Rotary Tool (Warning Tone?)

**UPDATE - Snapmaker responded within 2hrs and will be arranging a replacement.
Excellent assistance.

Hi, I’ve barely used the rotary tool, 3x cnc (supplied tool board) and 4 or so laser runs and today it’s started making an audible tone, possibly warning?
Also, there is a noticeable clicking sound coming from the motor.

I’ve used the default laser test, the A350 is on the current OS and Luban is 4.4.0.

I’m at a loss.
Any thoughts?

Apologies for the 2sec video.

I am having the same problem but snapmaker hasn’t responded and it has been a week. Did the send you a new module?

Yep, reached out with the serial number, order details and a slightly better video and received a replacement motor unit.

I am that I can get them to contact me back via email, I have been trying to reach them for over a week now.

Caleb

Strange, I completed the contact form on the site and received a response via email the same day.

I am still waiting even after multiple emails to them.
In the meantime I think I have fixed the issue myself but I am not sure it is a permanent fix, I opened the unit and found the grooved belt that drives the gearbox was very tight so I loosened the belt a bit by backing the four mounting screws and then did a finger test and it seemed that i could push the motor down gently and it was tight enough to turn the gearbox so I retention the mounting screws closed the case and plugged it back in and tested and it worked as it did before, I am guessing that the amount of pressure was so great that it was bending / tweaking the motor shaft in the stepper motor making it heat up or collide inside the armature, the bending seems more accurate as the motor could be forced to turn with a little assistance then it would turn freely for a degree or two then lock up again and need assistance. mine worked fine when I first got it I did 1 laser burn then put it in a box and haven’t touched it since, then pulled it out a week ago and it wouldn’t work so I think being under that much tension over time has done some damage inside the stepper motor, I recommend that anyone that has had it for a while and not used it test it before your warranty runs out. I am going to keep my ticket open with Snapmaker to have them confirm if permanent damage was done and if so try to find out how to fix it. They might have to do a recall, as others have had the same issue. or at the least put out a community guidance how to make sure this doesn’t happen or how to fix it.

do you still have your old unit? or did you have to return it?

I still have the original unit, but I haven’t stripped it to see what caused the failure.

If you have time / a moment could you try something please.

Could you open the back of the old rotary module there you will see the 4 mounting screws for the stepper motor at the bottom of the case, try loosening them and let the belt go slack, then gently push down the stepper motor and re-tighten the mount screws, make sure there is some belt deflection and that it is tight enough to turn the upper pulley that is connected to the gearbox. please let me know if that made any difference?

Thanks

Caleb

1 Like

Done as you asked and the belt was rigid, with zero deflection, so I was unable to turn the unit.
Loosened the and repositioned the pulley and it moves freely.

I can’t test on the A350 as I’m running a print at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks for testing, you may now have a spare unit, lol

Caleb

1 Like

I’ll update you if it works. :+1:

1 Like

Sweet i really think the amount of tension is putting to much pressure on the stepper motor shaft.

1 Like

FYI Snapmaker sent me a replacement unit

1 Like

Excellent.
Fingers crossed everything works okay.