Nozzle diameter versus output filament diameter

I have a simple question (I think). I have a Snapmaker 2 A350, with a standard 0.4mm nozzle. I was now just wondering. If I load my filament, there is a few cm of filament being pushed out of the nozzle. If I measure the diameter of that filament coming out of the nozzle, then it is something like 0.8mm. Is that ok? Or is that too much?

If it is too much, could that because:

• I need to replace my nozzle, because it might even be more than 0.4mm in diameter
  • My filament is too old or too moist

Or is this just normal, because the filament is exiting at 0.4mm, but is increasing in diameter while cooling off.

Just curious…

The filament coming out of the nozzle in a non-restricted way (e.g. not on the print) is expanding due to it being HOT and under pressure inside the nozzle.
You are fine.

Thanks for the answer nweolu!

1 Like

@nweolu is correct, however…at some point it is true that the diameter of the filament coming out may be due to the size of the nozzle opening enlarging from wear. The easiest way to know would be to compare your current nozzle to a new one.

1 Like

All of the above.

Great team work gang :slight_smile:

@hbilliet you could mark the topic as solved, so other can use it with similar problem…