Problems with brim and raft removal

Used to be that when I finished a print using a brim or raft for build plate adhesion it was a trivial process to loosen from the model. However models were very fragile.
I went through the 3D-printing calibration process that @brent113 had posted here (Snapmaker 2.0 Initial Calibration Settings / Experiences) and got much better quality prints but the brim’s and rafts now adhere like they’ve been super-glued to the model. It takes a long time peel them if I can even manage to get it to all come off. I’ve tried going with a skirt or nothing but the prints don’t stick even when I’ve tried using hair-spray or a glue stick.
So I’m looking for some suggestion on settings that I might consider adjusting. I’m using Ultimaker Cura v4.7.1 and these are the settings I’m using.

Brims would be controlled with brim distance - maybe set to 0.1mm or something. There should be a similar setting for rafts I think, another .1mm offset should help. If you’re using a brim for model adhesion to the build plate though you should plan on removing it with a razor, otherwise it’s not providing good model support. If you’re just using it for priming then don’t use a brim, use a skirt.

1 Like

I buy that, i use a brim but have it spaced out like .3mm from the part, so that it kinda can grab the part a hair but pop right off when i want it to.

if its touching the part or fused to it quiet well its a sign of problem for me, but at least i know the part aint movin :slight_smile:

1 Like

How does initial layer height interact with brims? It seems to me (I haven’t tested this) that the brim is going to be as thick as the initial layer height, not the layer height. I see the Layer Height is 0.06mm, and the Initial Layer Height is 0.3mm. A 0.3mm thick brim is going to be a lot harder to remove than a 0.06mm brim.

You might try changing the Initial Layer Height to match. I haven’t had any issues printing Initial Layer Heights down to 0.05mm. I use it as part of my v1 calibration fine tuning. When I print with Initial Layer Height of 0.05mm or 0.1mm, I usually just tear the brim off by hand. I only get the exacto knife out when I want a smooth finish.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll definitely give them a try.
@brent113 I’m using the brim for adhesion, when I use the skirt the model generally breaks free from the plate after 10-20 layers.
@MooseJuice It’s definitely quite well fused to the part now. I can usually pull the outside edges off without much trouble but the parts of the brim that go underneath the print are well and truly attached.
@clewis I haven’t messed with initial layer heights at all, gonna have to look more into that.

A brim doesn’t go underneath the print, it only connects to the edges. You have “Brim only on Outside” enabled, so I don’t think you’re talking about a brim on inside open areas. A raft does go underneath. You can see the difference by generating gcode with all adhesion off, and getting a layer count. Compare the layer count to a sliced version with a skirt, brim, and raft.

sometimes a brim might go under a part, if it has a taper or curved edge, i am familiar with that being a pain in the ass actually,

xacto knife is kinda the only way

I think I realized another issue, the toggle for brim replaces support. That’s adding brim under the model where support goes.