Snapmaker Vinyl Cutter Attachment

I have designed a Vinyl Cutter attachment for the Snapmaker 2.0 bracket. The STL files have been uploaded to MyMiniFactory here: MyMiniFactory Snapmaker 2.0 Vinyl Cutter (Drag Knife) the device allows conversion of the Snapmaker into a drag knife for cutting vinyl, primarily, since using a laser to cut vinyl is extremely hazardous to your health. Feel free to give it a shot and let me know how you like it.

IMG_20201113_222207_01

20 Likes

Hereā€™s an example of what weā€™re doing with the vinyl cutter.

3 Likes

Very nice. Did you CNC or laser the ā€œLittle Boysā€. Was the vinyl stuck to the board, cut, and then the excess peeled off?

I developed a vinyl cutter adapter for the Snapmaker and cut the vinyl first. The little boys were laser cut

Nice, but how you control it?
Can you use luban for this?
As there is no print head, how do you use the printer?

Thanks

a. You control it either in Luban or directly by uploading gcode to the machine via the usb key.
b. Yes, but make sure speed is very slow (double digits).
c. You connect either the CNC or the laser to the machine and leave the head lying next to the machine out of the way of the bed.

Could you make a short video. Iā€™d love to see it in action.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link to a video I took while testing the final version.

5 Likes

That looks great!

Do you have a tool head plugged into the controller whilst youā€™re using this?

Yes, the CNC head is what I used.

Iā€™d love to try this out. Sorry if I just missed it somewhere, but do you have instructions on how to do this? How to setup the proper depth, calibration? What cutter you used? Are you just running the printer as if cutting CNC?

What I do is I use Inkscapeā€™s Path to Gcode tool to develop the Gcode file (Luban would be similar) set a slow speed if you use Luban. Single pass, no step down. Load up the file to the machine. Start the job. First thing it will do is ask for the work origin. Set it so that that the blade holder is at the correct horizontal location on the bed based on your jobā€™s origin. Lower the blade until it is pushed upward into the housing about 1 mm. Now you should be able to start.

1 Like

I purchased the cutter and printed the parts. Iā€™m all ready to try it but I canā€™t figure out how to make the files. The issue is that with the cnc head on the snapmaker will only allow me to use the .cnc file type. I tried getting it setup using the cnc tools, but I havenā€™t figured out how to get the settings right.

All gcode files are just text files.
Snapmaker needs to see .cnc as file type for cnc, .nc for laser and .gcode for 3d.
So you should be able to just change the end name of your file to the one itā€™s supposed to be. There are settings in both windows and mac that will hide this so you need to make sure that this is set to make them visible.
Obviously the commands within the text need to be appropriate for the type of work being done.
-S

Thatā€™s what I was doing. The laser file seemed easier to create because it had the single pass option, and the border cutout option for the file. I generated that file, then figured Iā€™d rather have the cnc head sitting idle than the laser head shooting at the wall. So I changed the file type to CNC. I opened the Gcode in Notepad++ and commented out the m3 code since I figured that was the laser on command. I tried that file and it said it wasnā€™t compatible. Maybe I should try it with the M3 in and that will just turn on the spindle instead. Iā€™ll give it a few more experiments here.

Nevermind, ignor that last I was way overcomplicating. I just needed to use the CNC settings and it was easy. Now Iā€™ve finished my first test cut and itā€™s time to try something cool.

Sorry to spam replies, but for anyone trying to do the same thing, you canā€™t set the step down and end depth to zero, but you can set them both to 0.01. Thats the same as a single pass. Then you navigate in the software to set the work origin, then you start the application.

Glad you sorted it out. I use the Inkscape PathtoGcode addon. It uses the CNC code by default and seems to be able to code the paths for a drag knife better than Lubanā€™s CNC function does. If your stickerā€™s corners lift up or details get messed up try Inkscape.

Hello!
Iā€™ve ordered the Afunta blade and Iā€™m just printing the holder.
Can you give me some information about the spring? Whatā€™s the correct size in mm? Where to put the spring?

Tha Aunt blade will comes with 3 different blades types (30, 45, 60 degrees)ā€¦ any suggestion about usage?
Iā€™d like to start cutting some stickersā€¦

Thanks a lot for sharing the great work! :slight_smile:

The description in the Myminifactory.com you followed to download the STL contains a description of the spring. I recommend you use the 45 degree blade for stickers. You can use the different blades to cut through thicker materials such a leather. Good luck!