply too many wood shavings built up and it bogged down. I’ve had more problem with chattering and losing steps when I was trying to run 600mm/m and 2mm step down in some particularly tough oak. It still didn’t stall - it just loosened up the x-axis so I had play in it. There should be almost no play in the tool head:

There’s definitely something wrong with your spindle if it’s stalling on 1/4" or smaller bits and your step down is 2mm or less. (1mm is usually the most I try) and speed is.

-S

Hi @Zoli. Have you contacted support? Please send an email to support@snapmaker.com if did not do this. You may mention Potter in the email and we can have further check via the emails. Thanks.

Hmm… after all this complaining about table floating and tool stalling…, it turn out i’m the idiot with my 30 years cnc experience :joy:
when i put a machine together at the beginning, i installed the carriage upside down to the posts :man_facepalming:… i just realized my mistake… i turned the carriage to right side up… no more tool stalling and much less table floating :man_facepalming::joy::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:… i’m feel micro right now :joy::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Oof, good on you for posting the solution :+1:

@Potter since assembling the carriage upside down and also assembling the linear modules not aligned properly with the base are both still very prevalent issues can the developers who wrote the manual improve the quality of the pictures and instructions in the assembly guide?

I’d estimate this is the 2nd most common problem on the forum after the extruder calibration not being set at shipment, something unexpected by new users.

yes… that’s why i end up posting it… to show how a simple mistake can cause major problems… make sure others learn from it :joy::man_shrugging:

never got that far with the project…
hope it’s a good lesson for everyone to pay attention to assembly instructions :+1:

Ah, thanks for your reply. It is true that it will cause many problems if the metal supporting platform and the Y-axes are not assembled properly.

I’ll forward this issue to related colleague for a further check.

@potter one more suggestion, upon manufacture of the frame, the “web” platform frame should just have a final milling to ensure its flatness. Most of the problems of it come from the fact that a final milling didn’t happen where the frame attaches to the heated bed, if those were milled flat with each other a lot of leveling problems would disappear.

eh? Mine is milled on all contact points. Pic? Maybe you got a defective one.

@brent113 not mine specifically, though I do know the points aren’t level with each other as I can feel it pulling the heated bed down bowing the bed slightly as I tighten it instead of coming to a light snug stop. As soon as I feel that I back off. Multiple people have ended up just milling the mount points flat.

I tighten with it heated and from the center out.

I agree if by ‘final milling’ you mean a spring pass or other light last pass.

The milling forces deflecting the thin webbing is what I recall the conclusion was elsewhere in the forum. The people I believe you are referring to re-milled their mount points to improve flatness.

There are other possible causes though that additional milling would not resolve, like tension in the crytal lattice relaxing after machining.

Perhaps a more precise recommendation would be to properly QA/QC the platforms and reject sending out platforms out of their own listed tolerances. I and a couple other people have received platforms with deviation outside their listed tolerances, despite milling at the factory. Carefully re-milling would correct that.

1 Like

@brent113 exactly this. I’m so tired today I couldn’t think of the right term.

1 Like

The underlying problem seems to be that the castings for the webbing/platform were not relieved of casting stress, or inadequately so. Castings never cool uniformly, and always end up with some amount of residual stress. Stress cause strains, that is, instantaneous changes in length, which become changes in shape. The effect is larger in castings with thin cross sections. The specific stresses are larger because of the higher surface area to volume ratio, and the relative strains are larger because there’s less material to resist the stresses.

Machining operations may exacerbate this effect, because much of the stress is concentrated near the surface (cold mold, hot metal). Remove some of the surface metal and the strain pattern will change. That’s why you always relieve casting stress first and do machining operations second. Stress will relieve spontaneously over time, which means it may change shape over time, all this even without machining.

Stress relief of a casting usually uses some kind of heat treatment. The details here are irrelevant. The point is it costs money. If you don’t know why you need stress relief, why pay for it, particularly when you’re trying to low-ball parts cost generally.

Practical advice: At the 10 month mark after delivery, users would do well to inspect their platforms for flatness. If they are warped, it may be that they were shipped that way (if never inspected) or became that way through spontaneous stress relief. It’s appropriate to make a warranty claim for replacement if the platform is warped at any time during the warranty period.