SN 2.0 for Mat Cutting

Has anyone successfully used the Snapmaker for cutting photographic mats? I assume CNC would be the approach for this, but I haven’t been able to find any references/examples of this use case.

Not being a native speaker, I am not sure if I fully understand what “photographic mats” are - a google search indicates that these are the passepartouts that go into picture frames to mask a photo. If that is right, I guess using the laser to cut the cardboard would be most efficient and easy to do. If I failed to understand the word, perhaps you can explain a bit more or send a picture?

Thank you for your idea! Yes, they are the cardboard boarders placed in a frame to dress up a photo being framed. I can imagine a few ways of doing this as well: CNC cutting with a straight bit, or a vee shaped bit. …or as you suggest, using a laser. However I have seen enough comments from people to know there there are some challenges with these approaches. The CNC bits tend to tear up the material and the obvious issue with the laser would be the blackened edges. Since this is a visual product that won’t be painted or anything, blackened edges ruin the product.

Does anyone have a technique they have TRIED and like?

Last remarks before I stay silent (not having actual experience with photo mats): Perhaps a drag knife is a good approach? Needs a bit of tinkering: Snapmaker Vinyl Cutter Attachment

As for blackening: That is certainly happening, have done my bit of cardboard laser cutting. However, with a cloth or even your bare fingers you can remove most of the soot and get it “safe” - however, perhaps try it first on something not too important/expensive…

Actually that Vinyl cutter idea might be the best way to get something that is one and done rather than needing post processing. Thank you for your suggestions.

Hobby knife and ruler is the best choice.

The traditional method uses a device called a mat cutter, which uses a sharp blade at a 45⁰ angle. You can find recipes for simple ones that use razor blades on Thingiverse. You’re not going to get the correct angle with the laser or a standard drag knife.

Oh, that’s an idea. Make a mat cutter with the printer. Thank you.