Poll on nozzle diameter in Snapmaker 2.0 3D Printing Module

The diameter of the nozzle significantly affects the pressure drop along the liquefied which influences the consistency of the road width thus affecting the quality of the product’s finish. The vital aspect is minimizing the pressure drop to be as low as possible, which will lead to a good quality final product.

As the 3D printing module is equipped with a probe sensor, you need to adjust it when you are going to use other nozzles, which will be inconvenient at all. We would like to invite users who read this post to fill out this form so that we can make the decision if we need to make the nozzles with different diameters. We will add the feature so that you can modify the settings in Snapmaker Luban.

In addition, you can also tell us in which circumstances that you want to use the nozzles with different diameters, which would offer solid reasons for decisions.

Select the nozzles with various sizes that you want to use.
  • 0.2mm
  • 0.25mm
  • 0.3mm
  • 0.4mm
  • 0.5mm
  • 0.6mm
  • 0.8mm
  • 1.0mm
  • No, thanks
  • Anyting is OK with me

0 voters

I voted ‘anyting’ because I already using different nozzle sizes.
Just using Cura as slicer which is a better slicer than Luban already and has much more control.

-S

5 Likes

Anyone see this post please vote if you are interested in it.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Edwin

1 Like

Same reasoning as @sdj544

Not yet using another nozzle (will be in the future just to speed things up on larger functional parts). But I don’t understand the big problem. with changing them.

@Edwin : do you really mean just the nozzle, or the hot-end assembly with an alternative nozzle? Because when I do start using different ones, it does make sense, to have them in different hot-end assemblies, just to be able to swap more easily in stead of unscrewing/screwing in the qctuql nozzle.

If you just mean the nozzle, I don’t see the big problem.

1 Like

I use different nozzle sizes. I never had to adjust the proximity sensor because the Mk8 is similar in size.- Never needed new leveling because of that, even not at my sm original.

Thanks for this improvements for the beginners :+1:

1 Like

Allready using different sizes. If there is an order to add, let 0.2 and 1 be one the first :slight_smile:

0.2 is mostly used when i am printing smaller parts with threads.
1.0 for larger prototyping parts.

Admittedly, yet I only use 0.4 mm nozzles, but sooner or later I’d like to try high detailed prints (like miniatures), and I suppose to get results as fine as possible, I’d then would need a thinner nozzle as well.On the other hand, the huge build volume of the A350 invites for large prints, and if detail does not matter too much, you’d be able to print much faster if the extrusion system could spit out the plastic faster. The only thing I’d be careful: Is it just only nozzle diameter? Looking on E3D super vulcano, at some point you also need to have more heat capacity and the necessary speed of the feeder wheel also. I guess there’s an upper limit to what you can do with the stock print head of SM2, so I’d like to have that nozzle :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d also like to see nozzles in a harder material for printing materials that will wear down the standard brass nozzle. I’ve already tried an aftermarket steel nozzle and the experience was… less than stellar.

a more durable material for nozzles would allow snapmaker users to print in things like wood fill, carbon fiber, glow in the dark, and dozens of other filaments that are abrasive and will wear out the standard brass nozzle quite quickly.

4 Likes

Good point, I strognly support this!

Yes, all metal hotend without PTFE allowing printing with abrasive materials and high temps will be great.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why you would need to adjust the probe sensor. Don’t all Mk8 nozzles have the same external dimensions?

I’ve been using 0.6 since I started 3D printing, before getting the Snapmaker. This makes it possible to do carbon fiber and filled filaments without clogging. Also what would be good is if we could get a all-metal hot end for doing PETG and Nylon prints.
Of course I made my own like another post on the forum showed how to do, but it would be nice to have one available from Snapmaker since the quality of build is so good!

1 Like

I am afraid that some MK8 nozzles have different external dimensions as we have tried to purchase nozzles from Taobao.

We would like to offer a better users experience regarding the nozzle dimensions.

Cheers
Edwin

There are a few different variations for the shape of mk8 nozzles. While most will work, you might need to adjust the sensor or you might gouge your bed while calibrating. It’s easy enough to check that the dimensions and shape are the same as the SM nozzles though. As far as accuracy and consistency that’s another matter and depends on the supplier.
It would be nice for those who don’t feel confident to have official SM nozzles, but it’s not necessary.
-S

Thank you for your votes. I will keep my eyes on this poll and collect your feedback. Your feedback is very helpful to us to offer better products.

Edwin

I switched to a 0.2 mm nozzle and was able to get good prints after quite a bit of tweaking. No issues with the proximity sensor. I printed in PLA, but also a fair amount of PVB which really allowed me to get nice finishes in tiny prints. I was using Cura and I was printing HO scale furniture, dogs and cats, so sub-mm resolution. I’m an extreme novice only printing since mid-Jan 2021 and with limited time. I got the Snapmaker on Dec 24th 2020 and started with the laser. I really want to try more in that but I have so many things to try on the printer too. I agree with the comments on harder nozzles to print other interesting materials.

2 Likes

My nozzle library runs from 0.2 to 1mm.

I have purchased many, many different nozzles. MK8 nozzle should be relatively universal - however if you want to keep an eye out - just make sure its 13mm long.

I admit that my microswiss nozzles differ a bit in shape, but only in regard to the flat size for removal.

This question is kinda silly, and boiling it down to the honest truth, the question being asked is “can we get away with not bothering to add nozzle changes to luban?”

if you expect people to use it for any period of time - every slicer on the market has this feature.

With that said, it doesnt really matter a whole lot, for the same reason - cura, simplify3d, pursa all support this feature. the question snapmaker needs to ask themselves is - do you want to throw in the towel and keep your slicer at elementary level for people to graduate out of, or do you want to make a good slicer and hopefully the respect earned will allow you to sell more parts to the users

what really is a bummer is - for some reason something is so goofy with the machine that some times only luban can print something, the better slicers will shift layers occasionally on some geometries. something about luban and the firmware of the machine know each other well enough to avoid that, but its not the right answer.

2 Likes