Snapmaker Vinyl Cutter Attachment

There is a way. I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q4J4HVB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to cut the bed plate support (spider); leveling the build plate for all 3 functions. I downloaded the build plate file that someone drew up here. Imported it into F360. Then made a .5mm single pass path to hit all the raised lands that the build surfaces bolt to. I made the first cut, which hit a couple of the lands. and dropped it .5mm each pass till it cleaned all of them. It took several passes and I had to stop before completely cutting the left rear corner or I risked removing the lands completely. Don’t remember the head speed but it was really slow. The head had to be mounted offset on the axis bracket to the right so that the lands on the right side of the spider would be cut.
I did this a couple(?) years ago so I don’t have the files anymore. But I have no issues with leveling any of the build surfaces. The sensor on mine melted (twice) several months ago so I just manually level it. The only time I have to level it is when I change heads or build surfaces.
EDIT: Make sure your machine is properly assembled, square and adjusted prior to cutting the spider. Also make sure all the axis’ are moved by hand to the stops before turning on the machine.

So I downloaded and printed the head, and got the drag knife off amazon and put it all together, but I’m having some trouble figuring out how to cut out a sheet of vinyl using the CNC settings in Luban. Basically, I imported a PNG of the outline that I want to cut, and it seems like it’s just starts ‘carving’ the vinyl, as it would do for a CNC block of wood, starting at the bottom edge of the image frame and moving back and forth along that area. What am I doing wrong? Does anybody have the time to give me a step by step ‘for dummies’ version of what I need to do to make it work right?

Edit -
Nevermind - for anyone that stumbles upon this, the solution was to create a vector graphic and use that. Then use the vector option, which isn’t there when you use a png.

Interestingly enough, a Cricut 12x12 cutting mat fits almost perfectly on top of the CNC wasteboard, and has a slight tacky-ness to it to hold the vinyl down.

1 Like

Anybody used something like this?

It would require a redesign of the drag knife holder, but is completely possible.

One would use it directly with the CNC attachment, not spinning tho :slight_smile: Just clamp it in the collet and go, no additional mods.
In Fusion 360 you would need to set offset to the knife, for proper tool path - Cutting with a Drag Knife in Fusion 360 | Fusion 360 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

The process is identical to this with specifics to snapmaker tech - Setting Up & Using Drag Knives | Donek | WorkBee CNC Machine - YouTube

I have created a drag knife holder inspired by gil.a.ramirez that works with the Quick Swap Kit

Files are on Thingiverse:

It requires a compression spring which can be from a retractable ball point pen.
Use the CNC head on SnapMaker
Lower the blade until it barely touches the material to cut as your Origin.

Set your target depth and stepdown to .5mm, 1 pass

3 Likes

Nicely done!