Nozzle size change

I am sure this is a common topic, but I couldn’t find an up to date answer for the J1S. I have Lubans 4.10.1 installed.
I need to change to 0.6mm hardened nozzles for CF material. I understand that the nozzle dia is automatically recognised by the machine via the pcb on the hot end. I could not find new hot ends with hardened nozzles so bought a pair of 0.6mm from 3D Jake along with two Micro swiss hardened nozzles. I intend to swap these for the original non hard 0.6mm nozzles.
My questions are:
Is this the only/correct way to swap to a different nozzle size?
Is there a setting in Lubans to change the nozzle size manually?
Are the standard profiles updated for flow rates etc automatically when a larger nozzle is detected, or do I need to create a new profile myself? - I hope not!

Many thanks,

David

1 Like

Yes, you can set it in Luban. See pictures.

1 Like

Thanks. I have actually just this second found that page.
Does it actually do anything to the profile? Or is it still up to me to change things for the bigger nozzle, and if yes, then can you tell me what?
Lots of experience with printers, but not this slicer.

Many thanks,

David

I assume you mean" Is this the only/correct way to swap to a hardened nozzle of different nozzle size than 0.4?" Then the answer is currently yes.

You can change the nozzle size in Luban. Click the top right corner:
Snapmaker_Luban_GFGS3xZoOQ

If you change the nozzle size in Luban, settings will be adjusted accordingly. For example line width, layer height, wall line count and speed…

Thanks for this info, but I am not sure I have explained my question correctly. I bought 2 new Hot End assemblies with 0.6mm nozzles, at great expense, assuming the nozzle size detection was ONLY automatic. but now as you say, it seems that I could have simply bought two 0.6mm hardened nozzles and screwed them into the existing hot ends for much less money and modified the size manually in the slicer. I’m not being cheap, just want to know for the future if I want to use more sizes.

Cheers,

David

Yes that is correct. The only advantage of having an extra set of hot ends is easier/safer/faster nozzle changes…

Ok, good to know. I do like having the ability to simply swap the hot ends, but it will get expensive if I want too many sizes:-)

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

David

Just noticed that when I change the nozzle size manually from 0.4mm to 0.6mm the FAST and SMOOTH print profiles disappear. Is this the expected behaviour?
Also noticed that most of the NORMAL parameters were missing when “more settings” is selected.
I had to revert to a backup copy of the config file to get everything back to normal - That’s a worry.

Yes for Snapmakers level of proffesionalism, this is to be expected :smiling_face: Obviously, it would have been better with one set of default/normal/fast/smooth values for each nozzle size… For experienced users, i would say that it is best to avoid/ignore the nozzle size “setting” because it is only a preset for other settings. Just adjust line width, layer height and what not accordingly…

No I take that back :smiling_face: It’s best to have the nozzle size set to the correct value and then check/adjust the affected settings/values manually…

Got it! It does seem a bit flaky to say the least, but I am slowly getting to grips with it since getting the J1 after 4 years of my Creality CR10 and Cura.
So far I am very happy with the J1’s performance. I have some advanced projects coming up that will use ASA and Nylon reinforced with Carbon fibre so fingers crossed it all works!

Thanks for your help.

@Biggles4808 No problem!

Basically Rwide wrote everything needed - there is a reason why all open slicers do not care about nozzle size :wink:

But for the Luban users here: in case you are lazy and want to use the automatic detection, you can easily replace the tiny resistor on the hotend board to let the printer autodetect another nozzle size if you have means to solder SMD parts. Link (german): Snapmaker J1 - Hotend auf anderen Düsendurchmesser umbauen inkl. automatischer Erkennung - Snapmaker - 3D-Druck Forum

Thanks. I am pretty happy with what to do now. I have two 0.6mm replacement hot ends and have found the setting in Lubans to change the change the nozzle size if I ever want to add another one.

Cheers,

David

1 Like